Sign in to follow this  
Canary On The Wire

So help me make some sense of this?

Thats bound to be part of it LDC, it also adds some "weight" to the credibility of the management group when it comes to attracting new players and making best use of contacts within the game.

As i have posted elsewhere, it could be a marriage made in heaven But it is essential that its very clear what peoples'' roles are and that all parties fully understand how things will work from the outset.

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]My point isn''t that Royle won''t be useful or even that I don''t understand what he''s here to do because I do LDC.

My point is McNally said there would be a four-seat management board, himself, Adams, the Technical Director, and a Director of Recruitment- I initially thought Royle had been added to this, deviating from the plan as outlined by McNally

As Adams has apparently said Royle as Football Consultant is a member of the backroom staff and not on the management board itself.

That''s odd given his experience.[/quote]

I don''t really see it as odd because if Royle has no say to do with management decisions, it proves that he is there purely as support.   Support without pressure is a great thing to have and Royle, given the character he is and the experience he has, would seem ideal for that role. 

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]So allegedly we go out in pursuit of a manager and approach those with apparently radically different ideals. If Malky and Zola, for example, were both actual candidates, one has a very regimented philosophy, the other very fluid.

This doesn''t fit with McNally saying the manager would be signed up to adhere to a club philosophy if we were already chasing managers with radically different philosophies.

It also appears to make no sense that we have Adams in place who we know likes fast counter-attacking football where the squad suits it, and have appointed Joe Royle to advise on a club philosophy that can''t have been put in place yet as we don''t yet have a technical director to oversee it.

By the time our setup is complete we''ll have Adams, Robson, Royle, Holt, McNally AND the Technical Director all micromanaging the football side.

If it works, it could be excellent. But it just seems like there''s too many cooks...and that''s not counting Delia!

Someone explain how the pieces fit to form a cohesive team? If Robson, Holt and Adams coach, if Royle is just an advisor to Adams why hire him?

It seems like confused thinking with what the Board saying it wants to do colliding with what it appears to be doing.

I want to be wrong and until proven otherwise as a supporter I give my full backing to the appointments.[/quote]

Don''t get too caught up with the Technical Director post. It''s just a new title for Ricky Martin.

[quote user="St Georgey"][quote user="Canary On The Wire"]So allegedly we go out in pursuit of a manager and approach those with apparently radically different ideals. If Malky and Zola, for example, were both actual candidates, one has a very regimented philosophy, the other very fluid.

This doesn''t fit with McNally saying the manager would be signed up to adhere to a club philosophy if we were already chasing managers with radically different philosophies.

It also appears to make no sense that we have Adams in place who we know likes fast counter-attacking football where the squad suits it, and have appointed Joe Royle to advise on a club philosophy that can''t have been put in place yet as we don''t yet have a technical director to oversee it.

By the time our setup is complete we''ll have Adams, Robson, Royle, Holt, McNally AND the Technical Director all micromanaging the football side.

If it works, it could be excellent. But it just seems like there''s too many cooks...and that''s not counting Delia!

Someone explain how the pieces fit to form a cohesive team? If Robson, Holt and Adams coach, if Royle is just an advisor to Adams why hire him?

It seems like confused thinking with what the Board saying it wants to do colliding with what it appears to be doing.

I want to be wrong and until proven otherwise as a supporter I give my full backing to the appointments.[/quote]

Don''t get too caught up with the Technical Director post. It''s just a new title for Ricky Martin.[/quote]The Technical Director role has nothing to do with overseeing philosophy or club development strategy. That is Adam''s responsibility with the assistance of Joe Royle and the head of player recruitment.

As an aside, I think they made a big mistake putting the word ''director'' in the Technical Director''s job title, because most people assume a director is senior to a manager. Head of Football Support Services would have been a better title based on how McNally described it.

Bravo PC.

Semantics and the avoidance of the DoF title, despite the role being precisely what was needed, both as a macro ongoing, over-arching club structure and as a micro reinforcement to amortise Neil''s relative lack of experience, contacts and "football access".

I like the look of the new management structure as opposed to the conventional manager, assistant manager and coach version. I suspect McNally has been working on this for some time, though I think Adams proposed Royle as part of his team early on. What I also hope is that the Technical Director will help to stem the number of serious injuries City had last year whilst also allowing Adams to concentrate on managing the team. It makes sense to me anyway.

[quote user="City1st"]management board ?management board mettings ?I think some on here are confusing themselves unnecessarilythe club know what they are doing, those involved know what they are doing so why all this guff ?let get on with it and judge them on the results

[/quote]Based on last season they havent got a blooming clue!

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Bravo PC.

Semantics and the avoidance of the DoF title, despite the role being precisely what was needed, both as a macro ongoing, over-arching club structure and as a micro reinforcement to amortise Neil''s relative lack of experience, contacts and "football access".[/quote]Parma, when I heard it was Royle as "football consultant" I drew up a management flow chart. After this fashion:A box at the bottom with Robson and Holt in it, with an arrow upwards to the box containing Adams. Another arrow upwards from there to the Technical Committee box, with Adams, McNally, the technical director and the chief scout huddled together. And an arrow upwards from that to the box with the directors in it.But I also had a Royle Box (!) to one side, with arrows going in both directions, to and from the Adams Box, an arrow going to the Technical Committe Box, and a dotted line arrow to the Directors'' Box.Despite McNally''s line-up some days ago of the Technical Committe comprising only those four listed above, it would seem odd for someone of Royle''s vast experience not to be part of its discussions, if only unofficially and only some of the time. And possibly also to be a private sounding-board for the directors.This was particularly on the assumption that the technical director would be a more of a sports scientist than anything else, possibly not even with a football background, and so would lack that macro overview you mention, which would be Royle''s domain. Given that, the structure looked well thought-out, with a natural flow to it, and each person with a clearly-defined role.Today there has been this rumour about Mark Wotte, who is plainly more than just a sports scientist, being the TD. If so that posssibly muddies the water a bit, since he would also be someone with a macro view. There might be a conflict of views there with Royle. We shall see what we shall see.

Bravo PC.

Semantics and the avoidance of the DoF title, despite the role being precisely what was needed, both as a macro ongoing, over-arching club structure and as a micro reinforcement to amortise Neil''s relative lack of experience, contacts and "football access".''macro ongoing, micro reinforcement. amortise.............''

"eeeh ladit were t''bl oody football in my daykick the bug gers harder than they kicked you that were it"(to be read in cod Northern accent)

Wotte is a heavyweight and interestingly moves us into the Dutch domain, where I have long felt we have a natural affinity, both in terms of culture, character and resources.

It can be observed that companies tend to over-solve the previous, rawest, most poignant problem.

Certainly if and when Wotte is appointed there would be no lack of oversight and we would have the clear European structure that is natural to me and which offers corporate reporting structures and accountability on the football side.

As I have stated elsewhere, the template has been established. The figures are familiar and unthreatening, though the principle will persist and the board and will benefit from the overdue removal of the football chinese wall henceforth.

The real lines of communication will be interesting.

All three are well known to Adams in various ways, perhaps Robson the least but even he has known Adams well from Academy/Youth matters.

They obviously share the preference of Adams for attacking football - he has talked of this frequently, and all are committed to Norwich City.

He has made clear what the roles are - Holt and Robson are the day to day coaches, with Adams when he is available, with Holt supplying discipline and no-nonsense training. Royle may occasionally be on the training field, but his main role is one of monitoring and contributing advice to Adams. I assume that the other three will have a presence in the dressing room, whereas Royle''s role will be largely in discussion with Adams elsewhere. All this has been expressed by Adams himself.

Royle''s role is less defined, as being ready to advise and provide a "sounding board" for the manager. Again, Adams has suggested that Royle has a vast knowledge at his disposal. Some people have suggested that he was involved in the speedy approach for Grabban, and may have recommended other targets. This is quite consistent with what Adams has said.

I also think the management structure has clear sets of responsibilities but there will of course be areas in common as well. The DoF will head the scouting network and identify targets which all of the staff will no doubt discuss and add suggestions. Royle''s involvement with recruitment will be along those lines, IMO, as well as assisting McNally with the approach for players targeted.