Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

Wildschut

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Neil also spent 3 million on a player now banded buy fans as a 25 million pound player, swings and roundabouts[/quote]

Neil bought Maddison didn’t play him and loaned him out.

Neil bought Canos, didn’t play him and sold him for a slight loss.

Neil bought Pritchard didn’t play him, and critised him in the media.

Let’s not forget players such as Jarvis, Andreu, McGovern etc.... basically Neil wasn’t very good at the transfer game.

AN didn''t get Maddison - that was done by Ricky Martin (or so I am told) as was Ben Godfrey.

Under the previous system Norwich split youth and first team recruitment - which is why players like Canos arrived and then Neil didn''t play them - those players were signed for him, without a huge amount of input. It was the burgeoning of the system Norwich have now, but AN didn''t buy into it.

@Bethnal

I had thought that was the case with Maddison, Thompson, Godfrey etc but am surprised to hear that about Canos- he was trumpeted as a first team player when we signed him.

I think it is safe to say that he is not playing as the coach doesn''t think he is either not part of the system he is employing or simply not good enough or better than others.

We rely on our full backs for crossing under the current system. And Pinto isn''t too hot at that. So Yanic''s inability to cross isn''t a personal trait.

I am of the opinion that sheer pace frightens central defenders and that is why they are protected by a midfield player these days. Hence Tettey''s booking count normally.

Maybe instead of going outside the full back he should go inside him and try and create a bit of havoc.

[quote user="Capt. Pants"]Neil didn''t pick him, nor did Irvine and now Farke doesn''t either. Probably safe to say he doesn''t impress in training.[/quote]

So why did Neil sign him?

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Klose, Brady, pinto, oliveira again swings and roundabouts, even fergir made some poor signings[/quote]

But Man Utd could afford the odd duff signing eg Veron.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]I think it is safe to say that he is not playing as the coach doesn''t think he is either not part of the system he is employing or simply not good enough or better than others.

We rely on our full backs for crossing under the current system. And Pinto isn''t too hot at that. So Yanic''s inability to cross isn''t a personal trait.

I am of the opinion that sheer pace frightens central defenders and that is why they are protected by a midfield player these days. Hence Tettey''s booking count normally.

Maybe instead of going outside the full back he should go inside him and try and create a bit of havoc.[/quote]

Leighton James use to do that for Burnley and Derby and he use to score loads of goals.

The other thing you have to consider with Neil in the transfer market was who or what we didn''t sign.

The defence was awful for most of his time at the club yet we signed more keepers (3) and number 10''s (3 or 4 depending on if Maddison was Neil) on permanent deals than we did defenders (2).

He spent a £8m on Naismith to play off the striker then promptly spent £8m more on Pritchard for the same job.

I’m not sure Farke knows what to make of this guy. He’s more run and shoot than run and pass. Wildschut is almost a force of nature and doesn’t really fit a mould. That is why he scares the living daylights out of opposition defences. This guy should always be on the bench at least -sometimes you need a wrecking ball even if it just to confuse and disrupt the opposition - yet he’s a goal threat too. This guy isn’t for controlled football he’s for when controlled football is getting you nowhere and you need to shake it up.I hope Farke will get the confidence to play him. I don’t get why he wasn’t at Burton - unless of course he has some sort of attitude issues or there are financial issues with a stage payment due based on appearances.

I love Yanic and agree he should be on the bench for most games, and certainly ahead of Marley f***ing Watkins in the pecking order.
Yanic absolutely terrifies defenders, because he doesn''t really try to run around them, he charges at them full steam and tries to run through them. He''s not the most technically gifted footballer in the world, but he causes absolute havoc with defences and is capable of scoring goals.
I was at Bramall Lane earlier this season and he was one of the best players on the pitch. Scored a quality goal and Sheff U were absolutely terrified every time he got the ball. 
I don''t think he''s got enough quality to be first choice every game, but he should certainly be on the bench as he gives a totally different option, and in the first team lineup when we''re rotating players. 

He created at least 3 chances in the first half of the first game of the season-away to Fulham-then got subbed for Josh after an hour-we were rather surprised.

He may not be consistent and sometimes he does lack subtlety but this rather gives the lie to the statement that he doesn''t have any end product. He certainly offers more than Watkins, who missed two of those chances at Fulham.

He looked a better wing-back than attacking player to me. His greatest weakness is he doesn''t carry much of a threat on goal, he will get past his man and then do very little with the ball. Even in League One his scoring rate was fairly poor.

The Fulham game he started from a deeper position which allowed him a bit more time and the chance to get to full speed. The problem is he isn''t very good at the defending side to really be trusted in that role.

Watkins is a very different player and can hold the ball up. He did that very well in the game against Sheff Wednesday when his introduction at half time really changed the game. Either way, neither have covered themselves in glory this season unfortunately.

I suspect Wildschut''s reputation of being a poor trainer and not looking after himself as well as could be expected are largely the reason''s behind Farke not favouring him, Was also pretty clear in the summer that Norwich wanted to move him on and so like Naismith and Martin has been frozen out of the first team.

To be fair to Farke, he has given Wildschut time in the first team to see what he could do - and must have a good idea about his strengths and weaknesses having seen him on the pitch and in training.   A strong and willing runner - until he tires, which has been apparent in games he has started, not enough end product either in terms of goals or delivering a pass or cross, so not what is required for what Farke is trying to do long term. His only possibility was to show he coud learn and improve, but maybe he has not shown that - and that could well be the bottom line.  Farke inherited players and as has been said over and over, it will take time to get the right sorts of players in while selling on those that don''t fit the bill. I like him and the way he bulldozes up the pitch, but we need more than that if we are to develop the new way of things.

[quote user="lake district canary"]To be fair to Farke, he has given Wildschut time in the first team to see what he could do - and must have a good idea about his strengths and weaknesses having seen him on the pitch and in training.   A strong and willing runner - until he tires, which has been apparent in games he has started, not enough end product either in terms of goals or delivering a pass or cross, so not what is required for what Farke is trying to do long term. His only possibility was to show he coud learn and improve, but maybe he has not shown that - and that could well be the bottom line.  Farke inherited players and as has been said over and over, it will take time to get the right sorts of players in while selling on those that don''t fit the bill. I like him and the way he bulldozes up the pitch, but we need more than that if we are to develop the new way of things.

[/quote]
That would make sense apart from the fact Watkins is getting more game time than him.

Very on dimensional and lacks any sort of nuance and subtlety, although his getting the ball and just running can be a useful tactic. His end product is normally woeful a lot of the time too.

I’d agree he’s shown more than Watkins but I wouldn’t be sad to see him go.

Bethnal, I forgot we had a back 3 with wing backs at Fulham so that''s a good point-we went to a back 4 at halftime with Martin going to RB and Wildschutt going to right wing, can''t remember if he did much after that.

Tend to agree, another under performing pro, would anyone really miss either Wilds or Watkins?

I’m pretty sure young Lewis could be pushed forward on that side if needed, with Murphy two good young players with far more to offer.