Sign in to follow this  
Jakesacanary

Mike Phelan.......

A step in the right direction. Why the club originally decided to appoint such an inexperienced management team, and why it has still not taken the opportunity to appoint an experienced manager now are both equally puzzling. So, we still need to go around the loop of Adams'' eventual replacement, presumably at the point by which the target of making the playoffs is unachievable.

If results don''t pick up when Phelan starts you won''t have to wait too long for him to become manager Highland. If results do improve and we get the team playing as well as we all assume they can then thats all good.

[quote user="Jenkins"]If results don''t pick up when Phelan starts you won''t have to wait too long for him to become manager [/quote]So what you''re saying is that we have appointed a top class and "experienced coach", who has no experience of being a Manager, to help our "inexperienced Manager". Then, if the "experienced coach" does not have any positive effect and results don''t improve, we then sack the "inexperienced Manager" and replace him with another "inexperienced Manager".All common sense really, isn''t it

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]agreed.. when we "scoured Europe" why was Phelan not appointed then?[/quote]

Why are quoting something that wasn''t said? #factcheck

[/quote]

said by our very own board on Radio Norfolk... been confirmed many times on here

[/quote]

“The reason we took longer than we wanted to take was because we did a review of the German market, the Italian market, Spanish market, the whole of the British Isles, to find the candidate who stood the best chance of getting us promotion as soon as possible,” Bowkett said.

Nobody said they "scoured Europe", it''s just another message board myth.

Making Plans wrote the following post at 21/11/2014 8:56 AM:

Jenkins wrote:

If results don''t pick up when Phelan starts you won''t have to wait too long for him to become manager

So what you''re saying is that we have appointed a top class and "experienced coach", who has no experience of being a Manager, to help our "inexperienced Manager".

Then, if the "experienced coach" does not have any positive effect and results don''t improve, we then sack the "inexperienced Manager" and replace him with another "inexperienced Manager".

All common sense really, isn''t it

What I am saying is if things don''t pick up Adams will be gone and IMO Phelan will take over, maybe only as a caretaker, but if results then improve you know as well as me what will happen, he will get the job.

IMHO it is an excellent appointment, but as some have pointed out fraught with difficulty, the key one being how NA reacts when given advice by an obviously more experienced guy? And will MP likewise be able to hold his tongue if his boss doesn''t take his advice?

But these situations are not new or unique, just needs a sensible grown-up attitude by all concerned.

Also, success or failure is obviously not just a binary thing- ie is it right to tar the whole of the management/coaching team for failure, or likewise credit them with success? I would argue not. Swansea may be a very good recent example where after Laudrup went came the stories of how the success was down to others and he paid little attention to the daily training ground grind. Some people last year were calling for replacement of CC and PT as some perceived the issue to be there even more than with CH.

In our own case we have examples of No2s taking over and doing well, such as Brown, Stringer, Walker, but also where it has failed.

It is also true that some coaches cannot step up successfully to management- Brian Kidd may be a good example here bearing in mind the Man Utd context.

When NA was appointed every one was pretty much unanimous that he needed an experienced sidekick, and I can''t think of anyone better than MP frankly to fill this role. Imagine all the contacts, players, techniques and tips he must have learned, and even in SAF''s last year by media consensus they were far from the best team but still won the league so something must have been going right. Remember that SAF is one of the most ruthless managers known, he is not going to put up with coaching dross.

A good coach does not guarantee success, nor does a good coach and management combo. But this will surely increase our chances, and I don''t buy the theory that if it does not work out it automatically means that MP is not fit to take over. It may turn out to be that way, but I don''t see it as a necessary consequence. I feel a lot more optimistic now than I did at 4.55pm a couple of weeks back.

Excellent appointment by NCFC. I wish I had the wisdom of some on here who seem to have such incredible knowledge and foresight to the extent of knowing far, far better than our board what is best for the club. Have the schools broken up ?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Last time I checked, Germany, Spain Italy and good old Blighty were part of Europe....[/quote]

But you don''t seem to understand how to use quotation marks correctly, no-one ever said "Scoured Europe" and it was never "confirmed many times on here".

I think it will be phelan with culverhouse, or am i just hoping, adams gone by tues hopefully he is in a meeting atm