Sign in to follow this  
Chris Meadows

We need a Creative Midfielder

The midfield seems to be very short at the moment and since Mulryne has left we haven''t replaced him with a player with creativity, Safri can knock it about but I feel we need someone whos going to split open a defence with a pass instead of getting the ball to Huckerby evert attack because teams have worked this out and put two men on Hucks, so why not sign someone like vaughan from Crewe or Sidwell

It has to be Sidwell.  he stands out in this league just like Cahill did before he went ot Everton.

With the transfers out and wages saved we must have both the capital and available wages to make a move for what could be the missing link.  The important thing is to do it NOW!!

I think that this has been a problem for some time. The running of Francis made some compensation, but it is some time since we had a midfielder with vision and touch.

I don''t think that Worthy will get his passing game unless and until we find a player who can be available, receive the ball and then use it. Mulryne offered promise at this when he arrived, but eventually he was reduced to short passes, usually across the pitch and to players already marked.

What we need is not someone who can pass accurately to a colleague, but someone with vision to pass into a space into which a colleague can run, and who thus is not immediately tackled.

I would have offered Mulryne a short term deal personally. Purely as back up. You can never have enough options in the middle, and at the moment, we really don''t have enough, when you consider Safri is injury prone and so on.

Agree we need one,  but who can we realistically get?

Sidwell; don''t Reading value him over £3m? That would be too much for us I think. And would they sell to us as we are in the same division? I think this is a nonstarter.

Mulryne just wasn''t making the effort, he had to go.

Players like Cahill/Sidwell (i.e. established as quality players) will go to Premiership teams. That means we would have to take a gamble on a young player. Maybe another loan deal is the answer...

Quite right about Sidwell. Good player, but Â£2-3m to a middle Premiership team, or any near certainties for Promotion come January, I would guess.

The balance in midfield was wrong on Saturday, but mainly I think due to injuries of Safri and half-fit Jarrett.  Lets see how they do with a proper run in the team. Its too early for any panic buying. I think Worthy is right to hold onto any money from Francis or otherwise until the January window, and re-assess then.

As for Mulryne, I think it would have made sense to keep for him another year, because he has proven able to make a contribution at this level before. But I get the impression that he didnt want to hang about as a squad player anyway, although Im not sure he''s actually first choice at Cardiff either? 

[quote]Quite right about Sidwell. Good player, but £2-3m to a middle Premiership team, or any near certainties for Promotion come January, I would guess. The balance in midfield was wrong on Saturday, but ...[/quote]

Thats looking likely, however Reading do not look strong this season at all. I think he might become available for a smaller price in January if they are struggling in Mid-table (Which I am expecting)

I wouldn''t exactly say reading don''t look good this season seeing as they''re only one point worse off than us. what does that make us look. sidwell is highly unlikely to move here, if he goes anywhere it would be premier. There''s got be some top club youngster needing experience who would like to come on loan.

We DO need a creative midfielder and a decent centre-back, what is really annoying me is that the vast majority of us have been aware of this for some time, we should not be in the position of having to "panic buy" but it looks like we might be. I sincerely hope that NW is just putting up a smokescreen with his "I am happy with my squad" comments because it is plain from both pre-season and the opening two league fixtures that we are A)incapable of keeping a clean sheet and B)without Safri we have nobody who can put their foot on the ball and control the pace of the game.

I sincerely hope we sort ourselves out before Saturday as Palace will now be absolutely desperate to get something from their visit, I know it is very early in the season but frankly I am worried already.

Mark .Y.

John Welsh at Liverpool could be a good loan signing. He is 21, an England U21 international and thought of highly. Similar to Gerrard is how some view him.

one word.....Mcveigh - ok he cant cut it at prem level but does no-one else remember how bloody brilliant he was and instrumental in getting us promoted from this level? glad 2 see he was back on bench against palace - i know hes small and lightweight - but his footwork is exceptional and adds a real creative touch of class....and he also weighs in with more than his fair share of goals - look at the championship season......and his vision and distribution are second to none - i say bung him back in and see what happens - anyone remember THAT ball he played in the first home game of the championship season? against rotherham i think it was.....outside of the right foot, into eastons path - swerved between two defenders....or that volley he scored off-balance from 20yards out which dipped and swerved all the way to the top-corner......dont get me wrong - im not mcveigh''s biggest fan but i think if we need a creative midfielder then he could be the answer - id love to see him and safri in the middle of the park.............oh yeah, and BRING BENTLEY BACK!!! he has property in the area - best mates with ashton - already spent a year with us - looked quality and anyone who says different need look only as far as the number of games we won without him in the team last season....0

West Ham have realised you need a creative midfielder and have gone out and bought one. This guy, Benayoun is highly talked of and showed real class in his first game against Blackburn. So cool and composed on the ball, his passing was brilliant and has two assists already, (and is looking a real bargain in my dream team...)

Why do we not have a creative midfielder? I''d like to see us sign Bentley and play him just off the striker because I think he could do this job for us... and I believe him and Ashton are good mates. McKenzie has all the effort level''s but his passing and awareness of the game are appalling at the moment.

Green

Colin              Shackell         Fleming      Charlton

Marney/Kristiansen      Jarrett       Safri        Huckerby

Bentley

Ashton

Let''s try and get this team before 31st August Worthy/Delia/Doomcaster...

Jamie, just a few words. Totally agree with all you wrote there and in my opinion, that side with Bentley PLAYING DOWN THE MIDDLE (take note worthy) would be awesome. Why many peolle on this board don''t want Norwich to make a move for Bentley is beyond me. Before he signed on loan for us last season he was described by Wenger himself, as being very much in the Bergkamp (ie, just behind the front line) mould. So then we proceeded to sign him and play him on the wing, NOT where he is at his most effective.

There is no doubt in my mind that Bentley would be an asset for the club. His technical skill and vision would be second to none at the club. I have noticed that people harp on about his physical persence, and yes maybe he is a bit lightweight. A season in the championship may well toughen him a bit. Just try to sign him Worthy.

The signing of a creative midfielder, or failing that, playing Huckerby in Jamies above formation where he has put Bentley, would totally change the way the team played. At the moment it all seems rather predictable, with play coming from the wing and being tossed in for Ashton. Brennan could then be played on the left wing, one of the best crossers the club has got, with Marney on the other wing. This would then give the team another dimension, with a viable attacking routes through the centre rather than to rely on crosses the whole time. I am not suggesting that we should not cross, by all means do, especially when you have a striker of ashtons quality to cross to, i''m just suggesting that the team should mix it up more.

Those are my views anyway.