Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

Could be Ross McCormack ?

We are still after him then.
Middlesbrough and Norwich keeping tabs on Fulham forward

11th August 2015http://www.shoot.co.uk/middlesbrough-and-norwich-keeping-tabs-on-fulham-forward/

This is now likely to appear on edp "rumour mill" pqge tomorrow.....

Please GOD noooooooo!!! He''s no better than the players we have currently. Its laughable if we sign him. WE NEED TO SIGN OUTSTANDING PLAYERS OR NONE

Hooper, RVS, Lafferty, Grabban - All not top top class.

I would however like to see Lafferty playing on the last defender off the bench this season. He''s shown he''s dangerous in Euro qualifiers in that role.

Jerome might surprise a few and score 10+ this season.

[quote user="Mooney"]Please GOD noooooooo!!! He''s no better than the players we have currently. Its laughable if we sign him. WE NEED TO SIGN OUTSTANDING PLAYERS OR NONE

Hooper, RVS, Lafferty, Grabban - All not top top class.

I would however like to see Lafferty playing on the last defender off the bench this season. He''s shown he''s dangerous in Euro qualifiers in that role.

Jerome might surprise a few and score 10+ this season.[/quote]

He''s WORLDS better than Hooper and Grabban.

....yet you want Michu, an injury waiting to happen? I have to say your comments seem laughable -Lafferty is more likely to leave the club than ever start a PL game, IMO.

McCormack is NOT better than what we have. He may offer something a little different but he is a winger come striker - much like Grabban.

He has never played in a top European league unless you count Motherwell. In many ways he is just another Grabban. His strike rate is ok, about a 1 in 3 in his career wherever he has been.

Most importantly he cost Fulham £10million+ (I believe closer to £11million) and he turns 29 next week. I can''t see them wanting to get rid of him unless they are recouping a large chunk of that fee. Ofcourse I could be wrong but IMHO - he''s not worth more than £4-5million tops.

I''d rather keep Hooper who at least has a record at this level.

chicken wrote the following post at 11/08/2015 11:01 PM:

McCormack is NOT better than what we have. He may offer something a little different but he is a winger come striker - much like Grabban.

He has never played in a top European league unless you count Motherwell. In many ways he is just another Grabban. His strike rate is ok, about a 1 in 3 in his career wherever he has been.

Most importantly he cost Fulham £10million+ (I believe closer to £11million) and he turns 29 next week. I can''t see them wanting to get rid of him unless they are recouping a large chunk of that fee. Ofcourse I could be wrong but IMHO - he''s not worth more than £4-5million tops.

--------------

2 things. Firstly you say you''d rather have Hooper, as if they''re the same type of player, ridiculous.

Second, the last time he played upfront he scored (according to wiki) 28 goals in the championship. Gestede scored 20, Jerome scored 18, Wilson scored 20, Rhodes scored 21, Deeney scored 21, Bamford scored 17 (-the same amount of goals McCormack scored by just being used on the left in a $hit team). He''s worth more than £4m and if people think otherwise they''ve got their head in the clouds, wishful thinking I''m afraid.

Shed three quarters of a stone off both McCormack and Hooper and put it on Van Winkle and we may have a striker worth at least 7 million.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]chicken wrote the following post at 11/08/2015 11:01 PM:

--------------

2 things. Firstly you say you''d rather have Hooper, as if they''re the same type of player, ridiculous.

Second, the last time he played upfront he scored (according to wiki) 28 goals in the championship. Gestede scored 20, Jerome scored 18, Wilson scored 20, Rhodes scored 21, Deeney scored 21, Bamford scored 17 (-the same amount of goals McCormack scored by just being used on the left in a $hit team). He''s worth more than £4m and if people think otherwise they''ve got their head in the clouds, wishful thinking I''m afraid.[/quote]

Gestede is 26 - and represents a better gamble, if it pays off you either make money on him or you have him for at least 5-6 years if you can keep him. That helps bump his value.

You are also comparing the championship two seasons ago to what strikers managed to achieve last season. The league is a much tougher place. You only need to look at how well the teams promoted from League 1 did comparatively. For example - the season that he scored 28 goals in the league - Grabban scored 22, and he is 18months younger.

Also to say that he only played left midfield last season - or even played mostly at left midfield last season is also a bit of a fib.

And I think Jerome is a different - but more proven bet. He''s also an out and out striker. In that he isn''t a striker/winger as McCormack and Grabban are - and by the way, that doesn''t make them similar players, it makes them players that play / have played similar roles.

If McCormack is coming in for £8million then it is over the odds IMHO. It''s a massive gamble on a soon to be 29 year old. He''s nothing particularly special, he did naff all against us last season - despite many people thinking we were all over the place defensively when Fulham first played us.

I hope that any player we sign does well, but it would not be a signing that makes me sit up in surprise and excitement. I won''t not back him, but he''s hardly ''buzzing''.

If he was that great, why hasn''t any other premier league team taken a punt on him yet?

Sorry, got carried away with my response.

Your issue was me likening Hooper to McCormack - that''s not the case. I compared their experience in the premier league and the fact that Hooper is being linked with a move away. I simply said given the choice of the two I would rather keep Hooper. But if he wants out then I can see that McCormack would make a decent replacement because he offers something different to Hooper and to Jerome and Grabban.

I''m just not convinced he is the goal-getter we need at this level.

I also wonder if we''d see him out left before we see him up front? With Olsson out at the moment, Brady playing at LB he could be seen as competition for LM as well as striker.

Chicken? If Neil sees Brady as some sort of Ashley Cole or Evra figure we''re f*cked.Fingers & toes and even testicles are crossed he doesn''t.

I do love some of the jostling for position - it''s as though people want to get in an early marker against any prospective signing so that they can tell us all what a disaster it''ll be when it happens and crow about it whenever they miss a chance - which is, let''s face it, a bit sad..

The fact is, none of us can tell whether any signing will come off - we will only find out if we sign them and they play. I recall when we signed Holt, plenty decried the signing that he was a journeyman who would not amount to much - Brighton signed a guy the same day and we supposedly ''missed out'', but history now tells us otherwise. The point is, there''s a fair degree of luck involved in most signings - the player could be the world''s best ever, but if he gets injured he''s absolutely no use at all. The fact is, McCormack is a good player and a decent shout, knows where the goal is and we could do a lot worse.

But just because Hooper''s been linked with a move away doesn''t mean he will go so the choice isn''t between Hooper or McCormack, the choice is between McCormack and numerous other strikers available. Mcnally has said the people who are linking Hooper with moves away are lying.

"You are also comparing the championship two seasons ago to what strikers managed to achieve last season. The league is a much tougher place. You only need to look at how well the teams promoted from League 1 did comparatively. For example - the season that he scored 28 goals in the league - Grabban scored 22, and he is 18months younger."

Not sure what this is about (might just me being thick, highly likely) You''re saying that the championship is harder than a few years ago, but then state that the championship newcomers have done well (e.g. wolves)? and also you''ve pointed out that the players would''ve been a year and a bit younger. So Grabban instead of being 27, he''d be 26 and McCormack would be 27 instead of 28. Last season Grabban scored 12 goals playing 95% of the games that he played in upfront, I think he was used on the left about twice. On the other hand McCormack played on the left last season and scored 17 goals. This suggests it hasn''t been harder for McCormack (but has for Grabban) because he''s still managed to score $hitloads of goals despite playing as an attacking wide player (if that sounds better to you instead of winger?) for the majority of the season. I can understand that you''re not excited by him, though I''m sure you''re not, I wouldn''t judge him on the performance he gave when he came to CR, it''s perhaps a bit unfair. You can''t deny his goalscoring record over the last few years has been exceptional in the championship. Whether we should spend £7-8m on a 28 (soon to be 29) year old is debatable. Personally I think he could make a good contribution that could be the difference in keeping us up. That alone is worth the money. If it''s between Mbokani (29) £6m and McCormack (28) £7-8m? I''m not sure.

That''s all we need another Championship player to add to our Championship squad . Lets hope this is nothing but a rumor but you sense we are getting to the desperation stage when it comes to signings now . I''m another who would much prefer Hooper to McCormack .

So I''m thick.

I love the fact that when someone holds a different opinion there are some on here who resort to really quite juvenile responses! Thick?! Seriously?

I have simply stated my view that I don''t see him as being that great an option - he''s not the streaks ahead, that some people are claiming him to be. He may offer something different but better?

I shall try and explain the point I made re you comparing stats as frankly, by your response you seem to have muddled it. You were comparing McCormack in 2013-14 with 28 goals to Grabban''s and Jerome''s 2014-15 tallies. Not only that bug you also brought in prices of players such as Gestede.

I simply questioned why when you can compare like for like - Grabban having scored 22 in the league that very same season.

As for the promoted teams - I suppose you can argue that them doing well would prove that the league was weak. But I think that there is more evidence to suggest it is tougher than ever.

As I said before, if we sign him I will back him as I do all of the team, and as such if he is signed I hope that he utterly proves me wrong and scores 15+ goals to propell us into a 10-14th placed finish.

I suppose I was hoping for a little better.

The majority of you are mad. I really hope Alex Neil isnt.

Michu, Destro, Kevin Augustin would be quality signings whether on loan or permanent. They are worth significant enough goals in the prem.

Danny Graham, Stephen Fletcher, Ross McCormack, Mbokani can all bore off. They wont hit more than 7 goals each.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Why are you comparing Hooper to McCormack? Makes no sense[/quote]

It''s not a comparison. People are saying if they had to choose!

It''s like saying if you had to choose would you pick Jerome or Grabban? They''re not the same either but you''d pick the one you have a preference for. I don''t believe anyone has said they are like for like.

Chicken, if you''re replying to me, I didn''t call you thick (go read again). It''s not meant to be read in an aggressive tone and the comment I made wasn''t replying to you, it was replying the post that was before my post.

If there was any confusion btw on the last bit of my last post:

"and the comment I made wasn''t replying to you, it was replying the post that was before my post."

is talking about Canary One''s post saying he''d prefer Hooper to McCormack. I realise that they are not the same people but the choice isn''t between Hooper and McCormack. The choice is between Jerome, Grabban, Hooper and whoever else.

I think there''s very little to choose between Hooper, McCormack & Charlie Austin for that matter. Might as well stick with what we already have. I figure we need a Papiss Cissé or Loic Remy type of signing - failing that, a £10-£12m striker from overseas. Anything less would be a half-hearted effort to improve the squad.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]If there was any confusion btw on the last bit of my last post:

"and the comment I made wasn''t replying to you, it was replying the post that was before my post."

is talking about Canary One''s post saying he''d prefer Hooper to McCormack. I realise that they are not the same people but the choice isn''t between Hooper and McCormack. The choice is between Jerome, Grabban, Hooper and whoever else.[/quote]If we sign a striker one will be leaving , the only one we have that would fetch a decent fee is Hooper (linked with Boro all week) so i still say i would rather keep Hooper than sign McCormack who is not as good.

We have money though, we don''t need to sell in order to buy. We do however need to sell because we have too many players, striker in particular. I very much doubt Hooper will be going due to Mcnally''s comments on him (saying that people linking him to championship clubs is a load of bull). The players I expect to be going are Lafferty and RVW (this is only my opinion of course). I respect that you think McCormack is not as good as Hooper, but surely both of them could have a place in the squad? It''s not one or the other. We all know Hooper can''t play as the lone striker, but McCormack can to a much larger extent (28 goals when played upfront for the season - not all as a lone striker though tbf), as well as the fact that he''s scored loads as an attacking left winger. Perhaps this irrelevant though, perhaps the question is not who will be coming in, but instead who will be coming out. As I say, I don''t think its about money, we must be desperate to get rid of RVW who''s (reportedly) on £40k a week and Lafferty who could only be a good enough striker for Northern Ireland.