Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

expectations

I think some fans need to temper expectations. It is possible that one of our signings might prove an absolute gem- I really hope so. A Holt from the German leagues.

But let us be realist. Such hidden gems are not common and, more usually, you get what you pay for in football. Which means we have just shipped out championship and prem quality and ushered in L1 standard guys. Bit like the Stieperman for Olson swap or the Vrancic for Pritchard swap.

I wouldnt get too excited till we have seen them bed in. I fear we are putting together a team of fairly low quality for this division. Young, hungry and dedicated- brilliant- but lacking requisite skill to push us on. A reflection of our financial situation with the current board in other words...

Sure I will get shot down for being miserable, etc... but better that and be pleasantly surprised than cheer in the new Hucks to discover its a Coney....

My expectation is lower Championship for a number of years or a relegation until we have new more ambitious owners.

Nothing more...

New signing hysteria.

It does make me laugh. Fans quickly justify the clubs decision to flog players like Jerome, Wildhshut, and now potentially Watkins. And then celebrate hysterically about players they have never seen or heard of before.

I maintain, to date, Webber''s transfer dealings have generally been poor. He needs something to come off soon. Hopefully this new batch of German lower league players are better than the last.

Shall we do the wages thing one more time...?

Or talk about Zimmermann, Trybull and the rapidly improving Vrancic?

[quote user="Woodman"]Shall we do the wages thing one more time...?

Or talk about Zimmermann, Trybull and the rapidly improving Vrancic?[/quote]

Let''s talk about the players mentioned first. They''re playing their part in establishing Norwich as a mid to lower league championship club.

Now the wages. Is Wildhsut and Watkins really a wage issue? When does the wages argument stop? I didn''t think we needed to sell in January? So why are we discussing wages at this point?

We''re in transition!

No-one''s particularly over the moon that we''re not in the top two or threatening the playoff places, but we could not continue with the same squad on the same wages this season without threatening the future of the club. Its been a huge overhaul of the players, coaches and management & there have been spells of excellent performances and results (Boro, Sheff U, Bristol C, Ipswich).

If this new, young squad gels over the next few months, we could have a really exciting and successful end to the season and into next year.

[quote user="Woodman"]We''re in transition!

No-one''s particularly over the moon that we''re not in the top two or threatening the playoff places, but we could not continue with the same squad on the same wages this season without threatening the future of the club. Its been a huge overhaul of the players, coaches and management & there have been spells of excellent performances and results (Boro, Sheff U, Bristol C, Ipswich).

If this new, young squad gels over the next few months, we could have a really exciting and successful end to the season and into next year.[/quote]

Well, when the club says they don''t need to sell in January, you assume that finances are fine for now, and that there''s a financial strategy in place which gives them confidence to make such statement.

Therefore, why are we transitioning (downgrading) early then need be? And effectively writing the season off just over half way through?

This season the expectation must surely be lower mid-table, partly because we have left ourselves something of a mountain to climb to the play-off places, and we struggle a little for consistency

For a year or two, a slightly better prospect, at times threatening a play-off place, as some promising young players come through.

Longer term, given that the only new finance will come come from "failed" academy members, or selling off the one or two best players. It is difficult to see how we shall ever afford individuals with game-changing ability, once Maddison has gone.

I''m a pessimist because the of the amount of money wealthy, relegated clubs from the Premiership, will have - we had a chance and blew it!

In response to Lincoln''s last post (because I keep getting a ''non-matching quote block'' error on this ancient forum)...Because there were multiplpe moans and groans, quite audible ones too, from a number of fans about how we should be signing players in this window. Webber et al said that if we were to buy in this window, we''d need to sell players. We''ve bought or loaned players in for positions we needed covering (still an RB short in my opinion).It seems to me that the club have listened. They are aware of what fans want, you know? While we might have lost one or two, we have got some interesting and potentially exciting players in through the door. Let''s see how it goes hey?

My only expectation on here is that those who can only ever see negativity in relation to anything to do with our club will try and spread their misery as far and as wide as possible. As for the club, my expectation is that the squad/team will improve as time goes on, as Farke develops his style of football with the new players to add to the ones he and Webber have already brought in. So if we''re mid-table now, with a kind of half way house squad, then as it develops it should improve to be as competitve as anyone in this division. 

I hate this bullshit of transition, we’re not in transition, we’re in financial realignment, we can’t afford to pay over the odds on player or wages.

It’s nice to see us buy younger players on sensible wages and fees. From division where there’s obviously quality to be found who have something to prove, so much more exciting than journeymen who come here to top up their pension fund......we’ve had far too many here the likes of Jarvis, Naismith, Helveg etc over the years who’ve just not really put in the full effort.

Expectations aren’t there now, I’m not sure many believe we’ll be pushing for promotion anytime soon.

How long are we giving the current owners with this transition? They have been here since 1996?

I agree the talk of "transition" is utter rubbish. It is because we have been badly managed that we have had to go into this "transition". It''s not a grand plan it''s the only why Delia & co can keep control of the club

[quote user="lake district canary"]My only expectation on here is that those who can only ever see negativity in relation to anything to do with our club will try and spread their misery as far and as wide as possible. As for the club, my expectation is that the squad/team will improve as time goes on, as Farke develops his style of football with the new players to add to the ones he and Webber have already brought in. So if we''re mid-table now, with a kind of half way house squad, then as it develops it should improve to be as competitve as anyone in this division. 

[/quote]

Ah realism now being labelled as negative by the very people that hate being labelled as happy clappers.

I hope it works but I am realistic to know that more clubs would have gone down our route if it was a reasonable chance of working, rather than proven routes.

Money is more likely to get you promoted than not. Investment more than not gets you higher up the table, not cheap imports using a supporter funded model.

I genuinely hope it works..

I fully agree with Lakey and Indy in this topic, whats more im of the opinion that, not only of course did City have to cut the cloth, but that its turning out to be a healthy, fascinating and for me, most interesting time in the history of our club. To much money gone on high fee transfers on guys like RVW and Naismith and / or on guys on high wages who mostly sat around season after season  doing nothing, like Lafferty.Expectations? While any manager and board at a football club always wants positive results each week, as do the fans, im actually enjoying our current period in the Champs and honestly think if we  somehow miraculously made the play offs and won at Wembley, we would simply not be ready for the top tier. Of course id be elated at promotion, but soon thereafter a feeling of dread or at very least, apprehension, would set in at  the prospect of Prem footy next season.I just simply believe that DF ansd Webber are building a squad here full of youth and potential, but it needs another 12 to 18 months at least to see a true Farke squad that could gel into something pretty special...and all on a leaner, more realistic level financially wise to. Ive lived with the ups and downs of the last 6 months and can quite happily be patient with it for another season or two, for me its much more preferable to a team of Whittakers, Mulumbus, Bassongs  and Martins.

I disagree about up to 18 months. Wagner turned it around in one window for Huddersfield. So it is possible.

If you choose to believe Webber''s pronouncements, re: 3-4 transfer windows to shape the squad in Farke''s playing philosophy, then the ''realistic'' aim at this stage is a more consistent & concerted push for the top six, and hopefully promotion, next season, funded by the sales of Pritchard & (assumedly) Maddison combined with a dramatic & necessary reduction in outgoing wages. If we''re plodding around mid-table this time next year (or worse) and out of the promotion picture, I think that people could then perhaps label this brave & intrigueing project the club has embarked on a failure. But there are so many potential variables and balls to be kicked between now and then, we should just attempt to enjoy the ride! 3 new signings into the squad today - what''s gonna happen?!

I just hope we don''t have to wait too long to see the new signings.

"not only of course did City have to cut the cloth, but that its turning out to be a healthy, fascinating and for me, most interesting time in the history of our club" !!!!!

13th in the league, the most predictable boring football ever.... really more interesting that us in Europe, League cup final win, wembley promotion, Lambert years....

Oh well each to there own.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]...appear to being effectively managed downwards. Championship mediocrity this. Presumably league one next.[/quote]

Anything positive to say about today''s victory at Brentford - first time theyve been beaten at home since August.

Also your mate negative Lincoln is conspicous by his absence this evening - you couldn''t make it up

[quote user="Mike "]"not only of course did City have to cut the cloth, but that its turning out to be a healthy, fascinating and for me, most interesting time in the history of our club" !!!!!

13th in the league, the most predictable boring football ever.... really more interesting that us in Europe, League cup final win, wembley promotion, Lambert years....

Oh well each to there own.[/quote]Mike, clearly you are just looking at what happens on the pitch, or more like, just since the summer. I am looking at the club as a whole, at one of the biggest shake ups in its history, certainly the biggest since those dark times at the start of the L1 season a decade ago. And yes, i find the whole picture interesting and fascinating, also im positive about the future 12-18 months ahead. Maybe you expected instant gratification, with City putting in barnstorming performances every week i dont know.As to your comments about the football itself...predictable?,,i dont know how many fans could have predicted us winning 4 at home but 7 away by end of January. As for boring..i dont know how many City fans were bored at todays match, seeing a positive display in 1st half with another Maddison screamer hitting the back of the net and yet another defend the Alamo type defensive display in the 2nd period. More nail biting than boring id imagine.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"][quote user="Highland Canary"]...appear to being effectively managed downwards. Championship mediocrity this. Presumably league one next.[/quote]

Anything positive to say about today''s victory at Brentford - first time theyve been beaten at home since August.

Also your mate negative Lincoln is conspicous by his absence this evening - you couldn''t make it up[/quote]

Lincoln is probably sulking-he''s been bigging Brentford up for the last few weeks and today, despite us giving them possession back almost continuously throughout the 2nd half, they failed to trouble us over much.

My expectations are that we will steadily improve our position in the league, the odd hiccup, yes, play offs ,maybe, next season much more sustained ,consistent results, harder to beat. Younger squad with large backup from u23s ready to fit in. Very fit players. I also expect increasing envy from the Scum as our path diverge evermore.I believe its the best plan the Club has had since giving PL the Job, it might ultimately be more sustainable.

we all forget how bloody booring last season was

it was tempting to take them all out the back and shoot the lot of them

today was the 4th clean sheet away from home if that''s not improving I don''t know what is

[quote user="STFU"][quote user="Haggerdoo"][quote user="Highland Canary"]...appear to being effectively managed downwards. Championship mediocrity this. Presumably league one next.[/quote]

Also your mate negative Lincoln is conspicous by his absence this evening - you couldn''t make it up[/quote]

Lincoln is probably sulking-he''s been bigging Brentford up for the last few weeks and today, despite us giving them possession back almost continuously throughout the 2nd half, they failed to trouble us over much.[/quote]

Nope here I am. I’m here after most games.

Been to the game today, first Half was decent, end to end game, but I thought we shaded it. Second half we rode our luck and nearly all one way traffic at the end, as you’d expect from a team on such good form.

I will continue to big Brentford up as they play really good football, and it’s the style that Farke is trying to implement here. Even when chasing they tried to play football and still carved out two or three good chances to score, without lumping it forward. Ultimately they were toothless without Vibe, but it was a very good defensive display by Norwich to see it out.

Great day, great atmosphere helped by two very good sets of fans.