Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Great News For PUPs! And Kathy says BOGOF again...

Time for a quick update. I''ve been

sitting on this news to give you guys a break but I can''t keep it secret any

longer. Our anonymous benefactor has upped the £6 match bet to a tenner! So

although it will be psychologically harder now we are Premier League,

hopefully the increase in stake will counteract that and give us every chance of

another successful season. Thank you PUPanon.

Kathy''s been in touch and has

offered us PUPs a BOGOF entry once again in the Trust''s Canary Challenge. So if

you put in an entry you are allowed a free entry under your PUP name where

anything you win goes to the CSF. Kathy tells me it''s possible to enter and pay

online this season at www.canariestrust.org  –  but that

won''t work for our free entry. So PUPs who

want to take advantage can print off a form from the web site, scan and email it

to
kblake@crowshall.co.uk , or simply facebook or tweet the free entry to her. If

that''s not clear then ask on this thread and I''m sure Kathy will step in with a

better expaination than mine! Thank you Kathy and the Trust for allowing us a

free entry for the CSF again this year.

We just have three more Rays Funds free weekends before the new season starts. So this is the point where I ask for your tenners to fund the new season. We have a carry over from last season to give us a start. And of course the match bet is already covered so we need just tenners to fund the main bet. There''s 41 weeks this season! My paypal is canaryeddie@aol.com .

At the end of last season we were discussing how our league table is calculated. My suggestion is that we carry on as we were but that I publish the profitability table every week too. My feeling is that our stats really are a useful tool for our PUPs making the final selections and in that respect work well in keeping minds focussed. But that''s just a suggestion and I only administrate this on your behalf. In the end the decision is yours and I welcome your thoughts and suggestions too.

As it will soon be upon us I have sorted the rota for August. Remember the main bet rota is made up of last seasons top 40 PUPs. But PUPanon sponsors the match bet to give the rest of us a chance of taking a more active role. This also includes  any PUPs who join in for the first time this season. Hopefull Tilly can make the final six selections the first week as is customery for the PUPs league winners. Please all let me know if the dates are ok : -

Final Six Selections : -

Aug  8th - Til1010

Aug 15th - LDC

Aug 22nd - Mr Apples

Aug 29th - Cityangel

Norwich match bet : -

Aug  8th - Crabbycanary

Aug 15th - Wes Hooly Fan

Aug 22nd - Lessingham Canary

Aug 29th - Woostercanary

Would be great to have some more of this message boards fantastic regular posters on board this season.  

Fantastic news Nutty. I''ll try my best to keep up with it all season this time. I took a little break from the pink''un at the end of last season and unfortunately missed some predictions because of it. Consider me available to do selections if you''ll have me (don''t recall if I made the top 40).

Nutty, I''m sure the "profitability factor " has been explained before, although I must have missed it. Could you please post a simple example showing how it works. Sorry if I''m being a little thick. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Nutty, I''m sure the "profitability factor " has been explained before, although I must have missed it. Could you please post a simple example showing how it works. Sorry if I''m being a little thick. 

[/quote]

No big thing Yankee as a win is a win. [:P]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

No big thing Yankee as a win is a win. [:P]

[/quote]

Forgive me if I choose not to accept comments from "short odds" posters. [:P]

Thanks for the great intro Nutty. Just to reiterate, if you enter this season''s Canary Challenge then you can get a free go under your PUPs name. This season you can enter on line so you don''t even need to buy a stamp. Simply go to www.canariestrust.org and click on the Canary Challenge tab.If you win then the money will go to the PUPS and ultimately to the CSF. Two years ago Til1010 won £200 for the PUPS with his free entry so it can be done. Happy to answer any queries anyone has.

Oh and don''t forget, get your tenners to Eddie for this great cause.

OTBC

You had a great season Splutcho. You''re definitely in the 40 :)

Yankee, I''ll try but am not known for my simple explanations....

We start off with £1. This is adjusted every week. A losing week is -1 and a winning week is calculated to odds. Evs would be +1. 1/2 would be +.5. 1/10 would be +.1. I keep a running total each week.

It would take 10 winning weeks at 1/10 to get back 1 losing week.

That''s great news Nutty and a great refresh for the Pups to face the new season with much optomism. As always thanks for carrying the Pups, one of the few reasons I still visit these message boards these days!

Hi Nutty I''m fine for that date! [:D]

If you PM me your address (my paypal account is gubbed) I''ll get my cash along asap.

Apples

I''m fine for my week too Nutty, thanks for asking me.

Nutty you are an absolute legend for all the work you put into this. Ray would and I''m sure IS so proud of his buddy for all the time and dedication you show in his name and not your own on this thread and I hope I speak for all the pup''s when I say "thank you Eddie, we really appreciate everything you do". Seriously buddy you deserve a medal.

I do it because I enjoy it Inchy. It keeps my memories of Ray in the front of my mind - we had so much fun doing this together. We met many great people during that time and I''ve met many more since. And as well as that what else would I do??[;)] 

Since I last published the totals more donations have come on top of the tenners that have also started to appear. Since the last presentation in March we already have £389  towards the next one.

Bump! Thanks to you who have joined in so far and hoping to hear from more PUPs. Remember - every little helps this great institution Nutty organises to keep going OTBC

Eddie - Will give you some cash when I see you very soon.

Can only repeat what everyone else has said or is thinking, Ray would be so proud of you for keeping his idea going, thanks for your hard work. Glad we''ve got you on our social club team, your enthusiasm for everything is infectious

I''m looking forward to the PUPs league almost as much as the Premier League! [:)]I had a bit of a ''Norwich 92/93'' season, as a newbie underdog, pushing the big guns all the way before falling away at the end.Can''t wait to have my first crack at the ''super six'', presumably some time in September if it''s done by league position from last year.Another thing I wanted to broach was the possibility of a combined win percentage/profitability table, to find the true ''MVP''. I believe someone may have suggested an equation for this, but I can''t remember who or what it was (maths isn''t my strong suit). It''d be good to have a separate table that offers something for those who wish to push the risk/reward envelope a little further, and gives a chance of success to those brave souls who pick odds-against winners, or even draws!

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]Another thing I wanted to broach was the possibility of a combined win percentage/profitability table, to find the true ''MVP''. I believe someone may have suggested an equation for this, but I can''t remember who or what it was (maths isn''t my strong suit). It''d be good to have a separate table that offers something for those who wish to push the risk/reward envelope a little further, and gives a chance of success to those brave souls who pick odds-against winners, or even draws![/quote]Any thoughts on this? Bump! [:)]

I think the 2 tables would do that buddy. Ultimately the point of all our stats is to help the PUP selecting the final 6. It''s no hardship for me to publishboth tables every week. (As long as my spreadsheet skills arent still on the beach!). That way we get the best of both worlds.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I think the 2 tables would do that buddy. Ultimately the point of all our stats is to help the PUP selecting the final 6. It''s no hardship for me to publishboth tables every week. (As long as my spreadsheet skills arent still on the beach!). That way we get the best of both worlds.[/quote]I''m happy with whatever is decided, Eddie – after all, the only figures that truly matter are those on the cheques we hand over to the FDC. I just seem to recall someone proposing an equation that took both values into account, which seemed like a good idea. Whatever happens, we''ve got our work cut out to top last season – I think we can do it, though!

If anyone has a formula that takes value into account I''d be happy to use it if I''m capable. Or the two tables. It''s true that the figures that rreally matter are the money raised. But our stats are important too because they serve two purposes and in that they keep us focussed and are a good tool to help pick the final six.

The thing to remember though is that we do need all six to win.I know that sounds obvious but the individual stats reflect single games.

It''s a good discussion to have. Thanks for bumping it Wolfie.

Crabby and Wes Hooly... Are you OK for your weeks? It''s not long now.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]As I said earlier a win is a win and a win means profit. Simples. [;)][/quote]Yeah, but if we win using your picks Tilly, we''ll only make a profit of about 25p a week... [:P]

Thanks Wes Hooly and Crabby for accepting the challenge of early weeks for the match bet. And Thanks to CarrowCanary for joining us this season.

The tenners are still coming in along with some more donations. I can''t believe that before a ball is kicked we have £409 banked ready for the next presentation. Emma at the CSF is well pleased about that and looking forward to seeing how we do this season.

Am I right in thinking we''ll get our first PUPs thread of the new season tomorrow? I, for one, am tremendously excited about this [:)]

I''m just catching up with everything right now Wolfie. I''m excited too. Ninth season for me!!  Yes we start tomorrow and Tilly''s doing the final selections for the accumulator with Crabby doing the final selections for the match bet against Palace.

I suppose I''ll have to put together a suitable introduction for Tilly. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''m just catching up with everything right now Wolfie. I''m excited too. Ninth season for me!!  Yes we start tomorrow and Tilly''s doing the final selections for the accumulator with Crabby doing the final selections for the match bet against Palace.

I suppose I''ll have to put together a suitable introduction for Tilly. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.....

[/quote]How''s about ''our cheapskate champion – backing bankers of 1/5 or shorter…'' [:D]