Sign in to follow this  
Shyster

Under Adams and Phelan...

Just outside the Play-off places with half a season left:

Beat Huddersfield by five goals to nil.

Then a draw with top placed team, Derby.

Followed by a six - one victory over Millwall.

Lose narrowly to Reading away and early exit to an inform Preston away in the Cup -- Adams resigns.

When was the last time a City manager resigned or was dismissed in such a position?

[quote user="Shyster"] Lose narrowly to Reading away and early exit to an inform Preston away in the Cup

[/quote]

May I suggest you apply for a job as a spin doctor.

Shyster how did the 15 games go before the ones you mention

How much had Adams spent in the summer - £17M+

How many of his signings were regular starters - 1

Are you beginning to understand why he was moved on or do you need more facts ?

Adams did a terrible job with the team we have, he couldn''t even get us to stay in the play-offs. He deserved to get the sack, (oh right yeah he "resigned"). We should all be glad he''s gone and we can hopefully look forward to sensible team selections and smarter tactics with a new manager. Not that Adams should be blamed, I don''t know what the board expected exactly, how he got the job after his displays at the end of last season is still beyond me.

However, moving on, Alex Neil has had to pick up the pieces and get the team motivated with the help of Phelan and Holt and they''ve done well. Brentford is a big game where we could close the gap to just 5 points, having previously been 11? Glad he''s gone, never should''ve got the job in the first place, but deserves respect as an ex player and youth team manager. If he wants to ever manage this club again he needs to go out and experience what being a manager is all about because it looks like he has a hell of a lot to learn, starting in the lower leagues will provide him with great experience..

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 21/01/2015 12:29 AM:

To my knowledge the answer to PUPs league compiler Shysters question is never.

I don''t think it''s happened before, particularly after two magnificent wins at home.

Its got as much to do with "circumstances" as is has to do with "results".    Adams'' situation in the end was the same as Gunn''s - inexperience and too emotionally "Norwich" to see the wood from the trees.   How Adams got the post is history - but as for his leaving, that may well be as much down to his own realisation and emotions about how he was doing the job - and the board''s obervations of that - than "results" per se.

[quote user="Newton"]How much had Adams spent in the summer - £17M+

[/quote]

And seizing the opportunity to promote his agenda I note Newton has now moved the goalposts to £17M+. First it was £14M then it increased to £17M and now we have £17+. How much will it be next week Newton ?

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 21/01/2015 10:52 AM:

Newton wrote:

And seizing the opportunity to promote his agenda I note Newton has now moved the goalposts to £17M+. First it was £14M then it increased to £17M and now we have £17+. How much will it be next week Newton ?

I think it may have something to do with the price of oil!

That will never be proven Jas....I wager Adams Phelam combo would have had us in the top 6........promoted via play offs.

For what its worth I can''t take to our new manager! I don''t know why but I just don''t like him.....but hope that he can get us into the top 2 by May!

I to have to say Adams was removed at a strange time and now Phelans gone we have a very green manager so I hope his management ream are as good as those think it is.

I simply couldn''t see any liklihood of Adams taking us to the playoffs (in itself a ''failure'' in my view) although post-Phelan there was some upturn in results. Equally, I would regard not making the playoffs as a failure of Neil''s tenure. Further, I regard Phelan''s departure as deeply regrettable. Why the board decided to underpin Adams'' appointment is of course an interesting question as indeed is the orginal decision to point him in the first place.

[quote user="Newton"]Shyster how did the 15 games go before the ones you mention

How many of his signings were regular starters - 1

Are you beginning to understand why he was moved on or do you need more facts ?[/quote]Newton, you really need to go and do your research before throwing so called "facts" at anyone.Your breakdown of player prices has already been proven wrong, in some cases by as much as 50%. You really need to stop using that as a beating stick.For example, in that £17million plus you included Jerome as £3million - most sources suggest it was £1.5million. You say Miquel cost £1.5million quoting one source which is the Daily fail - hardly somewhere to quote as fact. I believe you also said that Lafferty was £3million - when in reality I think the most that was rumoured at the time was actually 3million Euro''s.I also suspect that many of the higher fees will be totals paid if they meet certain clauses such as promotion.The OP point still stands, it doesn''t matter what anyone says about the previous games to Phelan coming in as he is talking about Adams and Phelan together. And I agree with him, it has been a very, very long time since a manager has moved on leaving the club in such a position. I suppose you could argue that Lambert came close having left us after a successful season in the Premier League.Certainly, him apart, I don''t think any manager has left us in such a positive position since relegation from the premier league in the ''90''s, if not before.

''jas the barclay king'' -- "I''d wager that had we have stuck with Adam''s we''d have been in a relegation fight come May".

I very much doubt that - and who can realistically wager that we wouldn''t have got similar results against Bournemouth & Cardiff under Adams & Phelan? Might''ve beaten Brentford today to boot.

Correction: we beat Bournemouth because Phelan prepared the team for that game - he was also involved in preparing the team for Cardiff -- enter Alex Neil''s half-time team talk against Cardiff then today - 79 minutes of Whittaker in central midfield.