Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Our problem is.......

Recommended Posts

No plan B!

We have a plan a and teams seem to know how to stop us, playing out from the back is lovely and pretty but at least 3 of today’s goals came from giving the ball away in dangerous positions. We know we can’t kick it long as we never win a header so teams know they will either press us to get it back in our half or just win it from a goal kick, either way it doesn’t work.

Look at Villa today, how many times did they play a pass out from the keeper at a goal kick, hardly any. They have a system of playing long to Wesley who wins everything and then they start their playing in our half and don’t risk ever losing the ball cheaply near to their goal.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we need a big centre forward to play off, we had them before with Holt or Roberts and we don’t have that now. 

It’s basic stuff and in the summer should have been addressed. We didn’t need to worry about this last season as teams couldn’t cope with our possession play, this league is different and you have to adapt and we can’t.

Also disappointed with Farke today, days like today are when he actually ‘earns’ his money and he makes changes to late and hid in the dugout most of the second half, only coming out once we scored.

No I’m not saying sack him but as much as the players need to look at themselves after today, so does he.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree with the sentiment that we don't have a plan B, but I disagree with the notion that we should go long. We simply don't have the players for it.

That's my point, by not getting someone in who can do that, we've not go the option of a plan b.

I'm not saying we should because that's never going to work which makes us very easy to plan for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

No plan B!

We have a plan a and teams seem to know how to stop us, playing out from the back is lovely and pretty but at least 3 of today’s goals came from giving the ball away in dangerous positions. We know we can’t kick it long as we never win a header so teams know they will either press us to get it back in our half or just win it from a goal kick, either way it doesn’t work.

Look at Villa today, how many times did they play a pass out from the keeper at a goal kick, hardly any. They have a system of playing long to Wesley who wins everything and then they start their playing in our half and don’t risk ever losing the ball cheaply near to their goal.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we need a big centre forward to play off, we had them before with Holt or Roberts and we don’t have that now. 

It’s basic stuff and in the summer should have been addressed. We didn’t need to worry about this last season as teams couldn’t cope with our possession play, this league is different and you have to adapt and we can’t.

Also disappointed with Farke today, days like today are when he actually ‘earns’ his money and he makes changes to late and hid in the dugout most of the second half, only coming out once we scored.

No I’m not saying sack him but as much as the players need to look at themselves after today, so does he.

Why do you think we need to replace 35 league goals striker Teemu Pukki?

Edited by Hoola Han Solo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree with the sentiment that we don't have a plan B, but I disagree with the notion that we should go long. We simply don't have the players for it.

I do not think that anybody is stating we should go long ball, but we simply cannot continue with the philosophy of Daniel Farke in playing attacking football. It is a very very different ball game in the premiership, and rather than being intent on playing the Farke way, we need to learn how to defend and grind out 0 0’s and the like. Yes it was great last season, but we still conceded 58 Goals in winning g the championship. With much the same personnel we have conceded 21 or there about already this season. Surely tag suggests a plan B Is required. Naivety is not an excuse, but Villa murdered us today in every aspect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose one possible positive, hard though it is to find one at the moment, is that our injuries have come in the early part of the season. Should we have had the issue we are experiencing in January or later, I would be extremely concerned. There is time to get 2 or 3 back by November and try and generate some results. It is worrying but not time surely to panic just yet? Having a settled squad like last year means we can create different plans, formations in-game. It's hard to have Plan Bs from the assemblage of players we see starting atm.

Point taken of course (with respect to the OP).... But I think there is a context.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our problem is........we cannot compete financially at this level. I took the view at the start of this season that i would accept it was going to be difficult to stay up due to the lack of investment but i would enjoy it anyway. We are where we are. The Smiths wont sell so we just have to accept the bad times and fill our boots in the good times. it will be good to watch the fantastic football that we have witnessed with a full squad and that is the tragedy of these damn injuries as it seems that the spark and momentum has left the team hopefully temporarily. if they can bring in a decent couple of defensive players in January we may still be okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I suppose one possible positive, hard though it is to find one at the moment, is that our injuries have come in the early part of the season. Should we have had the issue we are experiencing in January or later, I would be extremely concerned. There is time to get 2 or 3 back by November and try and generate some results. It is worrying but not time surely to panic just yet? Having a settled squad like last year means we can create different plans, formations in-game. It's hard to have Plan Bs from the assemblage of players we see starting atm.

Point taken of course (with respect to the OP).... But I think there is a context.

 

 

Sony C, the point being is that we don’t seem to formulate different plans, we continue to attempt to play it from the back, our midfield lose the ball far too much, and as I said, much the same squad conceded 58 goals last season! 

The premiership will find you out! And we are being found out big time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Why do you think we need to replace 35 league goals striker Teemu Pukki?

Where did I say we need to replace Pukki, what I've said is we need a plan b for when plan a (Pukki up top) isn't working. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Where did I say we need to replace Pukki, what I've said is we need a plan b for when plan a (Pukki up top) isn't working. 

Oh right, sorry. Maybe Drmic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ve got to go with plan A at home against Villa. We haven’t got the players fit at the moment to change things up during the game.

Plan B, especially when the defence is stretched, might need to be the way we played at Man City - tighter, still playing nice football but on the counter. Today wasn’t the day to set up like that from the start, but we might need to start doing so a bit more often. (Edit : this will obviously need to be the starting stance and then change if we concede.)

Edited by Aggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No our problem is trying to fit square pegs into round holes again!

Farke to his credit has always played specialist players in their positions and if needed stuck in youngsters believing in there strength.

We’ve been unlucky with injury but Amadou is not a central defender and needs to play in his strength in that holding midfielder position, meaning we have a more solid foundation.

Get the balls to go with Godfrey and Famewo, let them gain an understanding and give them time, we’re losing by shipping goals, tightening up midfield will take some pressure off the back four.

I hope Farke goes back to playing each player in his strongest positions and giving youth that chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Oh right, sorry. Maybe Drmic?

Dr Mic style of play isn't that different to Pukki and certainly isn't the kind of player to win physical aerial battles. 

For the record, I don't want us to change our style to one of knocking it long all the time, just have that as an option, which we currently don't have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Dr Mic style of play isn't that different to Pukki and certainly isn't the kind of player to win physical aerial battles. 

For the record, I don't want us to change our style to one of knocking it long all the time, just have that as an option, which we currently don't have. 

I remember watching Mourinho's first teams at Chelsea who would play out from the back on one side of the pitch then hit a diagonal pass behind the defence to a player running on. Not a plan B but a version of what we play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure we need a plan b in the way some people see it but we do need to adapt our style to help the players we do have fit.

Asking McGovern and Amadou to play out in the way we do isn't helping them. Giving them no defensive cover from midfield also isn't. A bit of pragmatism wouldn't go amiss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

We played this way all last season so I am mystified at how we have suddenly been "found out".........

Because we're playing better opposition.

Last season we gave up plenty of chances but championship teams aren't as ruthless. Similarly championship teams are less able to shut down individuals like Buendia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's pretty much a certainty that Webber and Farke will stick with their game plan regardless. They did two seasons ago despite the uproar on here and booing in the stadium. Webber may even say if you don't like it go and support another team...

Seriously though it will be better when we have players fit again. Not being able to play Tettey, Trybull or Amadou in front of the back four is our biggest problem right now. 

At least the board is busy again🙃

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I get that, but the thread is about how we have been found out tactically, somebody forgot to tell Man City so I can only assume they do not have enough resources to research us before they played us......

That's one game though isn't it? Palace, Burnley, West Ham and Villa all seem to have managed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×