Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

3 hours ago, Herman said:

I think we're all wise enough to realise that farage isn't doing this because it's good for the UK. He's up to something, some grift or side hustle. Keep your eyes on some banking regs that him and his cronies will try to get watered down.

Why always reach for the conspiracies? 

In many respects Farage is a brilliant political operator but he isn't half as sophisticated as you seem to suggest he is, though he would probably love to hear that you think he is

The most obvious explanation of this is farage quite likes the limelight and he knows that there are hundreds if not thousands of people willing to give it to him. 99% of those are his opponents who he can play excellently.

The last word on this should probably  belong to canary wunderboy,who for my money (well above the coutts requirements thank you very much) has called this correctly

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Jesus Christ, Jools. Farage was the cause of it for many people!

That's just their opinion, and not a very rational one. Making an argument doesn't force anyone to agree with you or disagree with you either way.

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

Ahem.....

She's been a disaster for Nat West shareholders.

More heads may roll yet.

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

More heads may roll yet.

She forgot the first rule of banking. Keep schtum (or STFU in modern lingo).

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

More heads may roll yet.

Indeed, nothing to see here, Farage’s boss has a multi million pound bet on Nat West shares crashing when they are soaring ahead ( allegedly ) 2 months later ( allegedly ) Farage brings to the worlds attention problems with Nat West Bank and then goes on to throw the bank into turmoil. Farage’s boss makes millions based on Farage’s information and demands ( allegedly ). 
Could only be coincidental and luckyily ( allegedly ) they bet on no other banks having a problem.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Indeed, nothing to see here, Farage’s boss has a multi million pound bet on Nat West shares crashing when they are soaring ahead ( allegedly ) 2 months later ( allegedly ) Farage brings to the worlds attention problems with Nat West Bank and then goes on to throw the bank into turmoil. Farage’s boss makes millions based on Farage’s information and demands ( allegedly ). 
Could only be coincidental and luckyily ( allegedly ) they bet on no other banks having a problem.

Pin on Things that make me laugh

13 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Regardless of what Farage does or does not do, he has raised the issue and profile of thousands of people who have found themselves in a similar position. Because of your hatred for the man you are not capable of acknowledging this.

Thousands of people? Really? The media has been unable to find any of them. Both LBC and 5 Live were encouraging victims to call in yesterday. No one did. 

Not only did Farage make the ludicrous claim that there are thousands of victims, he also claimed on Radio 4 that the banks are monitoring everybody's social media. That's complete nonsense as well. 

You got one thing right though, I do despise him. 

• Like 1

No harm in capitalising on NatWest's self-inflicted wound.

NatWest lied when it briefed the BBC. It said it was for commercial reasons relating to the profitability of his accounts when the entire report that triggered the closing of his account was for a committee looking at reputational risks.

Ironically, the fact they were legally entitled to act as they did opened the door to NatWest being tried in the court of public opinion and, consequently, on the stock market. The verdict came back guilty if events and NatWest's share price mean anything. With hindsight, I bet NatWest wishes it could have had a rap on the knuckles from the financial ombudsman to put it to bed, or maybe that they'd just let sleeping dogs lie.

It'll make a great study in a PR course. Whoever just wrecked their career going after Farage may salvage something by lecturing on it.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

No harm in capitalising on NatWest's self-inflicted wound.

NatWest lied when it briefed the BBC. It said it was for commercial reasons relating to the profitability of his accounts when the entire report that triggered the closing of his account was for a committee looking at reputational risks.

Ironically, the fact they were legally entitled to act as they did opened the door to NatWest being tried in the court of public opinion and, consequently, on the stock market. The verdict came back guilty if events and NatWest's share price mean anything. With hindsight, I bet NatWest wishes it could have had a rap on the knuckles from the financial ombudsman to put it to bed, or maybe that they'd just let sleeping dogs lie.

It'll make a great study in a PR course. Whoever just wrecked their career going after Farage may salvage something by lecturing on it.

What do you call a Banker at the bottom of the Ocean?

A start.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Pin on Things that make me laugh

If Marshall had done this in America he'd be arrested. Do it here and no one cares or perhaps in the case of Hook, don't quite understand what has happened. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If Marshall had done this in America he'd be arrested. Do it here and no one cares or perhaps in the case of Hook, don't quite understand what has happened. 

It's the blasé attitude to this level of grifting means they will keep on doing it. 

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

What do you call a Banker at the bottom of the Ocean?

A start.

You know people are really rabidly against someone when they side with the bankers... 😂

Seriously though: Alex Salmond campaigns to split up the UK and appeared for years on Russia Today. Why shouldn't this have happened to him? Diane Abbott and Jeremy Corbyn campaign for shill organisations encouraging unilateral nuclear disarmament. Why not debank them for campaigning against what many see as the national interest?

16 hours ago, ricardo said:

More heads may roll yet.

And hre we go, your starter for ten.

Peter Flavell  Coutts CEO has gone.

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

You know people are really rabidly against someone when they side with the bankers... 😂

An inability to understand that failure to support freedom of opinion for people you disagree with may one day come back to bite your ar$e. 

• Like 2

Because hedge funders and ukippers are such wonderful and moralistic heroes of the UK. Well done for your support. 

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

Because hedge funders and ukippers are such wonderful and moralistic heroes of the UK. Well done for your support. 

Classic misdirection.

I think most people of whatever political persuasion can see why these CEO's had to go.

• Like 1

I've written and applied for the Coutts job but I'm a bit worried that they might trawl this forum and find the thread where I proposed turning Portman Rd into a nuclear waste facility.

• Haha 1

I have to laugh.

The (Coutts internal document) facts about Farage seem accepted - haven't seen anybody disagree! I'm also quite sure they don't reflect the values of the bank nor of their usual clientele. Then again.....the London laundromat as the city was known.

It's the process that's gone wrong of not simply just privately debanking him to a normal Natwest account and saying no more as fallen below sufficient funds for their services. It was Farage who afterall 'outed' their personal file on him as though he has no shame!

However, its now developed into some sort of culture war with people on odd sides. 

Talk about shooting the messenger!

Edited by Yellow Fever

All they had to do was to say he fell below the amount needed to maintain the account and leave it at that.

Instead they've shown themselves to be bigger liars than Farage. Nobody to blame but themselves.

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Classic misdirection.

I think most people of whatever political persuasion can see why these CEO's had to go.

Indeed. Nothing like seeing a Bank give a nice hand out to people they have sacked. Ever see the movie Margin Call? Jeremy Irons performance reinforced my opinion about them all. And of course Kevin Spacey was a Merchant Banker.

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Indeed. Nothing like seeing a Bank give a nice hand out to people they have sacked. Ever see the movie Margin Call? Jeremy Irons performance reinforced my opinion about them all. And of course Kevin Spacey was a Merchant Banker.

There should be shareholder pushback against the plan to give Rose and Flavel any form of pay off. They are resigning because the conduct of Rose and the behaviour of Coutts bank were totally unacceptable. They should have been fired. They should certainly not leave with ludicrous contract terms handing them millions as a golden goodbye.

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

All they had to do was to say he fell below the amount needed to maintain the account and leave it at that.

Instead they've shown themselves to be bigger liars than Farage. Nobody to blame but themselves.

They didn't actually need to say anything. That was the mistake of the CEO. If Farage then got hold of the banks internal profile of him and published it so what? It wouldn't have been the bank that did anything wrong! 

Simply it's Farage playing the victim to his base with the derelict Tories grasping at straws for base political ends.

What a basket case this country has become.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Classic misdirection.

I've already agreed that she had to go. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I have to laugh.

The (Coutts internal document) facts about Farage seem accepted - haven't seen anybody disagree! I'm also quite sure they don't reflect the values of the bank nor of their usual clientele. Then again.....the London laundromat as the city was known.

It's the process that's gone wrong of not simply just privately debanking him to a normal Natwest account and saying no more as fallen below sufficient funds for their services. It was Farage who afterall 'outed' their personal file on him as though he has no shame!

However, its now developed into some sort of culture war with people on odd sides. 

Yes, this is also amusingly true. Nobody has stood up for Farage and what could be seen as a massive character assassination. I think everyone agrees with what it said about him. 😉

Darren Jones, who chairs the Commons Business Select Committee, wrote: "If Ministers really wanted to crack down on CEO behaviour, they would have done so in many cases by now.

"So why intervene in the Coutts-Farage case? It’s about power. The power Farage seems to have over the Tories. And the lack of it that everyday workers and customers have."

And Emily Maitlis has this view

Because at the heart of this is the decision by a private bank to say to a customer who they decided was costing them too much and wasn't bringing them in enough money.

"They offered him another high street bank, like 95% of the population use, and that wasn't good enough.

"And he made it, Farage made it, an argument about free speech, about liberty, about censorship, when it wasn't."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I have to laugh.

Not bothering to argue with a number of unsubstantiated claims is not the same as acceptance; the burden of proof lies with the accuser.

Privately debanking anyone shouldn't be lawful in the first place: The process automatically marks people's credit rating, making it a genuine risk that they won't get a bank account anywhere.

There's no culture war going on; just a handful of people defending the indefensible while those who actually did it are resigning left right and centre because they've damaged Natwest as a result of their action.

You're on the losing side of this argument, I'm afraid, as evidenced by the carnage going on in Natwest as a consequence of its actions.

• Like 1