Sign in to follow this  
rich

match thread v leeds at home

opticians appointment ran well over, how''s the first half hour going. just heard leeds hit the bar.

cheers vince that covered everything I need. it''s a lively one isn''t it. how can anyone enjoy a football match if they keep having to write updates every minute is beyond me

I can''t stand listening to our games now. Too depressing.

It''s a good thing I never get the chance to go and watch.

we need to make some kind of change, the club is in a rut.

the board needs to invest in worthy, bring in a new coach, or let someone else have a go. there''s only so long we can go on about luck and with players going through the motions.

I''ve just got back from the match (I only live in Thorpe!) and it was utter rubbish today. Our most clueless performance at home in a long time. We never looked like scoring and only started to play like the home team in the second half. Something''s got to change hasn''t it? I don''t know what the answer is but at the moment we''ll be lucky to finish in the top half.

Managed to get a ticket for today''s game - a very disappointing result and not a particularly inspiring performance. Some thoughts/comments:

In 12 challenges Shackell won 11 (most against the taller and bigger Pulse) - in 10 challenges Fleming won 3 and none against Hulse. I know this only represented a 20 min snapshot but I think these figures tell a story.

There were some good performances with Huckerby, Safri, Brennan, Shackell, Green, Marney & Charlton all looking lively. Colin was adequate and McKenzie worked tirelessly but the quality of his passing and shooting was woeful. Ashton looked sluggish and about as dangerous as Gary Doherty (who looked ok when asked to play right back!?!).

My only comments about Worthy concern the lack of transfers - when Deano, Leon & Hucks are not scoring we do not have another real option (which is why I guess he wanted Morrison) and we are short on pace upfront (apart from Hucks but even he does not look as quick as two seasons ago). There is clearly a need for another quality midfielder a la Safri, a stronger centre back to play alongside Shackell (although I think Doherty should be given a chance), and someone quick and confident upfront - even if they are a bit raw.

I agree Marmite.  Last season we would all have loved to have finished bottom half of the table but out of the relegation zone.  This year I cant see us even making the play-offs.

What is going wrong?  I sat at Carrow Road today very frustrated at what I was watching.  Huckerby played his socks off.  He must be well hacked off working so hard only for the front two to fluff it up each time.

Great performances from Shackell (immense again) and Safri (MoM easily). Hucks created a lot of chances with his trickery despite being on the right, although their left back was very good, very quick. One thing I couldn''t understand was why Worthington didn''t put McVeigh or Hendo on the right, so that Hux could run at the ageing Gary Kelly. Marney, Brennan, Charlton and - believe it or not - Flem all had very sound games. Easily their worst game so far for both Deano and Leon; not for want of effort, just a complete lack of confidence, leading to awful touches and them snatching at their chances. We still lack imagination in the last third of the field, but I can''t see us making a badly-needed foray into the transfer market for QUALITY players by next week.    

I agree with you Link. I didn''t think Marney was quite strong enough in central midfield especially against a physical and aggressive Leeds team. Leon, Ashton, Hucks, Brennan had enough chances to win this game. Shacks and Fleming did well against an overly physical Leeds front line. I thought we deserved to get something out of the game.

No one has mentioned Uriah Rennie. I thought he had a bad game allowing Leeds to get away with a lot of physical stuff and why after booking Hulse for his challenge on Shacks [who should have got booked in the first half for exactly the same thing] did he not book him again for celebrating his goal off the pitch. He was a weak ref who let things go – hence the aggro on the touchline at the end with Leon and Hucks. A poor, poor performance.

Clueless,  big hoof up front to Ashton or try and get it to Huckerby, that about sums up the tactics from our manager and coaching staff.  Just remind me again does Worthy have a coaching qualification which is highly rated by UEFA?

Substitute decisions today were out of the Worthy top drawer, 1 - 0 down bring on Doherty and play him at right back, bring on McVeigh with 4 minutes to go, absolutely pathetic.  How much do these people get paid to make those decisions.

Three points from 4 home games, 4 goals scored all season.. and some people are still clapping. Its time for some people to wake up and smell the coffee - we are now in a crisis. Leeds were ordinary but appeared much more likely winners than us. The only bright spots were safri - as always, Brennan, and shackell who leeds appeared intent on seriously injuring. After stoke have had us for dinner on monday - what next?

Where is it going wrong

1 - The board are not the greatest thing since sliced bread. It has become apparant that we had to sell this summer to allow players to come in. This policy meant that we players we would have liked went to other clubs. You then have to move down your list.

2 - Although Worthy has done a good job you can''t deny that he got a bit lucky in the promotion season. The league that year was pretty poor and anyone with a touch of quality (Hucks) would have been up there. Since then we''ve seen the majority of signings shipped out or not played becuase Worthy has realized they''re not up to it.

3 - We sell a midfielder who got us 7 goals and a few points last season for peanuts. We have yet to replace him and according to Worthy we don''t need to.

4 - Since Malky left we haven''t got anyone on the pitch with a bit of leadership.

5 - The championship this year is definitely a higher standard.

6 - We seem to be intent on hoofing the ball up to the front two all the time, the capability to play the ball on the ground and to feet seems to have disappeared.

I could go on but this dross can''t continue for much longer before something has to change.

We need Kristiansen! Simple as. Wolves get him they surely go up, plus they also have Seol Ki-Hyeon on the other side they will have the ammo. We need Kristiansen and if you think, Huckerby and Kristiansen suppling balls we will be great, but if our strikers continue as they are at the moment they won''t be able to convert from a yard out soon!

[quote]Great performances from Shackell (immense again) and Safri (MoM easily). Hucks created a lot of chances with his trickery despite being on the right, although their left back was very good, very quick...[/quote]

I think a defender and midfield are a must, maybe but last option would be another striker. And as for the game itself I think Brennan did good, Safri is just great and Shackell wasn''t scared of anything. But its just we are supplying ammo (even tho it very little) but they are just not suitable for the weapons so to say?

[quote]I think a defender and midfield are a must, maybe but last option would be another striker. And as for the game itself I think Brennan did good, Safri is just great and Shackell wasn''t scared of anyth...[/quote]

Nice picture Creasy! I think my reaction was the same as Svenny''s.

[quote]We need Kristiansen! Simple as. Wolves get him they surely go up, plus they also have Seol Ki-Hyeon on the other side they will have the ammo. We need Kristiansen and if you think, Huckerby and Kristi...[/quote]

Hmm but what makes you think Kristiansen will want to come to a club 4th bottom of the Championship? The time to buy was during the close season, now we''ll never get anyone of any quality!

Agree on your sig pic btw, very eye catchinhg!