Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

R. Martin... "Now is the time for positivity"

“We’re right in amongst it,” added Martin. “I don’t know if it’s because of where we are or that we’re a one-club city, but I think at times this season people have been a bit down on us and a bit negative. There’s been a lot of cynicism at times from certain people and certain areas, and it’s a bit disappointing as a player, a bit disconcerting, because the effort has always been there and some performances have been really good.

“We’ve been a whisker away from getting some really good results, but I think it’s because of the strength of the squad we’ve got, the quality, I can understand people’s frustrations.

“We are really not far away and we’ve got 20-odd games left. Now is the time and I remember this time last time we got promoted, was when we really kicked into gear and we didn’t look back.

“So now is the time to do that. We’re eight points off the top, where we want to be. As long as we get promoted, I couldn’t care less where we finish. But that’s the aim, it’s still the aim and has always been the aim.

“There will be ups and downs between now and the end of the season but I really don’t think at times it’s been as bad as people have made out and now is the time for positivity.”

Gotta say I agree with him.

There''ll be no lack of positivity if the team do what Martin says they need to do (and did last time in the same situation). It''s in the team''s hands to convince the doubters and dispel concerns about the mentality of some in the squad.

Half agree with him. Of course now are positive, especially as we now have hope; we have a new manager who''s done really well so far, we''re scoring lots of goals, we''re rising up the table at a rapid pace, things are going well.

However, although he is right in that there has previously been a bit of cynicism, it sounds like he is saying that this feeling is unjust. Yet when the club appoint a youth team coach on the basis of one draw/ 1 point out of 5 (hard) games/15 points and then the club have managed to keep basically all of their players who finished 11th in the PL, when they slip and slip down and down to 10th place, there is reason to feel rather negative and that the club should''ve done better in the summer to get a manager in as all of us (mostly) knew/thought it was going to go t*its up, and it did. The feeling of cynicism was completely just at that point imo. After a great start and everyone feeling so positive having kept the squad the same, to fall such a way down and for Adams to pick some of the selections that he did, I don''t blame the fans one bit. Everyone is positive now that we are playing nearer our potential and that feeling will continue unless performances and results dip once again, however there''s not a feeling as if that''s going to happen. There''s every reason to be positive and that''s what we''ll be....except waveney of course

Russell Martin ''plays'' all his best games in the Evening News the day before a game.

I remember his infamous "Boro won''t phase us" piece that preceded a 0-4 battering, just one of many games this season that we haven''t turned up for.

Unfortunately his excellent performance against Cardiff last Saturday was the exception rather than the rule. Like too many of our so called stars this season he''s too inconsistent.

Unfortunately games are won on the pitch not on paper and I would much prefer to read his insights on a Monday morning after we have beaten the opposition than the continual guff trotted out the day before a game.

All you are doing Miggins is underlining exactly that "cynicism".People did not give Adams a chance really. They wrote him off before a ball was kicked in anger.And again, where we were placed wasn''t that bad, it may have been bellow some people''s expectations. But then looking at recent seasons that''s not exactly out of the ordinary. People were saying we should be in and around the European places, surging up the table and should expect to get victories against the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd. Delusional is one word that comes to mind.Then we are relegated and a large number of people say that we should "walk" this league. As if they were not around a few years prior, or for a great many years prior to that.There are good teams in this league. They won''t just step aside as we blather on about our god given right to return to the premier league. They''ll see us as big time Charlie''s for that sort of mentality and they''ll see our team as a nice scalp to have. For some teams, just beating a team like ours once a season will be their highlight, not the play-offs or promotion.As far as I am concerned we are yet to see Alex at the helm in his own right yet. The first game, by his own admission, he had not set the team up and it was very much Gary and Mike''s team. The second game he had had a week with the team and so was unlikely to drastically change anything, and still with Phelan there.This week, we are up against top 6 opposition who could well box a little bit more intelligently and he is without Phelan. He''s had the benefit of a couple of weeks with the players now, getting to know them and getting to understand which players off him what he wants to see in terms of closest fit.I''m behind Neil as I was behind Adams, I just find it strange that some people are already suggesting that Neil is a massive improvement just one game into his rein really. Most of the issue is people''s unrealistic expectations. People need to stop building things up to silly levels and get behind the lads.

Canary Island wrote the following post at 23/01/2015 7:45 PM:

I am looking forward to Ray giving us his inciteful views on what the story is behind these quotes

I''m looking forward to you giving your inciteful explanation as to why you called Josh Murphy a Big Time Charlie.

Now to make that remark I assume you have some knowledge about the lad, otherwise your just spouting BU11SH1TE which surely would not be the case.

So how did you form that opinion and why did you post it?

chicken wrote the following post at 23/01/2015 7:33 PM: People did not give Adams a chance really. They wrote him off before a ball was kicked in anger.

--------------------

It''s true that they didn''t want him in the first place (which proved rightly so), but they stopped before the season started and the initial shock of such an appointment was made and gave him a chance (like myself for example). When the season started it seemed that we were optimistic and positive, which rose as our fantastic start kept on going. Then came the change from the winning 4-4-1-1 formation, to the 4-4-2 and Grabban being made to play with another striker, but still not playing a defensive mid as a defensive mid. The poor results came and people lost faith, just like all fans do when they are in poor form.

----------------------------------------

chicken wrote the following post at 23/01/2015 7:33 PM: I just find it strange that some people are already suggesting that Neil is a massive improvement just one game into his rein really. Most of the issue is people''s unrealistic expectations. People need to stop building things up to silly levels and get behind the lads.

----------------------------------------

I don''t think it''s really got anything to do with Alex Neil for the positivity, I think it''s more about the sacking, or resigning of Adams which indicates that the club (and fans) feel that it hasn''t been good enough this season. I don''t think many people said we''d walk this league as its a hard league, but when the club for example state that they have the best squad in the league, the expectation then is to be higher than 10th, thats not an unrealistic expectation. When you keep all your players and you''ve got the highest wage budget, you don''t get in someone who has never managed before to do the job. People got behind him, but it wasn''t good enough, simple as that.

oh the irony. Would you like to tell me again how much of a good manager Adams is....again...and again eh? I''m just messing with you J

although Adams has gone would you like to do another ''sarcastic'' post about how it''s phelan who''s responsible for our upturn in fortune and not Adams?

Give up Mrs M. You argue your case admirably but then the ''keep the faith'' lot become abusive as they have no reasonable retort to your point of view.

This message board most definitely does not represent the point of view of anybody who sits near me in the Upper Barclay.

Thing is, despite that we all support our team vocally during the 90 minutes of play.

I don’t know if it’s because of where we are or that we’re a one-club city, but I think at times this season people have been a bit down on us and a bit negative. There’s been a lot of cynicism at times from certain people and certain areas, and it’s a bit disappointing, a bit disconcerting, because the effort has always been there and some performances have been really good.

Mr Jenkins wrote the following post at 23/01/2015 10:21 PM:

because the effort has always been there

-----------------------------

Just not true I''m afraid. Although I hate it when people say "FACT,'' it almost is that type of scenario. Preston for example, not one shot on target with our first team against their second team.

However, like you say, we have had some cracking performances and results. (my favourite being the recent Bournemouth game and also the 2-4 Cardiff game ear lie on in the season)

Bury Yellow wrote the following post at 23/01/2015 10:13 PM:

Give up Mrs M. You argue your case admirably but then the ''keep the faith'' lot become abusive as they have no reasonable retort to your point of view.

This message board most definitely does not represent the point of view of anybody who sits near me in the Upper Barclay.

Thing is, despite that we all support our team vocally during the 90 minutes of play.

-------------------------------------------

cheers, agree with that. good advice

Well this seems to have gone well! I may have missed it but I haven''t seen anything remotely abusive. The closest is Bury himself who appears to want to divide the board into little gangs with names...

Bury / Missus... where is this abuse?

just look at the previous page, although it''s fine me and J always have a bit of a verbal tussle every once in a while, sometimes he ''starts it,'' sometimes I do because we''re just children like everyone else on here really.

There''s no real division is there on this forum except perhaps against the odd binner that shows up and bor who''s turning everyone against himself by being a d!ck. I think as everyone is very positive because we are climbing back up the league our fan base will inevitably get stronger and stronger because there is less to divide opinion.

@Nutty - Actually, in this instance I think Jenkins is responsible for stirring. I threw a couple of questions at Miggins which were answered very reasonably. Jenkins tried to make a tussle when there wasn''t one.As for your responses Miggins I appreciate them. I''d also throw one thing out there, I don''t think Adams was a bad appointment in that he was a bad manager or even that he wouldn''t be capable of getting a team promoted. It''s quite clear that several members of the squad were motivated - I''d argue that all of his signings have given there all so far. However, as a young manager with little experience, which people like to bang on about, he just didn''t have the time and patience at this point in time to be given a real chance. He''d have been a better appointment had we not gone up and needing to have cut our cloth accordingly. I think he did relatively well considering his lack of experience - we just needed a little bit more, that''s all.Does Neil have that? He''s in a similar boat if you ask me, and I am a little concerned by Phelan''s departure. But we''ll see I guess. Do I feel lifted? Positive about the change? Yes, but I fear it could be short lived. Can Neil get the consistency we need? That''s the question. What may give us a fighting chance is that he has wiped the slate clean, any players that perhaps were not stepping up before may see the opportunity to do so now - Bassong is a great example. And Martin is right on him, he could be like a new signing, our defense has been crying out for an in form Bassong.

Its a football forum for goodness sake! ;)

When I first posted on here we had all that KTF bollox. There used to be real abuse then. There''s no real abuse on here now. Bury annoys me because his comments are the sort of thing that fuels this forums critics.

Getting back to Martin''s comments I think he has a point. It used to take failure to turn fans against the team. This time there was no real failure. We had that email McNally stuff on the back of 10 points from 5 games.

I''m probably old fashioned but I can only see support as a positive thing.

Canary Island,

I''m honoured that you look forward to my witterings, thank you.

From the sound of it these are words from the heart and are an attempt to share with all that are prepared to listen, how the players feel and what emotions they have. Why some would want to knock and/or belittle that is beyond me, if our players said nothing, never gave interviews and distanced themselves from the fans, then perhaps these knockers would feel more positive? Although somehow I doubt it, some folk simply enjoy living in a bubble of negativity. They must be happy there I guess.

Anyway, it appears to me that some posters have assumed the comments are aimed at the fan base, when nowhere does RM say that, he says "certain people from certain areas", so he could well mean the media, in all its forms.

Wow somebody has a different opinion and gets jumped on a susual. I too agree mostly with MM on this one and just request that the squad all just get on with playing to their ability, give 100%, play for the shirt every week.... and then they will answer all the critics.....it really is as simple as that. I like Russell Martin, but he is playing victim just a tadge here imho.