Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Attendances

Had a look at average attendances at NCFC over the last 25 years and surprised to find that the average attendance has beeen a lot higher than many people keep suggesting.  Talk of 12-13,000 as being typical attendances under grim times (Roeder, Grant) just isn''t right. The average attendance every year since 2000 has been well over 20,000 and even all through the 90''s was around 18,000.   Even more surprisingly, under Stringer - arguably our best footballing team - our average attendance was lower than that. This suggests to me that the frequently spoken of return to 12/13,000 crowds just isn''t going to happen.  Mainly because it has never been that - unles you go back further than 1971.  The odd cup game had low attendances, but no surprise there.So the level of negativity that rears it''s head on the attendance front is just scare mongering.  NCFC has great support and always has and it seems to me there are too many people trying to levy down negativity there, just for the sake of it. 

" frequently spoken of return to 12/13000 crowds " !!!! Where on earth have you pulled that one from Lakey ? Even under the darkest days of Chase they never really sank to that level.

I''m sure I remember 12 or 13k crowds and about 15 if we played the scum actually.

But still lakey....

Look at the twenty years between 1980 and 2000. A low of 13.8k a high of 18.6k. And most years around the 14 to 16k mark. No reason to suppose it can''t happen again.

I wasn''t suggesting that attendances fall back that far but the number of st holders over a period of time may. I cannot recall a league game over the last decade or so that was under 20 000 but if we had had the capacity then we could have had much higher. I can remember many many games in the 1990s when we were in the teens and bellamys debut v Birmingham midweek was 9000. To offset all this the city and county have grown considerably over the last 20 years. One downside of the good attendences over the last decade is that it has restricted the number of youngsters that can get in and catch the bug. A half successful team and crowds will stay I am sure look at Ipswich though to see what a lack of long term success brings

Never heard anyone talking about attendance levels like that tbh.

I think there is more of a problem with the average age of the attendees, seems to get older every year.

Severe lack of 20 to 30 year olds singing their heads off now replaced with 50 year olds grumbling their heads off!!

[quote user="ricardo"]Look at the twenty years between 1980 and 2000. A low of 13.8k a high of 18.6k. And most years around the 14 to 16k mark. No reason to suppose it can''t happen again.[/quote]Exactly ricardo that is how i remember it. Only ever on an odd match did it dip to Lakeys 12/13000.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="ricardo"]Look at the twenty years between 1980 and 2000. A low of 13.8k a high of 18.6k. And most years around the 14 to 16k mark. No reason to suppose it can''t happen again.[/quote]Exactly ricardo that is how i remember it. Only ever on an odd match did it dip to Lakeys 12/13000.[/quote]

The lowest top tier gate that I can recall was against Luton in the early 90''s. Around 10.5 K if I remember correctly.25k averages are a relatively modern feature.When we won div 2 in the mid 80''s we only averaged 14.5k and when we came 3rd in the Prem in ''92 we averaged only 16.3kWhat happened before can happen again. Look down the A140 for evidence.

Just for old times sake 1995 Av 14580 1996 Av 14700 1997 av14400 1998 Av 15760 1999 Av 15500. That does not tell the full tale as the highest those seasons were about 21000 and the lowest in the 9000 to 13000 range. I totally agree that we need more youngsters and that the age profile is very high and when a lot of those 50 something''s like me reach 65 the prices will fall

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="ricardo"]Look at the twenty years between 1980 and 2000. A low of 13.8k a high of 18.6k. And most years around the 14 to 16k mark. No reason to suppose it can''t happen again.[/quote]Exactly ricardo that is how i remember it. Only ever on an odd match did it dip to Lakeys 12/13000.[/quote]

It''s not my 12/1300, but those that would have you believe it was low in the Roeder/Grant years - those who like to paint a negative picture on every single bl**dy thing to do with the club. 

[quote user="morty"]Average attendance at Carrow Road in 1992 was 13,858.[/quote]That was the season The Barclay was pulled down and rebuilt with a grant Chase obtained from The Football Trust.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"]Average attendance at Carrow Road in 1992 was 13,858.[/quote]That was the season The Barclay was pulled down and rebuilt with a grant Chase obtained from The Football Trust.[/quote]Yes, I sat in the Barclay for my first game that year.There was about 12,000 there.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="ricardo"]Look at the twenty years between 1980 and 2000. A low of 13.8k a high of 18.6k. And most years around the 14 to 16k mark. No reason to suppose it can''t happen again.[/quote]Exactly ricardo that is how i remember it. Only ever on an odd match did it dip to Lakeys 12/13000.[/quote]

It''s not my 12/1300, but those that would have you believe it was low in the Roeder/Grant years - those who like to paint a negative picture on every single bl**dy thing to do with the club. 

[/quote]Who was it that said it?Give us a name.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="ricardo"]Look at the twenty years between 1980 and 2000. A low of 13.8k a high of 18.6k. And most years around the 14 to 16k mark. No reason to suppose it can''t happen again.[/quote]Exactly ricardo that is how i remember it. Only ever on an odd match did it dip to Lakeys 12/13000.[/quote]

[/quote]Who was it that said it?Give us a name.[/quote]It was Yorkshire on another thread but Lakey has lowered it by a thousand or two for dramatic effect.

Used to love it as a young lad, in the late 60''s early 70''s when I could go to the ground, stand where I wanted and move around the ground whilst the game was on.

Yorkshire I am not sure that space is the problem. Norwich really do well filling their stadium but if you look at other clubs they have plenty of spare capacity but the same demographics but when my kids dragged me to Reading rock this year it was full of the 20 to 30 year old bracket singing their heads off.

It seems more of a problem getting them to go in numbers anymore.

[quote user="morty"]He hasn''t though, I remember attendances of 12 and 13k.[/quote]So do i but i thought this was about average attendances and the original post referred to the Roeder/Grant era. Now off out for the day so i will leave you with Lakey.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"]He hasn''t though, I remember attendances of 12 and 13k.[/quote]So do i but i thought this was about average attendances and the original post referred to the Roeder/Grant era. Now off out for the day so i will leave you with Lakey.[/quote]Right[:)]Not that you were wrong or anything lol.

[quote user="morty"]Average attendance at Carrow Road in 1992 was 13,858.[/quote]
I was born that year! [:D]
Anyway, the key point here is under Roeder and Grant it never fell to 12k-15k for league games and I don''t think anyone has suggested it did.
However, we did have attendances that low as Morty says above, 25 years ago. Not sure that''s entirely relevant to now or what the point of this thread is, in all honesty.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"]Average attendance at Carrow Road in 1992 was 13,858.[/quote]
I was born that year! [:D]
Anyway, the key point here is under Roeder and Grant it never fell to 12k-15k for league games and I don''t think anyone has suggested it did.
However, we did have attendances that low as Morty says above, 25 years ago. Not sure that''s entirely relevant to now or what the point of this thread is, in all honesty.
[/quote]Oh I agree. Its a daft thread, but Yorkshire is being a major drama queen right now.And no its not relevent at all, but like I said in my post, the figures back then were what Lakey stated.That was the year I first started going, which is why I remember it.

Didn''t we have a limited edition shirt to celebrate 3 straight years of 20,000 season ticket holders in 2007/8 time - a number which i think it has never dropped below since then.

Even in League One we had around 20,000 season ticket holders I think.

Yet apparently we had an average of 12/13k?

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Didn''t we have a limited edition shirt to celebrate 3 straight years of 20,000 season ticket holders in 2007/8 time - a number which i think it has never dropped below since then.

Even in League One we had around 20,000 season ticket holders I think.

Yet apparently we had an average of 12/13k?[/quote]Yes, we did.

I remember in the late 90s Doomcaster saying we needed an average crowd of 16,000 for the club to break-even, which we were not getting at the time he said it, I remember 14,000 being quoted as the average then.  And of course there were games such as the derby when we got a lot, so there must have been games well below that level too.

When we played the scum in the playoff semi I checked back and was surprised to see that the Wolves semi home game actually didn''t sell out.  I was there and it certainly felt like it was packed but apparently not (I still fondly remember Malky''s header...).  If we get back in the playoffs now, even if it''s not vs the scum, we will surely all be online for hours again to get a ticket again, which shows how much demand has increased.

Fact is, our attendance has improved steadily from the early 2000s onwards, there have probably been dips in the poor seasons, but basically it was on an upward curve through to the last couple of seasons when we''ve been selling out most all of the time at a bigger capacity.