Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

2 hours ago, Herman said:

It's like having a conversation with a plate of cauliflower cheese. 

Knowing you converse with plates of cauliflower cheese doesn't surprise me 🙃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

So what do the EU want ? We can let them fish in our waters if they reduce their catch, as part of the trade deal, which they don't want, EU to blame. 

Why not have a read up and find out

Maybe you won't need to post up such rubbish

Here's a fairly easy starting point

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/02/wheres-the-catch-in-the-brexit-fishing-talks

Saw an illuminating comment that goes to the quick of the argument elsewhere.

"When the discussion turns to fishing I always know we are talking about ideology not practical pragmatic economic benefits."

Sums up nicely the view of some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

When the discussion turns to Brexit I always know we are talking about ideology, not practical pragmatic economic benefits

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

THEN READ IT !   The EU wants the status quo, on the over fished waters

ah good, at last some progress ...............however I would counter with

"The NGO thinks the British government’s fisheries bill does not go as far as the EU’s common fisheries policy in its intentions to prevent overfishing"

So if you click on the link above you can then read up on what that policy, as it explains in more depth what it is about. And how it is not simply a case of 'our water, 'our fish',

There are many variables that need to be factored in... if only that naughty fish tend to roam about and not stay in one plaice

4h ago13:41

No 10 signals end of September now effective deadline for post-Brexit trade talks with EU

The Downing Street lobby briefing is over. Here are the main points.

• Downing Street effectively set the end of September as a deadline for the post-Brexit trade talks with the EU. The prime minister’s spokesman said the UK had been very clear with the EU that the talks needed to be completed sooner rather than later. He went on:

We’ve always been clear that talks can’t go on into the autumn. We need to make progress as soon as possible.

When asked if that meant the end of August was a deadline, the spokesman said talks were scheduled to take place in July and August. Asked if autumn started in September, he said: I think we have spoken in the past about not wanting to be continuing having talks in October.

He did not challenge the suggestion that the end of September was the deadline for the UK. Two weeks ago Boris Johnson suggested he would like the talks concluded by the end of Ju

Which does confirm my point that the talks can continue beyond the supposed 'end of the month' cut off date. In fact further than Johnson's claim of the end of July..... actually until the end of September, now

Some might conclude that the ever correct Bill was right when he stated that  it was the UK running down the clock so as to be able to blame the EU for the oncoming failure

And not the 'easiest deal in the world' as I believe leading Brexiter Fox (Davis ?) claimed

In fact, I would be extremely surprised if any deal could be ratified by the EU - and all customs etc could then be implemented by the UK in three months.

Edited by Bill

FFS Mark Francois, as chairman of the ERG, has written a "powerful" letter to Michel Barnier.

That idiocy merely underpins the thought (knowledge) that thickos did not read the WA, and haven't the slightest idea of it's implications

'get it done' bellowed the fat fraud,  as if that equated to switching on a light bulb and the EU trusting that 'perfidious Albion' would honour that agreement and stick to its word

six months to go and the UK are still trying to stretch this out, hoping, I suppose, that the EU will ignore that agreement, tear up the rules of it's Single Market, ignore customs.................................... and pretty much   anything else that constitutes the EU.....

.... because the UK lied to them 🙄

Edited by Bill
  • Confused 1

or back in the real world

'The UK government is expected to decide on Tuesday whether to ban equipment made by Chinese technology giant Huawei from its 5G networks'. 27 January 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51263800

though what on earth this has to do with brexit I am not sure - but I expect our motoring correspondent will be along fairly soon to explain it to us all

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

unbelievable ! what's Brexit got to do with school children learning subjects, what's Brexit got to do with calling me names ?  

It was you that raised the subject of what schoolchildren learn - others merely replied

Where is there any naming calling here - bar Billy Liar

So why not explain what your point was in posting up that headline

There you go again, blame someone else for your slip up !  

Here's something else for you

Brexiteers rejoice as Britain on track to leave EU with no delay - 'We did it!'

BREXITEERS are preparing to celebrate another milestone in the process of quitting the EU tomorrow - with the end of the month marking any lingering possibility of an extension to the transition period beyond 2020.

Edited by SwindonCanary

So, you post up some obscure headline about 5G, then instead of explaining it you 'blame someone else for your slip up'. The meaning of which is doubtlessly lost to us all.

Followed by another headline that is not so much obscure, but just plain stupid - as this has been explained to to a few times previous.

However for the benefit of those who may have missed it. It is written in an Act of Parliament that the UK cannot ask for an extension after the end of this month. However that carries little weight as another Act can simply over rule that.

So just as the talks were to conclude at the same time (today) and have been extended to then end of July, and now the end of September, the belief that the end of the transition is set in stone is false.

I don't have any idea how this chap's brain works (if at all0 as any attempt to engage with him on a rational basis is always doomed to fail, as within a post or two he simply  resorts to his default position of - absolute tighwing ignorance.

9 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Do you really think (if you can) that the Conservative party will ask for an extension ? Who's the dumb wit ?

It would be really dumb not to consider precedent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-49601128/boris-johnson-i-d-rather-be-dead-in-a-ditch-than-ask-for-brexit-delay

Boris Johnson: 'I'd rather be dead in a ditch' than ask for Brexit delay

We all remember that Brexit would free us of cumbersome red tape?! Well that turns out to be a load of old bollox as well. (This also includes new and untested IT systems.......)

Pretty panicky speech all round, £75 per head to build, build, build. This was his conference speech for the Autumn brought forward to shore up Johnson's collapsing poll ratings. Expect the same from Sunak when he does his bit. What the country needs is a jobs budget, and it needs it now. Sunak can't give it because he needs a no deal Brexit budget in November and after that the cat really will be out of the bag.

18 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

unbelievable ! what's Brexit got to do with school children learning subjects, what's Brexit got to do with calling me names ?  

image.png.266530ca6ff5008ce2b2b7dcfe850251.png

@SwindonCanary and the wife enjoying the easing of lockdown and taking a rest from teaching all those "foreign" kids

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Do you really think (if you can) that the Conservative party will ask for an extension ? Who's the dumb wit ?

It is not up to the Conservative party. It is a decision made by Parliament ie an Act

I was merely pointing out the lie in your claim.

I did. also ask you what your headline about 5G,'

Yet once again you are unable to post anything that suggests you have a clue. And please don't start whining about how rude everyone is. Both of my replies were polite and merely asked you to explain both posts.

On that  basis perhaps the real stupid person was me, for expecting a sensible answer from you.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

We all remember that Brexit would free us of cumbersome red tape?! Well that turns out to be a load of old bollox as well. (This also includes new and untested IT systems.......)

To deal with the extra customs work the current figures at 50,000 extra customs staff

and 4,000,000 extra forms .............. a week

these are government figures

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

It is not up to the Conservative party. It is a decision made by Parliament ie an Act

I did also ask you what your headline about 5G was

Yet once again you are unable to post anything that suggests you have a clue. And please don't start whining about how rude everyone is. Both of my replies were polite and merely asked you to explain your posts.

On that basis, perhaps the real stupid person was me, for expecting a sensible answer from you.

Bill ending free movement has passed 👍

Edited by Jools

3 hours ago, Bill said:

I did. also ask you what your headline about 5G,'

Yet once again you are unable to post anything that suggests you have a clue. And please don't start whining about how rude everyone is. Both of my replies were polite and merely asked you to explain both posts.

On that  basis perhaps the real stupid person was me, for expecting a sensible answer from you.

The decision of Parliament ! Remind me how much lead has Boris got in that Parliament ?