Sign in to follow this  
gitto

Corners

City have had 36 corners in the last three games and not looked like scoring from any of them. And at the other end City always look like conceding from corners. Working on set plays and making the most of them at the attacking end and working hard to defend them is incredibly vital at this level.

Not just 36 corners but 36 corners with virtually zero variation. Since we conjure up very little threat from headers direct from a corner, surely we need to be more imaginative. And since we consequently overload the penalty box in the (faint) hope of picking up second ball, we leave ourselves open to destructive counter-attack when the ball is decisively cleared to waiting opponents. We should use corners as ways of keeping possession and mounting secondary assaults.

It''s exactly the same with free kicks. Come to think of it, why is the opposition always better than us at goal kicks and throw-ins?And don''t even get me bloody started about kick-offs, we''ve been useless at them for years. [:@]

[quote user="lappinitup"]It''s exactly the same with free kicks. Come to think of it, why is the opposition always better than us at goal kicks and throw-ins?And don''t even get me bloody started about kick-offs, we''ve been useless at them for years. [:@][/quote]More to the point, why do some posters think ridicule is a constructive contribution to a football forum?

We''ve had 5 in the first 15 mins tonight. It shows we are doing something right, to get in those positions, we just need to score from one of them!

To me, we look like we have no plan from corners. You look at West Brom or even Leicester and they seemed to know what they were doing, and where the ball was travelling to. We just lump it in and hope for the best, and 9 times out of 10 plant the mother fcuking ball on the front man''s head!

It was astonishing how many corners we had against Wet Bum without really threatening, we have now had 7 (to nil) tonight - it''s difficult to pinpoint quite what it is that''s not quite working, but where some sides seem likely to score from every corner it is as though sides are happy to concede them against us.

Gone are the days of teams fearing McKay, Fleming and Doherty from corners!

I do find it puzzling we never seem to threaten much from corners

what does this change? I''m thrilled we''ve got something from a corner, is it not a legit criticism we win alot of corners from good attacking play but do very little with them?

Andy Linighan once scored from a corner for us with his...erm... ''little Andy''. Got his ''head'' on it.

Right I am going to chip in on this one as this is one of my biggest gripes with city, but it it isnt a recent phenomenon. We have been awful for years at corners. Watching Snodgrass hit the first man every time was the traditional par for the course. We just don''t seem to attack a corner with venom...oh for a Bruce , Watson or dare I even say Turner..but at least a centre back who can attack a corner and score. Please dont say ...but Bassong scored today..he is about as imposing from a corner as my long departed granny.

We paid some good money for Brady because of his ability to make accurate crosses and to place good corners. Have they not learned how to use him, and practiced in training?

It''s very disappointing, because with Olsson and Redmond in particular also very good crossers of the ball we really should do better.

SwindonCanary wrote the following post at 08/11/2015 2:08 PM:

Well, they''ve been practicing ! Got it spot on yesterday :-)

There is one reason why the corners and all free kicks were of a much higher standard than normal

They were all taken by O''Neil or Brady

Why we allow Hooly & Redmond to take them amazes me - there delivery is usually appalling