Sign in to follow this  
Big Vince

Relegation League Table By Owner

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Torquay were owned by a fabulously wealthy Welsh coal magnate. I wish we had had foreign owners 😈[/quote]I thought they were taken over by a local hotel owner called Fawlty ?

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]Do a promotion one.
[/quote] Promotion League Table by Owner:

1. Robert Chase One

2. TIED Geoffrey Watling Two & Sir Arthur Two

3. Stowmarket Two Four[/quote]

This is an interesting league table because the person with the lowest number has come out on top, and the bottom place has the persons with the highest number.  Shame they didn''t use that system in the Prem last season.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Of course, the manager and players have nothing to do with it....[/quote]

At one point Geoffrey Watling was owner, manager and cut the grass...........

Could you see the Stowmarket Two getting their kits on for that?

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]Do a promotion one.[/quote] Promotion League Table by Owner:

1. Robert Chase One

2. TIED Geoffrey Watling Two & Sir Arthur Two

3. Stowmarket Two Four[/quote]

This is an interesting league table because the person with the lowest number has come out on top, and the bottom place has the persons with the highest number.  Shame they didn''t use that system in the Prem last season.

[/quote]
It''s even more interesting because the previous one''s had the lowest number at the bottom. 
But, mistakes happen.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]Of course, the manager and players have nothing to do with it....[/quote]

At one point Geoffrey Watling was owner, manager and cut the grass...........

Could you see the Stowmarket Two getting their kits on for that?[/quote]

Pointless comment-I reckon you need to go a long way down the football pyramid to find an owner who does all that now.

How about a table of owners who have left the club on the brink of financial ruin? Chase would be at the top, Smith and Jones at the bottom. Or a table of owners who have rescued the club from financial ruin? Smith and Jones at the top, Chase at the bottom.

Used to be quite comical when the attendance was given in the old days, seemed like a few thousand had gone either under or over the turnstiles.

Gate money went somewhere

PS In those days you just turned up and paid at the gate

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I used to take my own gate and get in for free.[/quote]

Katie

That''s worth an entry to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival

[quote user="STFU"]How about a table of owners who have left the club on the brink of financial ruin? Chase would be at the top, Smith and Jones at the bottom. Or a table of owners who have rescued the club from financial ruin? Smith and Jones at the top, Chase at the bottom.[/quote]

That is just factually incorrect.

Geoffrey Watling saved the club from financial ruin twice - in 1956 and 1996. That puts him at the top by some distance.

Sure, the Stowmarket Two loaned money to the club after 1996, but that came later on when the club was not on the brink.

[quote user="Big Vince"]That is just factually incorrect.

Geoffrey Watling saved the club from financial ruin twice - in 1956 and 1996. That puts him at the top by some distance.

Sure, the Stowmarket Two loaned money to the club after 1996, but that came later on when the club was not on the brink.[/quote]

He saved the club in 1996 after your hero Robert Chase left us with £7m debts, 14,000 gates and oh yeah, and a c.£115,000 payout.And D&M didn''t just loan the club money "later", they actually paid £1m for their seats on the board,So that is just factually incorrect.

[:)]

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="STFU"]How about a table of owners who have left the club on the brink of financial ruin? Chase would be at the top, Smith and Jones at the bottom. Or a table of owners who have rescued the club from financial ruin? Smith and Jones at the top, Chase at the bottom.[/quote]

That is just factually incorrect.

Sure, the Stowmarket Two loaned money to the club after 1996, but that came later on when the club was not on the brink.[/quote]Oh dear. The question was about owners saving the club. I don''t think Watling owned the club back in 1956. He certainly didn''t when Arthur South, who was the prime mover in that rescue, got it all underway. As part of that Watling became chairman, but owner? Possibly or possibly not.And I am pretty sure Watling didn''t own the club in 1996, because the shares he bought from Chase only amounted to 34 per cent (which also means that Chase was never the owner...).And Smith and Jones didn''t own the club when they put in a couple of million to help that rescue, because that came before they bought Chase''s shares from Watling to give them a 57 per cent majority holding. So the only definite owners who have saved the club are Smith and Jones, but then that was a rescue necessitated by how things had gone during their ownership.I point all this only just to show how stupid is this kind of "debate".

To be fair PC, I think everyone knows how stupid this debate is. Well, everyone except Vince 🙄

[quote user="STFU"]To be fair PC, I think everyone knows how stupid this debate is. Well, everyone except Vince 🙄[/quote]

The problem with the Delia apologists is they are deafeningly quiet when it comes to how successful Chase was on the pitch compared to their dear one.

Did they actually support Norwich City 1986 to 1994?

If so, tell us how much you hated all that success on the pitch, eg. FA Cup quarter-final vs West Ham, 1989; Bayern Munich home and away; 4-2 away to Arsenal; 5-1 away to Everton, etc, etc.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="STFU"]To be fair PC, I think everyone knows how stupid this debate is. Well, everyone except Vince 🙄[/quote]

The problem with the Delia apologists is they are deafeningly quiet when it comes to how successful Chase was on the pitch compared to their dear one.

Did they actually support Norwich City 1986 to 1994?

If so, tell us how much you hated all that success on the pitch, eg. FA Cup quarter-final vs West Ham, 1989; Bayern Munich home and away; 4-2 away to Arsenal; 5-1 away to Everton, etc, etc.[/quote]I enjoyed it.

The Chase years were great, until his luck ran out.  Then he came close to taking the club under.

football in those days was utterly different from how it is now.  There''s no sensible comparison between running a club in the different eras.

There were plenty of protests against Chase before his luck ran out.
But it should be remembered that his last season was a relegation fight to avoid slipping into what became known as Division Three old money. And that is what his legacy was. His inheritance was the team that had just won the League Cup.