Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

POLL: Our manager next season

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="93vintage"]I''d agree with all that FTW. I''d say that all things remaining equal we need to stick with the manager and try and be more canny in the transfer market (as I''ve posted elsewhere).If and when we do change manager, continuity via the football board, Colney staff, playing style and transfer strategy would be sensible. Switching manager on a whim is bad enough, but breaking continuity would be worse.[/quote]Trouble with that, is that any manager who comes in will invariably have his own ideas about backroom staff, playing style, strategy etcetera. Unless you just end up appointing a ''yes man'' who won''t challenge the status quo, and that doesn''t bode well for harmony and progress. Therefore I think it''s vitally important that we keep Neil unless our chances of going back up have evaporated completely (assuming we go down, of course, which is still far from guaranteed). Also, if we do go down, Neil will have to cut his cloth accordingly and most likely sign players with a lower reputation from lower leagues - I think he would do really well with this, in the same way that Lambert took the likes of Tierney, Crofts, Morison et al and actually made them capable of playing in the top flight. Remember last time we were in the Championship he had pretty much no transfer input at all (Dorrans on loan and Tony Andreu, was there anyone else signed last January?). Given a bit of budget from the inevitable player sales, I think he could work wonders with young, upwardly mobile players who have yet to experience the top flight. He already has one promotion to the Prem under his belt, plus a lot of charisma and self-belief. I simply cannot see him failing hard next season, whichever division we''re in.[quote user="Vanwink"]I know that AN has publicly stated that we didn''t have a proper

recruitment team in place for the summer window. A shocking admission

that confirmed what many of us judged as a shambolic and poorly

conducted window.[/quote]Can you find a link to that statement? I''m not second guessing you, just wanted to refresh my memory on what exactly he said on the subject.[/quote]I could be wrong, but I don''t think I remember it being worded quite like that.[/quote]Alex Neil''s words were, "We didn''t have a recruitment team in place in the summer". It was in a Radio Norfolk interview.

Pretty much agree with all that FTW, except we should go for managers who broadly play to our style and are willing to mostly work with our existing staff. I think post-Hughton the club is aiming at this anyway.

Didn''t the selection panel identify Neil in the first place? So maybe they might now identify someone who can keep us in the Premier League? You''re living on past achievements like every other bugger.

"Alex Neil''s words were, "We didn''t have a recruitment team in place in the summer". It was in a Radio Norfolk interview."

Yes thanks 93

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Find it surprising the club didn''t plan for both eventualities and just allowed itself to be stumped when summer came.[/quote]Ditto.I remember recruitment being mentioned, and the difficulties of starting late, due to the play offs. But I don''t remember anything as severe as "We didn''t have a recruitment team".

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Find it surprising the club didn''t plan for both eventualities and just allowed itself to be stumped when summer came.[/quote]

Ditto.

I remember recruitment being mentioned, and the difficulties of starting late, due to the play offs. But I don''t remember anything as severe as "We didn''t have a recruitment team".
[/quote]

Full quote;

Speaking to the EDP about the value of the midfield partnership of Gary O''Neil and Jonny Howson, Neil also said that the recruitment team was ''not where it should''ve been.''

''Newcastle is a different kettle of fish because they spent money in the summer as well as January. Our circumstances were different, our recruitment team was not in a place where it should have been because we had a model that wasn`t working," said Neil.

"That was done and from then onwards and due to the fact we got promoted via the play-offs we had very little time to attract the players we wanted with the quality we needed so we couldn`t get as much quality as we wanted before the summer window closed so we had to try and remedy that in January."

we have a recruitment team all in place now

but like i said AN has the final say on all transfers ( if within budget wages fees etc )

next season we have a big rebuild to the squad and thats where i worry with AN building / signing a new team

if we stay up we need at least 2x new defenders 2 x midfielders and 2 x strikers

if we go down we need to clear out deadwood so if we go up we have a fresh talented bunch

no point signing older championship players to get us up on 3 year contracts so when we get to the PL if lucky enough we have championship players eating up wages that are not good enough

very big summer coming up for the club

This is in the Goreham piece on the front page;

''Neil told me in one interview earlier this year that he felt the club’s scouting network had needed a complete overhaul last summer and that was one of the reasons they didn’t do as much business as early as they’d hoped.''

[quote user="Ron Manager"]This is in the Goreham piece on the front page;

''Neil told me in one interview earlier this year that he felt the club’s scouting network had needed a complete overhaul last summer and that was one of the reasons they didn’t do as much business as early as they’d hoped.''[/quote]Yes, it needed overhaul, but to say it didn''t even exist is inaccurate.

He said "''not where it should''ve been."

Perhaps they went to look for it and they couldn''t find it because it wasn''t where it should''ve been so they concluded that it didn''t exist. [:)]

very true morty but i do know that the club was calling scouts at other clubs asking for players they recommend ,

the team who scouts were asked in question was not after the same players as us different league but must have had a better scouting network for us to ask quite small time for a multi million pound business

My earlier quote and the one from 93 is accurate , it''s not an EDP article but an interview broadcast on Snorfolk.

Barry Symonds left the club in March 2015 and Lee Darnborough was appointed in July 2015. Both had the title of chief scout so all through the play offs and well into the summer who at Colney was actually preparing us and looking at player recruitment for a season in the Premiership or did promotion catch us with our pants down ?

also it shows the vast inexperience of the manager

what i mean by that is not know players that would fit the team

i am not saying experienced managers do not need scouts of course they do

but a more experienced manager would have knowledge of leagues and exactly what player would be needed to fill a role and would have a personal eye on that player or been impressed with him in games in the past

this is my worry about rebuilding a club like ours need to be finding the gems with the scouting but also of a manager with knowledge of players from other leagues

also i think what let AN and this is not his fault but AN is such a new manager that he has not got 10 / 15 years of contacts to fall back on

Thanks for the follow-up info. My best guess is thus: AN wasn''t happy with our scouting and recruitment systems and wanted them to be overhauled, but the board were reluctant to throw money at new solutions until they knew what division we would be in. Once we were promoted they expedited Neil''s requests, but by then we were already playing catchup. All conjecture, of course.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Thanks for the follow-up info. My best guess is thus: AN wasn''t happy with our scouting and recruitment systems and wanted them to be overhauled, but the board were reluctant to throw money at new solutions until they knew what division we would be in. Once we were promoted they expedited Neil''s requests, but by then we were already playing catchup. All conjecture, of course.[/quote]Seems one of the more reasonable scenarios I have seen bandied about.

Feedthewolf wrote the following post at 05/05/2016 4:50 PM:

Thanks for the follow-up info. My best guess is thus: AN wasn''t happy with our scouting and recruitment systems and wanted them to be overhauled, but the board were reluctant to throw money at new solutions until they knew what division we would be in. Once we were promoted they expedited Neil''s requests, but by then we were already playing catchup. All conjecture, of course.

A possible scenario, but whichever way it came about it was a hugely amateurish approach to the preparations for the next season. What on earth do we have a CEO and football board for if its not to have a strategic plan in place to deal with such fundamental issues. For a club on a small budget investment in scouting and recruitment is one of the key ingredients for success.

[quote user="morty"]I remember recruitment being mentioned, and the difficulties of starting

late, due to the play offs. But I don''t remember anything as severe as

"We didn''t have a recruitment team".[/quote][quote user="morty"][quote user="Ron Manager"]This is in the Goreham piece on the front page;

''Neil told me in one interview earlier this year that he felt the club’s scouting network had needed a complete overhaul last summer and that was one of the reasons they didn’t do as much business as early as they’d hoped.''[/quote]Yes, it needed overhaul, but to say it didn''t even exist is inaccurate.[/quote]I''m not sure that the scouting network is quite the same as the recruitment team, but it took me less than 2 minutes to google [url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3/3344956/ShowPost.aspx]the thread[/url] where I posted [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03h6cpz]a link to the interview[/url]. My Alex Neil quote a few posts ago was entirely accurate.

[quote user="93vintage"][quote user="morty"]I remember recruitment being mentioned, and the difficulties of starting

"We didn''t have a recruitment team".[/quote][quote user="morty"][quote user="Ron Manager"]This is in the Goreham piece on the front page;

''Neil told me in one interview earlier this year that he felt the club’s scouting network had needed a complete overhaul last summer and that was one of the reasons they didn’t do as much business as early as they’d hoped.''[/quote]Yes, it needed overhaul, but to say it didn''t even exist is inaccurate.[/quote]I''m not sure that the scouting network is quite the same as the recruitment team, but it took me less than 2 minutes to google [url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3/3344956/ShowPost.aspx]the thread[/url] where I posted [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03h6cpz]a link to the interview[/url]. My Alex Neil quote a few posts ago was entirely accurate.[/quote]I really wasn''t that bothered to hunt it down frankly[Y]

In response to the OP my answer is (1) for now.

He deserves the benefit of the doubt for now (he guided us to promotion - not single-handed like some may suggest) but we should be seriously re-evaluating after around 10 games next season (if in the chumps) I would hope the board wouldn''t be waiting until Christmas if things were not looking good. We can''t go on with this young manager / inexperience tag for too much longer. It''s a results business. I would stick with him if relegated but like a few on here I have my concerns about some of his decision-making. If he did get us back up, would anyone consider taking the Watford approach - change manager to one more suited to the Prem?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="93vintage"][quote user="morty"]I remember recruitment being mentioned, and the difficulties of starting

''Neil told me in one interview earlier this year that he felt the club’s scouting network had needed a complete overhaul last summer and that was one of the reasons they didn’t do as much business as early as they’d hoped.''[/quote]Yes, it needed overhaul, but to say it didn''t even exist is inaccurate.[/quote]I''m not sure that the scouting network is quite the same as the recruitment team, but it took me less than 2 minutes to google [url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3/3344956/ShowPost.aspx]the thread[/url] where I posted [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03h6cpz]a link to the interview[/url]. My Alex Neil quote a few posts ago was entirely accurate.[/quote]I really wasn''t that bothered to hunt it down frankly[Y][/quote]Because it didn''t fit your agenda, no doubt.  [;)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="93vintage"][quote user="morty"]I remember recruitment being mentioned, and the difficulties of starting

''Neil told me in one interview earlier this year that he felt the club’s scouting network had needed a complete overhaul last summer and that was one of the reasons they didn’t do as much business as early as they’d hoped.''[/quote]Yes, it needed overhaul, but to say it didn''t even exist is inaccurate.[/quote]I''m not sure that the scouting network is quite the same as the recruitment team, but it took me less than 2 minutes to google [url=http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3/3344956/ShowPost.aspx]the thread[/url] where I posted [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03h6cpz]a link to the interview[/url]. My Alex Neil quote a few posts ago was entirely accurate.[/quote]I really wasn''t that bothered to hunt it down frankly[Y][/quote]Because it didn''t fit your agenda, no doubt.  [;)][/quote]Try not to be a flaccid spam javelin in every single one of your posts, theres a good lad.