Sign in to follow this  
OldRobert

More Binner Delusion Bordering on Desperation

Posted on TWTD:Ipswich Town has a wonderful heritage 16:41 - Oct 8and we are proud of that heritage and we have 2 superb statues outside our ground to mark that.

The achievements of Sir Alf and Sir Bob rank up there with the greatest

achievements in football. Football has moved on though from those days

and now those wonderful achievements are pretty much impossible to ever

replicate. Money has taken over the game and competing at the top is

virtually a closed shop, let alone winning at the top.

With this in mind I think it is time to mark the achievements of the man

that brought similar success in my lifetime, 5th in the premier league

and a european run is unheard of now but George Burley gave me that

experience. My son visited Old Trafford the other week because that is

probably the best stadium he will ever see Ipswich at, and it was just a

league cup game. I went to the San Siro and saw Ronaldo, Zanetti, Vieri

etc. Burley is a hero, yes he did reach the level of Sir

Bob and Sir Alf but it is a different era. It is time we gave him the

same honour.

[quote user="lappinitup"]They''re not a happy bunch at the moment, they''ve just had another televised game announced. Just as well they''ll never again have to suffer the Premier League. [:)]http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/28244/[/quote]He He, just looked at that.  Poor little mites, one reminiscing about losing to some team 1-5 at home on a Thursday night......................can''t think who they might have been[;)]

''great.... another half empty stadium and terrible atmosphere like the Brum game..'' Pretty much like all the games I would say. Maybe we will get them in the FA Cup at their ground and they will have another full house. Something that only seems to occur when we turn up.

I personally quite like the idea the poster has put forward, but I''d just have one slight tweak . Raise the money for the statue, then use the proceeds to finally pay the local businesses and charities that Ipswich mugged off on Burley''s watch. It would be a fitting tribute to his reign.

"The achievements of Sir Alf and Sir Bob rank up there with the greatest achievements in football."

Eh? I ask you, how embarrassing, how insular.

OR will know that hardly a day passes on that platform without some historical reminiscence about that great past of theirs ..... such as it was.

They talk a good history.

Small town, small club mentality.

The sheer euphoria they felt when Paul Anderson scored the equaliser against us and the huge celebratory reaction to drawing with us (in a game they basically had to win) just tells you how desperately starved of anything decent they''ve been in the last 15 years or so.

Norwich has been a club growing on an upward trajectory since Cardiff in 2002 in terms of attendances and overall growth of the club. Ipswich has been a tale of diminishing returns since then. When you strip back the nostalgia of things that happened 50 years ago that''s the brutal reality.

As the saying goes - ''Don''t look backwards, you aren''t going that way. ''

There''s currently a thread running on TWTD extolling the virtues of the "Fine City."

The usual suspects are contributing, including a character who calls himself Arnie M. The mere mention of Norwich is like a red rag to a bull for our Arnie, and he''s usually prone to making things up as well, such is the depth of his jealousy.

His response to the praise:-

"City centre maybe, but the rest of scumville is the County''s largest council estate. Have you see suburbua scum? Its an utter shyteole."

Well! I was brought up in Hellesdon and now I find out that it''s an utter "shyteole."

(To say nothing of Catton, Costessy, Sprowston, Thorpe Hamlet, Eaton and so on and so on.)

What piffle!

Well suppose it means that some of them have given up on the football so now need to attack the City instead.

They are surely onto an even bigger loser there.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]There''s currently a thread running on TWTD extolling the virtues of the "Fine City."

The usual suspects are contributing, including a character who calls himself Arnie M. The mere mention of Norwich is like a red rag to a bull for our Arnie, and he''s usually prone to making things up as well, such is the depth of his jealousy.

"City centre maybe, but the rest of scumville is the County''s largest council estate. Have you see suburbua scum? Its an utter shyteole."

Well! I was brought up in Hellesdon and now I find out that it''s an utter "shyteole."

(To say nothing of Catton, Costessy, Sprowston, Thorpe Hamlet, Eaton and so on and so on.)

What piffle!

Well suppose it means that some of them have given up on the football so now need to attack the City instead.

They are surely onto an even bigger loser there.[/quote]That man has never been via whitton, I swear the truth there is a house opposite a petrol station...looks like a crack house and yet has a jag in the drive and cctv cameras...Clearly a safe and affluent area.... :/

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]....just tells you how desperately starved of anything decent they''ve been in the last 15 years or so.

Norwich has been a club growing on an upward trajectory since Cardiff in 2002 in terms of attendances and overall growth of the club. Ipswich has been a tale of diminishing returns since then. ..[/quote]Since being relegated from the PL in 1995 they have only been back for 2 seasons. It is highly unlikely they will return soon either. It cannot be much fun to have that constant failure set against their rivals (now) constant success. In every area City are better, and will continue as such. Is it any wonder they are so bitter, and cling on to the past (even if those events happened long before most were even born). They had their chance to get back into the PL, and at us, in May and in true binner fashion they blew it. Just as they did in numerous play offs, a League Cup semi final and 2nd place in the league (10 points ahead of us). A failing club in every sense.

[quote user="AllenWickerbasket"][quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]....just tells you how desperately starved of anything decent they''ve been in the last 15 years or so.

Norwich has been a club growing on an upward trajectory since Cardiff in 2002 in terms of attendances and overall growth of the club. Ipswich has been a tale of diminishing returns since then. ..[/quote]Since being relegated from the PL in 1995 they have only been back for 2 seasons. It is highly unlikely they will return soon either. It cannot be much fun to have that constant failure set against their rivals (now) constant success. In every area City are better, and will continue as such. Is it any wonder they are so bitter, and cling on to the past (even if those events happened long before most were even born). They had their chance to get back into the PL, and at us, in May and in true binner fashion they blew it. Just as they did in numerous play offs, a League Cup semi final and 2nd place in the league (10 points ahead of us). A failing club in every sense.[/quote]Mind the gap..........................[:D]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]The usual suspects are contributing, including a character who calls himself Arnie M. The mere mention of Norwich is like a red rag to a bull for our Arnie, and he''s usually prone to making things up as well, such is the depth of his jealousy.

"City centre maybe, but the rest of scumville is the County''s largest council estate. Have you see suburbua scum? Its an utter shyteole."[/quote]She''s since added........"I spent 3 yrs up there studying and couldn''t believe how run down

their "fine city" actually was. As for the city centre compared to

Ipswich, they have the rich Dutch wool traders in days gone by to thank

for that. By comparison Ipswich is much older and built around the

mediaeval port and then heavy industry. Much "harder" origins than the

"softer" wool traders and then financial industry they have today.

Essentially there is more money in the city of Norwich compared to

Ipswich. Which beggars the question why is their housing stock and

sprawling estates so bloody poor and rough?"
Like all binners, history is her favourite subject. The poor old dear is one of the few who were around when they were actually making their little bit of history. The pleasing thing for me is that Arnie has proved just how much our education system has improved since her time here. It clearly failed her. [:''(]

I assumed it was a man Lappin.

Irrespective of that, he/she is always up there posting at the mere mention of Norwich, either the Canaries or the City. This despite the fact that, I notice, he was lucky enough to have spent those three years in the Fine City.

[quote user="OldRobert"] saw Ronaldo, Zanetti, Vieri

etc. [/quote]I saw them in a friendly at Carrow Road too... some bloke named Cesar was in goal for Inter that day....perhaps we should build a statue of Doomcaster for arranging the game....

I would suggest that the scum indeed have a new statue outside their slum. It should be a goal containing 9 footballs to commemorate both their historic record of most premier league goals conceded in a single game and the record number of goals conceded by them in Derby games in a single season.

I remember vividly driving to 1p5wich for the playoff 1st leg and listening to Darren Eadie on Radio 5. He was pointing out that for the two clubs to be playing each other in the playoff semi-final made it a tie which will still be talked about in 20 or 30 years time and which would give the winner bragging rights for many years to come. And we comfortably beat them over the 2 legs.

I agree it''s pitiful that they are left to take a crumb of comfort from the fact that the drew the home tie - how desperate is that ? It was amusing to hear MM after the first leg trying to argue that it was actually a better result for them than winning it - yeah, right. Equally desperate were the comments about only losing the tie after going down to 10 men, conveniently ignoring the fact that the man was sent off for saving a certain goal using his hand.

Yesterday being National Poetry Day, ''Warkystache'' offers this little ''gem'' (after somebody points out that half and half scarves were available at the Leicester game):Go Norfolk, get a scarf half blue Go Norfolk, give your mum one too Go Norfolk, get a sh*t tattoo Go Norfolk, keep stuff from a skip outside your bungalooHmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........................[:''(]

As difficult as it is I try and look at things involving Norwich and Ipswich are fairly as I can because I really hate delusional and totally one sided arguments.

But I still can''t get my head around the argument that I''ve heard a lot of Ipswich fans make, namely the, ''but for the sending off'' we''d have probably won that game.

Ultimately, if Berra isn''t sent off and stays on the pitch we are 1-0 up in that game at home. You can''t have it both ways. They lost to Norwich 3 times that season and drew on the other occasion (having trailed in that game as well). They also finished 8 points behind Norwich in the league. No one can argue there anything fortune about it at all.

The other thing I find ridiculous is the way some of their supporters on that ''TWTD'' website (it was truly dreadful piece written by 2 contributors called Mullett and HarryfromBath) were attempting to take some kind of moral high ground from the fact it was ''megabucks'' Norwich with their Premiership parachute payments against the plucky paupers of Ipswich and their team of free transfers.

This is from the same set of supporters who I remember waving fake money around at the time Marcus Evans bought them and would regular chant: ''we''re ******* loaded'' at games when Evans was splashing the cash initially.

Being objective the one thing I will give credit to Ipswich for is that I did think the atmosphere at Portman Road in the first leg was better than the atmosphere at Carrow Road in the second leg. The noise when Anderson scored was superb, but then again it was the biggest thing that had happened on that ground for about 15 years, so it jolly well should have been.

We have brilliant supporters, who back the team in great numbers home and away (far greater numbers than Ipswich) but sadly being vocal backing is not a massive strongpoint in that regard, certainly at home anyway.