Sign in to follow this  
STAN

Bayern fans at Arsenal...

Massive banner on display ''£64 A TICKET BUT WITHOUT FANS FOOTBALL IS NOT WORTH A PENNY''

Class from them, shame the resident Pinkun millionaires don''t share their views..

Football is not a charity blah blah blah..

That''s terrific. We''d all like cheaper tickets, actually hell, if I can get everything for free in life then that would be great. But how do you (people that are complaining) propose to get cheaper tickets?

It is very easy to say what you want, but the reality is you have to say how you intend to get what you want. It is all well and good having the 20''s plenty protest etc but in isolation that will do sod all.

The fact of the matter is now football in this country is culturally a business. PL clubs run at 96% occupancy. So why would any PL club charge cheaper ticket prices when they can charge what they currently charge?

[quote user="The Walking Man "]

The fact of the matter is now football in this country is culturally a business. PL clubs run at 96% occupancy. So why would any PL club charge cheaper ticket prices when they can charge what they currently charge?[/quote]

So how do German Clubs manage?  Their prices are very low compared to here. Do they not run as businesses too? 

I''ve answered my own question - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22625160 An interesting article, which includes -  "When Uli Hoeness, the president of Bayern Munich, was asked why the club didn''t have higher ticket prices, like they do in England, he said: "We do not think the fans are like cows to be milked. Football has got to be for everybody. That''s the biggest difference between us and England."

Good read LDC, I think the comment from Uli Hoeness sums it up perfectly. This is an age old problem, many moons ago (1997 ish) a delegation from a Borussia Dortmund fans group met with their Newcastle Utd counterparts, as part of that meeting the Dortmund fans had a discussion with the then Newcastle Utd chairman (Freddie Shepherd?) who could not believe how cheap season tickets were to watch Dortmund and stated Newcastle could not possibly offer such low prices as they need the income to pay players of a quality to enable them to compete in Europe only to be shot down by the Dortmund fans who said "we have just won the European Cup!!".

I suppose the "96% occupancy" thing does have a lot to do with it, as a few years ago I was able to buy six tickets together for a game between SV Hamburg v Werder Bremen in the Bundesliga (a local derby), I doubt there are many Premiership games where I would be able to do that. Things may have changed since then but I was impressed at how easy it was to buy tickets and the fact the price of the ticket included travel to the game on the Hamburg public transport network.

As an aside we were in Hamburg to take part in a footy tournament...... 

lake district canary wrote the following post at 21/10/2015 12:16 PM:

I''ve answered my own question -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22625160

An interesting article, which includes - "When Uli Hoeness, the president of Bayern Munich, was asked why the club didn''t have higher ticket prices, like they do in England, he said: "We do not think the fans are like cows to be milked. Football has got to be for everybody. That''s the biggest difference between us and England."

Says it all really, too many of us just excuse being ripped off as if it''s an inevitable consequence of professional sport, which of course it isn''t!

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]lake district canary wrote the following post at 21/10/2015 12:16 PM: I''ve answered my own question - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22625160 An interesting article, which includes - "When Uli Hoeness, the president of Bayern Munich, was asked why the club didn''t have higher ticket prices, like they do in England, he said: "We do not think the fans are like cows to be milked. Football has got to be for everybody. That''s the biggest difference between us and England." Says it all really, too many of us just excuse being ripped off as if it''s an inevitable consequence of professional sport, which of course it isn''t![/quote]

There are other examples of where goods and services are priced differently in different countries, e.g. alcohol is very expensive in Scandinavian countries but considered cheap in southern Europe, what do people want to do about these differences, have a global price?

Well without the TV money just think how much your ticket will cost. It''s ok because these poor football players only have a short career and need to be paid 25k to 300k a week! What would they do otherwise once football finished? Bless them!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/13/uli-hoeness-sentenced-three-and-a-half-years-prison-tax-evasion-germany

Doesn''t like to milk football supporters like cows but is happy to squirrel away "large profits made on the stock market into a Swiss bank account".

Sorry - this doesn''t add anything to the debate, just thought I''d highlight it.

It was a good protest. Got plenty of coverage. Well done. But at the end of the day, they all still paid their £64, and eventually turned up and watched the game.Therefore, there is no motivation for the club to change. The only action that will have any traction in this area will be one where large groups choose not to buy tickets. A half-empty stadium with loads of missing revenue? That is the only thing clubs will notice. Unless masses of people are prepared for such action, everything else is just hot air.

LDC, I made no mention of how German clubs don''t manage, read my last paragraph. Culturally we''re at different places. Football in this country is now a business enterprise, whereas in Germany it is run with the fan in mind first.

Now I would like football to be run with the fan in mind first and foremost but I don''t know how to change the culture of football in this country now. And neither does anybody else apparently, everyone is content to complain but offers no solutions.

As someone else pointed out, all well and good Bayern fans protesting but they still paid there £64...

[quote user="The Walking Man "]LDC, I made no mention of how German clubs don''t manage, read my last paragraph. Culturally we''re at different places. Football in this country is now a business enterprise, whereas in Germany it is run with the fan in mind first.

Now I would like football to be run with the fan in mind first and foremost but I don''t know how to change the culture of football in this country now. And neither does anybody else apparently, everyone is content to complain but offers no solutions.

As someone else pointed out, all well and good Bayern fans protesting but they still paid there £64...[/quote]

All I was doing was asking the question "how do they manage",  out of interest, so no need to get defensive. But you are right, of course. We are miles apart culturally in terms of football. Germany is successful, both in clubs and internationally, with a work ethic that can only be admired - and has cheap ticket prices.   England has greed and overpaid players, subsidised by TV money and rich playboys - and expensive ticket prices.  I know which culture I would prefer our football to be like.