Sign in to follow this  
damn that Ralph Coates!

Murphy or Watkins or Wildshut to start game?

I presume Josh must be red hot in training where the tackles might be less committed than the real opposition on match days, but he seems lightweight, brushed off the ball easily and has developed amnesia when I comes to going outside defenders?

Watkins might not have the same flair, but is a very hard worker, versatile, fully committed to lost causes and in yesterday''s second half put in a hell of an improvement on Josh (who I hear had less touches in first half than any of the players on the pitch, even as a home team attacker when we had most possession).

Yanic at least tries to beat defenders (even if sometimes headless chicken, it worries the opposition defence!)

Who would you prefer to see in the starting line-up and who would then be the impact sub?

Wildschut.

But only because playing away against Leeds. Wildschut would offer more defensively, and he has been most effective away in games like Sheff Utd and Ipswich

Home against Brentford I would go with the team that started the 2nd half yesterday

Watkins deserves to start next game but was puzzled why Yanic didn''t start yesterday instead of Josh, who needs a rest

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Wildschut.

But only because playing away against Leeds. Wildschut would offer more defensively, and he has been most effective away in games like Sheff Utd and Ipswich

Home against Brentford I would go with the team that started the 2nd half yesterday[/quote]

Yanic offers more defensively than Watkins? I don’t think so.

In fact, the only reason I can see why Wildshut doesn’t start is he’s too focused on attacking. Watkins has a better all round game, and with Pritchard and madders Watkinks gets the nod.

However, if we play one from pritch and madders in the 10 role, then both Watkins and Yanic could play.

Either way, so long as Murphy isn’t starting I don’t particularly mind. He needs a spell on the sidelines. To be be used as an impact player for the last 20 minutes where he might be afforded some space to use his pace.

We should never, ever pick one from either pritchard or maddison. They both combine beautifully in that attacking midfield area. They will provide the ammo for Olly and chip in with a few themselves.

The idea of picking one or other of Pritchard and Maddison goes to illustrate the breadth of opinion among supporters. For me, they would be the first two names on the sheet, always, sorting out the system would come later.

As for Murphy, I have long been critical of his refusal to compete for any ball where there is the slightest chance of him getting hurt. In the last home game before yesterday, was it Preston? He was put clean through (Barclay end) one on one with the keeper. At one point it looked a 60:40 ball in his favour but not liking the look of the advancing keeper, he finished up arriving late and not contesting what was a very good scoring opportunity. It is such a shame because he has electric pace, can beat players without trying and has a decent shot but when things are not going well he becomes a total liability. Incidentally, I think Newcastle have paid £12m. for much the same package because his brother avoids tackling in just the same way.