Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Neil out

[quote user="nutty nigel"]A lot of managers have some performance related stuff in their contracts. It''s entirely possible that being in contention for the play off positions is part of it. If that was the case individual fans stating the season is over wouldn''t hold water. Of course all this is speculation. And I''m sure I''m not alone in hoping it works out for Alex Neil. The idea that a new manager would do better is also speculation.[/quote]

Well, it would make some sense to me if AN''s contract has something linked to getting into the playoffs, meaning he could be sacked more cheaply if he doesn''t.  It would be an explanation for the board keeping him to this point, when almost any other club would have sacked him long ago.  And if correct, then I''d agree, we might as well see it out and save the money - the time to sack him this season would have been well before Christmas.  Yes, it''s just guesswork, but if people are saying the decision not to sack is financially-driven, it is plausible, when otherwise it is hard to understand.  We may, or may not, find out eventually....

As for the idea that a new manager would do better is also "speculation".... well, yes, in the sense that no one can predict the future, so it''s all "speculation".  Keep the manager... change the manager... no one can be sure how it will work out.  But so what ?  That''s life.  The board must make a decision one way or another, and need to make their best call for the future of the club.  They can''t be sure how it will work out, but the decision is unavoidable (and I think we''re all agreed they''ve made the decision not to change the manager this season, barring something catastrophic).

For me AN''s performance going back over 12 months has been much worse than I would expect for an "average" manager, given the squad he has available, at this level.  So IMO if we change the manager and get in a decent replacement, the chances are we''ll be better off.  And that''s as good as it ever gets in football, to say it''s speculation is irrelevant.

I don''t care whether people think this is whinging, I just see it as saying how it is about the club I love.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Yes.

"I see now you weren''t trying to be funny at all."

The penny finally drops.[/quote]That you''re trying to come across as funny, but desperately missing?Yes, it has.

Why is the PinkUn the forum of choice for online mental breakdowns? Give it a rest Broady.

I don''t see the point in changing manager now. Not least because we''ll likely have more managers to pick from at the end of the season and would be typically easier to take a manager who is managing currently (if thats the route we went down) when the season is over.

I think AN has too many weaknesses as it stands for us to be serious promotion contenders but depending on how results go over the next 2 or 3 games we might well have a good chance of the playoffs. Equally, we could end up midtable and AN would have to be sacked and the board rightly criticised for the mistake in letting him have the whole season.

[quote user="hogesar"]Why is the PinkUn the forum of choice for online mental breakdowns? Give it a rest Broady.

I don''t see the point in changing manager now. Not least because we''ll likely have more managers to pick from at the end of the season and would be typically easier to take a manager who is managing currently (if thats the route we went down) when the season is over.

I think AN has too many weaknesses as it stands for us to be serious promotion contenders but depending on how results go over the next 2 or 3 games we might well have a good chance of the playoffs. Equally, we could end up midtable and AN would have to be sacked and the board rightly criticised for the mistake in letting him have the whole season.[/quote][Y]

@Nutty

No i''m not maoning about those goals v Forest Nutty. I enjoyed those goals very much. I was merely making the point that they were moments of individual excellence rather than indicative of great team play or cohesion. They set up a deserved victory but then we will win most weeks if we stick two in the top corner from 30 yards in the first 20 minutes. The game was effectively over after Wes scored.

Beat 1p5wich and we can all be friends again.

Even me and Morty.

The fact that that is all we have left to look forward to this season is down to our dope of a manager.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]@Nutty

No i''m not maoning about those goals v Forest Nutty. I enjoyed those goals very much. I was merely making the point that they were moments of individual excellence rather than indicative of great team play or cohesion. They set up a deserved victory but then we will win most weeks if we stick two in the top corner from 30 yards in the first 20 minutes. The game was effectively over after Wes scored.[/quote]Did the players score the great goals in spite of the manager?[:D]

It''s the whole nature of the football we''ve played which is the problem. Even when we were winning games at the start of the season we usually needed to score 3 goals because we''d always gift the opposition a couple. We just couldn''t & can''t, defend.

Right from the first game it has seemed like a brilliant opening goal would set the tone for us, the whole team would be galvanised & we''d show our undoubted class. Conceding the odd sloppy goal merely caused a shrug of the shoulders. Some of the football has been glorious to watch, but, as on Saturday, we can be simply forced out of a game by a more resolute opponent. Then the odd sloppy goal suddenly becomes a major issue.

Listening to Neil it''s becoming apparent that he only pays lip service to defence. Was this why he got the job? Was everyone - including the board - so fed up with Hughton''s timid anti-football that they decided entertainment was paramount? A cynic might say this classy, attack first & let the defence take care of itself attitude also likely precludes promotion, which is beneficial for the owners because they simply don''t have the funds for success in the Premiership.

Of course the fans will eventually get frustrated by this approach - which is happening now - but perhaps the board hope we can garner enough Forest style results to keep them (reasonably) happy.

You begin to wonder if a 7th place finish wouldn''t be the perfect result. For the board.

Ginja wrote:

''''Not down to the players at all? Are you serious? International players not doing the basics in defence is AN''s fault?''''

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was Chelsea''s collapse under Mourinho all because the players had become useless? Because it seems to me like the same squad + Kante is now running away with the title..

[quote user="nutty nigel"]A lot of managers have some performance related stuff in their contracts. It''s entirely possible that being in contention for the play off positions is part of it. If that was the case individual fans stating the season is over wouldn''t hold water. Of course all this is speculation. And I''m sure I''m not alone in hoping it works out for Alex Neil. The idea that a new manager would do better is also speculation.[/quote]

Of course it is speculation that a new manager would do better but it is factual that this manager is not doing well.

And if you believe anything different from that then I don''t see the point in debating.

king canary wrote:

''''I''m not trying to get at you here but I think you seem to want everything from everyone on here.

If we win and people are still negative about the manager you get on their back about not being able to enjoy the win/being miserable.

If we then lose and people are negative it then becomes ''well I didn''t hear you making these points after we won last week, you''re fickle.'' ''''

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He has an arsenal of pre-made brushes ready to tarnish all those who oppose him.. Of course, this leads to constant contradiction and double standards across threads.

[quote user="hogesar"]Why is the PinkUn the forum of choice for online mental breakdowns? Give it a rest Broady.

I think AN has too many weaknesses as it stands for us to be serious promotion contenders but depending on how results go over the next 2 or 3 games we might well have a good chance of the playoffs. Equally, we could end up midtable and AN would have to be sacked and the board rightly criticised for the mistake in letting him have the whole season.[/quote]You honestly can''t see any benefits in sacking the manager before the end of the season? [:^)]

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Ginja wrote: ''''Not down to the players at all? Are you serious? International players not doing the basics in defence is AN''s fault?'''' _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Was Chelsea''s collapse under Mourinho all because the players had become useless? Because it seems to me like the same squad + Kante is now running away with the title..[/quote]

This is the way it goes in modern football.  Was Chelsea''s poor performance down to the players ?  Probably in large part, but the fact is you get the right manager in as a replacement and it solves all those problems.  Whereas it''s just not practical to get rid of the whole squad...

hogesar wrote:

''''To be fair it still doesn''t mean that Chelsea''s players weren''t a complete disgrace. ''''

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Perhaps not, but did you think they made the right decision to choose the players over Mourinho? Or should they have stuck with Mourinho and got rid of all the non-committed players instead?

I think we find ourselves in a similar position now, to a lesser extent admittedly, but I''d much rather a fresh face come in to assess our squad than Alex Neil - who has seemingly achieved mass under-achievement across players who were performing very well little more than 12 months ago.

How many of these under performers would reach those same heights again under new management?

Not really. All it''ll mean is we''ll have to go for a manager out of work (as any in work will be towards the end of their respective seasons and club owners won''t be wanting to let them go) in some kind of desperate hope that it gets us into the play-offs. The problem is even if that happens we actually have to win them for it to be worthwhile.

We''ll have a new manager on a new contract so won''t be able to get rid at the end of the season when more options become available.

"You honestly can''t see any benefits in sacking the manager before the end of the season?"

Well said. Get the overpaid dope out asap so we can be better prepared for next season.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Ginja wrote:

''''Not down to the players at all? Are you serious? International players not doing the basics in defence is AN''s fault?''''

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Was Chelsea''s collapse under Mourinho all because the players had become useless? Because it seems to me like the same squad + Kante is now running away with the title..[/quote][Y]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"You honestly can''t see any benefits in sacking the manager before the end of the season?"

Well said. Get the overpaid dope out asap so we can be better prepared for next season.[/quote]
Do you go to games, out of interest?

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]king canary wrote:

''''I''m not trying to get at you here but I think you seem to want everything from everyone on here.

If we win and people are still negative about the manager you get on their back about not being able to enjoy the win/being miserable.

If we then lose and people are negative it then becomes ''well I didn''t hear you making these points after we won last week, you''re fickle.'' ''''

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He has an arsenal of pre-made brushes ready to tarnish all those who oppose him.. Of course, this leads to constant contradiction and double standards across threads.[/quote]

[Y][:D]

What is this obsession with going to games?

Why does that mean either myself or Lakey are any the less supporters?

I have probably been to more games over the many years than you but I would never claim to be more of a supporter than you.

For your information, I have bee to four live games this season (only one ar the Carra) and seen 2/3 (?) 0n tv.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]What is this obsession with going to games?

Why does that mean either myself or Lakey are any the less supporters?

I have probably been to more games over the many years than you but I would never claim to be more of a supporter than you.

For your information, I have bee to four live games this season (only one ar the Carra) and seen 2/3 (?) 0n tv.[/quote]Its not an obsession, it gives you a much clearer view as to how the team is actually playing, and it enables you to mix with fans, and get a hold of what their opinions are.Muppets on here who rarely go to games are not representative of the actual fanbase.

I only comment on games that I actually see with my eyes. I might comment on the odd incident (such as the Klose fiasco for their first), but I have no idea of how we really performed so I can''t comment.

Fans that watch five minutes of highlights and think they have an opinion on the game is comparable to reviewing a film having only seen the trailer.

"Muppets on here who rarely go to games are not representative of the actual fanbase"

Are you calling me a "Muppet?"

Actual fanbase? You live in your own little world.

Sad.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Muppets on here who rarely go to games are not representative of the actual fanbase"

Are you calling me a "Muppet?"

Actual fanbase? You live in your own little world.

Sad.[/quote]I wasn''t particularly, no, it was a general comment.But if the hat fits.....