Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

What Exactly Is Being Boo'ed ?

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"]Grow up? Says the petulant pensioner?

Do me a favour.

It''s pathetic. Nobody cares that you waited until WBA to boo Hughton, the fact that you did and were part of the reactionary clapper throwing mass helped what?

You think we were better off in the last 5 games for sacking him? Were we better off with Adams? Were we better off Saturday when you got your booing out again?

Well...we booed him out, then the next one quit and now the new one has lost a game and played a player out of position when we only have one fit Central midfielder....boooooo.....

Get him out too....

The booing fraternity are like the flies that keep gravitating to the beautiful blue light in a kitchen. BZZZZ OW! BZZZZZ OW! BZZZZZZ OW! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

That ones dead....ring up the next one on the waiting list......[/quote]Yes, upon reflection perhaps I was remiss in not booing Hughton sooner but I doubt that McNally pays any regard to my opinion anyway so I don''t I will take the blame for that one.There will always be booer''s and booing, you might not like it but its'' an integral part of the game and I plan to exercise my right to cheer or boo at whoever or whatever I please.If you don''t like the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Making things worse is hardly going to help.[/quote]I doubt that the players are that weak willed that they can''t take a bit of booing. Christ! Ronnie Ashman became a club legend but had to endure merciless barracking in his early years (a bit before my time)I also recall John Benson, Mel Machin and Greg Downs getting it in the neck at some stage of their time at CR. (perhaps its something about full-backs) I don''t think it marked any of them for life.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Now I know where that bog roll on the pitch came from.[/quote]Small beer compared with the thousands of cushions that regularly littered the pitch during the Watling and Chase era''sHow quickly some of us forget.

Not everyone booed Benson, machin and Downs, not everyone threw cushions, even then you were in the minority Rickyyyy :) I''m too old to start this booing malarkey now and you''re too old to stop.

But like I said we all see things differently and like you said long may it remain so.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Not everyone booed Benson, machin and Downs, not everyone threw cushions, even then you were in the minority Rickyyyy :) I''m too old to start this booing malarkey now and you''re too old to stop.

But like I said we all see things differently and like you said long may it remain so.[/quote]Substitute any of those names for Thatcher and you''d be booing your head off Nigel.Politicians, actors, sportsmen, referee''s and match officials etc often edure barracking. Why should highly paid footballers and managers expect any different.The thread has only gone on this long because some people think its ok to stifle any sort of criticism that they object to. I''m not going to be told that I can''t express my displeasure in the way that I choose because it might offend someone elses sensibilities. Far too many people making far too much about being outraged over what is only a normal and time honoured form of barracking IMO.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]What''s being highly paid got to do with it?[/quote]I don''t really know but most of the boo attracters seem to be well wedged.I can''t imagine anyone booing somebody doing lowly manual labour.Ahhhh, wait a minute, I ve just remembered something from years ago. What about those 1p5wich groundsman who sanded the penalty area at Poorman Rd at halftime after we had spent the first forty five slipping all over the show. We gave them a right good booing and someone even jumped on the pitch and kicked the sand bucket over.Proper football in them days.[:D]

See if you try hard enough you can remember when we were on the same side Rickyyyyy. We booed on the dark night of the sand pails. We used to boo Ipswich mercilessly. All of us. And all opposition were booed as a matter of course. Your cushions that you remember chucking at our board used to be chucked at the officials much more often. The same officials who''d be booed incessantly if they gave decisions against our beloved club.the FA even threatened us with ground closure because of throwing cushions at officials. And before you youngsters laugh just remember that those cushions were better described as square frisbies with sharp corners. A were all on the same side once...

I certainly don''t intend to stop you booing our own Rickyyyy, I''m not into censorship of any sort and sincerely mean we are all different. But I won''t do it and will continue to say so.

[quote user="Pauls Ferry"]Grow up? Says the petulant pensioner?

Do me a favour.

It''s pathetic. Nobody cares that you waited until WBA to boo Hughton, the fact that you did and were part of the reactionary clapper throwing mass helped what?

You think we were better off in the last 5 games for sacking him? Were we better off with Adams? Were we better off Saturday when you got your booing out again?

Well...we booed him out, then the next one quit and now the new one has lost a game and played a player out of position when we only have one fit Central midfielder....boooooo.....

Get him out too....

The booing fraternity are like the flies that keep gravitating to the beautiful blue light in a kitchen. BZZZZ OW! BZZZZZ OW! BZZZZZZ OW! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

That ones dead....ring up the next one on the waiting list......[/quote]You can''t blame the fans for our predicament. The booing is a symptom of the malaise, not the cause.The fans are starting to realise that the owners are the root cause of what''s almost a generational slump at the club. The booing indicates not that the fans are impatient, but that they''re tired of the broken promises and being fed the same trite excuses.

Lol so they boo Whittaker rather than give some to Delia. I bet BigFatBob would have liked the players to take it for him. Just another symptom of you modern day lily livered boo boys...

"You can''t blame the fans for our predicament. The booing is a symptom of the malaise, not the cause.

The fans are starting to realise that the owners are the root cause of what''s almost a generational slump at the club. The booing indicates not that the fans are impatient, but that they''re tired of the broken promises and being fed the same trite excuses."

That''s a fair point, look fans are entitled to boo, it''s part of the deal and I don''t think anyone, well hardly anyone is arguing against that.

The point I make is that it''s counterproductive to do it during the game against your own players. I always want us to do as well as we possibly can in a game, I can''t think of one occasion when booing one of players has resulted in an improvement, all it''s going to do is make things worse.

Booing a the end is more effective in expressing dissatisfaction with the whole thing IMO.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]See if you try hard enough you can remember when we were on the same side Rickyyyyy. We booed on the dark night of the sand pails. We used to boo Ipswich mercilessly. All of us. And all opposition were booed as a matter of course. Your cushions that you remember chucking at our board used to be chucked at the officials much more often. The same officials who''d be booed incessantly if they gave decisions against our beloved club.the FA even threatened us with ground closure because of throwing cushions at officials. And before you youngsters laugh just remember that those cushions were better described as square frisbies with sharp corners. A were all on the same side once...

I certainly don''t intend to stop you booing our own Rickyyyy, I''m not into censorship of any sort and sincerely mean we are all different. But I won''t do it and will continue to say so.[/quote]Weren''t my cushions Nigel, couldn''t afford a seat in those long off days. We did all our booing from the cheap end.[:D]

If you are stupid enough to cheer the shambles that was last Saturday then that is your choice, but I for one am not prepared to pay good money to watch it without voicing my discontent when and how I like!

My old teacher told me empty vessels make most noise. He had point. It is possible to be quiet sometimes neither booing or cheering. We don''t have to be doing one or the other.....

rumour has it the club played additional booing sounds through the PA systems at Carrow Road to speed up the sacking of Neil Adams.

Booing certainly has a time and a place and with our board of directors I feel it is absolutely necessary at times because they seem to be so pig headed and/or surrounded by so many pyschophants that sometimes they need to know that the masses are deeply unhappy. On that front I think Norwich fans are generally slower to turn on the board/their team than many sets of supporters.

I also agree with Purple in that the predisposition to the odd boo at the moment is a sign of a wider loss of trust between fans/management and board. We don;t trust the board therefore we are less unquestionably accepting of their decisions at present. We feel the players are underperforming significantly therefore patience starts to wear out.

I was not at the Brentford game (watched in on the internet) but had I been there i would not have booed Whitaker personally but i would have cheered the decision to finally take him off and make a change that should have been made after about 10 minutes. I believe thats what most fans were doing rather than attacking him personally. A few probably were booing him personally though because he''s generally been sh*t for us for most of the season (plays much better for Scotland), was particularly awful on saturday (ok some mitigation in playing out of position but that does not stop you being able to control the ball or do basics) and also because of the way he reacted (or to be more precise did not react other than stand still and shrug his shoulders) when being robbed of the ball for their first goal in what was until then a promising position for us.

Fans are largely helpless to influence events on the pitch other than through support or when we are unhappy with things large scale shows of disatisfaction. That performance on saturday was so unbelievably, pitifully, embarrassingly bad that it definitely deserved some booing,. The manager is lucky more of it was not directed his way rather than Whitakers.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]He was no where near our worst performer on Saturday though. So despite all theboo boy rhetoric why single him out Jim?[/quote]

He was Nutty. He was appalling although I would agree that turner and Cuellar were just as bad. My point was that i think most people were cheering/ironically cheering the belated substitution that should have been made about an hour earlier by which time it was abundantly clear to anyone watching that playing Whittaker in that midfield role and indeed playing that formation with lafferty plus the two strikers (against a team with a good midfield) was simply not working.

I don;t think Whitaker was being singled out by most. Some yes, for the reasons i have cited but not most. Obviously I was not actually there, just going on how I felt watching the game and what i think i would have been doing had i been at the ground.

He was by the boo boys Jim. And you singled him out in your original post. I really don''tsee how you can say he was the worst if you watched the game. Worse than Lafferty? Really? He was scapegoated by the boo boys.

Whittaker lost the ball embarrassingly which lead to their goal but he lost 75 yards up field from our goal. Those that clamour for Wes to have played in his place, and I wanted Wes to play, would have had to accept losing possession in a similar area as a price to pay. I doubt Wes would have been booed for it though.

Booing happens, but it doesn''t make it right.  Booing players or a team that is just outside the play offs, missing most of its midfield through injury, with a manager still learning about his players, competing against one of the best teams in the division is barmy.    What is the cause of the dissatisfaction............."Waaa! We''re not top of the league, Waaa! We didn''t like Hughton, Waaa! Adams wasn''t good enough Waaa! The players aren''t good enough...Waaa! Waaa!"   Its just noising off.   We''re not bottom, we''re not even mid table - we''re in the mix for promotion.

The booing indicates that a proportion of our fans can''t accept the reality of our team struggling against a better team and can''t take circumstances into consideration - we had injuries and as Nutty said, Whits made a mistake and if had been Wes or Jonno (as has

happened with both players, leading to goals against) they would not

have been booed.  Whits may play again on Saturday - I hope he does - the next time he goes on a mazy run and scores like he did at Swansea, or slams in the equalizer in the 89th minute like he did at Derby,  I hope your cheers get stuck in your throat.

If CR is becoming a place of little atmosphere, with

a group of spoiled fans who just want to boo, then the only way is down

the league because the players will find it even harder as time goes on to respond. Whittaker and the others need support, not spoiled children throwing toys out of their prams.  Booing ain''t gonna help boys, it never did and it never will. 

I''m sure there''s a doctoral thesis somewhere around the psychology of football crowds, perhaps, using Carrow Road as a case-study.

But, to answer the OP, I suspect the booing was simply borne out of an increasingly frustrated crowd. Frustrated that the opportunity to establish ourselves in the PL was squandered. Frustrated that the board failed to act in a timely fashion last season. Frustrated that we failed to appoint an experienced manager in the summer. Frustrated that promotion was slipping away. Frustrated with a the appointment of a little known new manager. Frustrated with the team selection, tactics and effort on Saturday. FrustratIon compounded by the fact that a poorer squad at Ipswich looks set for the PL. Despite what some posters have suggested my perception is that the booing on Hooper''s substituion wasn''t aimed at Whittaker but was general level of disapproval about every aspect of the match to that point.

And the boo boys angrily telling Whittaker that he wasnt fit to wear the shirt was due to an unfortunate coincidence where there was a Binner strangely also called Whittaker, who sat behind the dug outs in a Norwich shirt gloating about being above us.....

OK......