Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Frustrating performance

Found watching that frustrating  ,lots of sloppy passes and giving the ball away ,messing about clearing the ball ,need to improve on Friday ,did not get going until the subs came on.been great watching matches this season but this was not one of them 

Yeah I’ve felt the last two games have been missing ‘something’. Still, we’ve gained 2 points from losing positions when nowhere near our best. Time to change it against Wednesday and bring leitner, Vrancic back in the side. It’s the time of season where surprise results are likely and teams like Wigan are fighting for survival. We now have two games coming up against mid table, nothing to play for. We need to approach those from the start with intensity. promotion I believe is coming on Easter Monday 

Edited by JF

Little bit of pressure is surely seeping in as the finishing line is tantalisingly close! Also, is there an argument that the 'self-picking' side has become a small bit stale & perhaps predictable for opposition coaches? When Cantwell came on after Buendia's red, it looked very likely that he was being earmarked for his long-awaited chance, a la Lewis, Buendia, Aarons, Godfrey, as per Farke's 'faith in youth' policy. He's had two starts now in two high-pressure matches and, while not performing badly, hasn't done enough for me to warrant Vrancic & Leitner a watching brief. I applaud Farke's faith in youth and unwillingness to shake young players' confidence, but those two have already shown their ability to change games & make match-winning interventions this season. 

Although it's hard to argue with a 10-game unbeaten run at this crucial stage, any of McLean, Hernandez & even Stiepermann could also be benched for Friday to freshen up the midfield/attacking third. I'd like to see Leitner start alongside Trybull against Wednesday, and at least 30mins for Vrancic. Bit of coolness & experience to see the boys home over the last few hurdles. 

27 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

“ missing  something “ = Buendia 

Probably, but that’s concerning considering when we’ve lost other key players it hasn’t changed anything and they then can’t get back in

Yes Cantwell was not bad but he didn’t create much, so given we’re missing one of our best creative players it’s no surprise thats seen a couple of poor performances. Vrancic and Leitner both help to pick open defences and that’s what we were missing today.

I hope that Buendia does go straight back in, and the previous examples have been where the replacement player has done exceptionally well. So far Cantwell has not, so does he get one more game to convince Farke he should stay in - he might.  But even if you argue Farke's brief is to put our young players in a shop window to increase their value, Buendia is one of those young players too, and the bottom line is he's our best player. 

The next few games are not the time to blood/advertise Cantwell. He has plenty of time on his side. Need to finish the job with the best players available & freshen up midfield. Leitner to control the tempo & Vrancic to pick the lock. 

• Like 1

Don't want to jump on the Cantwell bashing bandwagon, love the fact he's a local lad and hope he has a great career with us long term... however he just doesn't seem ready to be able to make a defining impact on a game, to put it basically assists or goals. 

Reading and Wigan two very different games.  Reading sat back and invited pressure, he didn't show the invention to come anywhere near unpicking the lock. Wigan pressed us aggressively, he didn't show the speed, strength or technique to be able to work the play out of tight corners (In fact I really can't understand why we didn't have our best ball players Vrancic / Leitner play a part sooner in this situation).

He's not alone in this of course and has massive shoes to fill in the incredible Buendia, but it does seem fairly obvious to me he isn't at the level required yet. I think if we are in the premier league next year then another loan would do wonders for him.

Would love someone to tell me I'm wrong of course!

Edited by Norwich R Us

Well said paddy, just stick together as a club fans and team, we will see the finish line. Good result in hindsight come end of the season. Need a replacment to Buendia if in the prem. Can't believe we are where we are after last season. Vrancic next game for Cantwell( one for the future). Well done fans and club. 

Yes, great post paddy. Fact is we are still 7 points ahead of Sheff Utd, so we are closing in on our target fast. 

I said to may daughter after the first 10 mins 'It looks like we've ditched our short passing game'  that is where we went wrong, please don't tell me it was due to Wigan's pressing, because the back players had many a time when they could have played it forward but instead hoofed it forward to the front men.  

We are not getting the ball forward quick enough, as the opposition simply funnel back quickly, once we are in their half and fill the box.

Which means we end up tapping it around the box hoping to spot a gap...... which is always going to be difficult.

The disallowed goal also demonstrates the sheer stupidity of 'zonal marking', as while you may have one player in his defined space it does not mean the opposition will. So they can challenge for the ball while the defenders remain in their 'place'.

It might work in cricket with field placings but is beyond absurd in football.