Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

just got back

In my opinion its all about good partnerships and Fer and Johnson looked an impressive working unit, as do Bassong and Turner. Shows the benefit of excellent work during the week on the training ground, so well done to CH and the coaches.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]''johnsons not good enough and needs replacing''
In what way?  He made 5 tackles, and an interception. That makes him our joint second best defender against Southampton, so clearly he was doing his defensive duty. His passing accuracy was 77% and he attempted 48 passes, the most of any Norwich player. So, what I''m saying, is that not only did  he do the defensive work we associate with him, his most maligned attribute (his passing) was incredibly good. By every statistical measure Johnson had a good game. I also thought he played very well, though what that is worth to you I''m not sure.
[/quote]

Also thought Johnson did better today.   Played to his strengths.  Get the ball, then give it to someone that can do something with it.   If he keeps doing that he can''t go wrong.    As for his shooting.........

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 31/08/2013 7:44 PM:

"...his most maligned attribute (his passing) was incredibly good."

Got to disagree there. His passing is nowhere as bad as his shooting at goal.[/quote]
I try not to think about his shooting... 
[:''(]

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 31/08/2013 7:44 PM: "...his most maligned attribute (his passing) was incredibly good." Got to disagree there. His passing is nowhere as bad as his shooting at goal.[/quote]

I try not to think about his shooting... 

[:''(]

[/quote]

I reckon he''s been watching Gossy and Safri on youtube

A few thoughts now I''m home...Fer is a different class.Redmond has that bit of spark we lacked last season.Johnson is a limited footballer but knows how to play within those limitations.Whits adds a whole new dimension going forwards.Howson looked off the pace but it was a difficult job he was asked to do.

Morty wrote:

"Am talking about winning the ball from goal kicks, knocking the ball down for players to run onto."

Yeah, I know, I was just messing. Honestly don''t see that as a bad thing, I think we''ll get more from RVW if we keep the ball on the floor and get it into feet, I''d much rather see Ruddy playing it out from the back than launching it. Elmander can do that job, but I think Howson or Wes can do it better. Always think it helps in that respect when Pilks is in the side too.

Plenty of options and combinations for Hughton to experiment with.

"I try not to think about his shooting..."

It''s getting quite comical now. Every time it looks like he''s about to smash one into row Z there''s a collective "Nooooooooo" in the crowd.

He was much improved today. Still played the odd bad pass, but it was nowhere near as bad as the showing against Hull where he struggled to pass the ball 5 yards at times.

Awesome display of hard tackling, I thought.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Morty wrote:

"Am talking about winning the ball from goal kicks, knocking the ball down for players to run onto."

Yeah, I know, I was just messing. Honestly don''t see that as a bad thing, I think we''ll get more from RVW if we keep the ball on the floor and get it into feet, I''d much rather see Ruddy playing it out from the back than launching it. Elmander can do that job, but I think Howson or Wes can do it better. Always think it helps in that respect when Pilks is in the side too.

Plenty of options and combinations for Hughton to experiment with.[/quote]Oh agree about passing it out[Y]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Morty wrote:

Plenty of options and combinations for Hughton to experiment with.[/quote]
We might in most other games, it''s just that Southampton press very high and cut off the short option from a goal kick (centrebacks come short, strikers follow them, goal keeper sees no easy option and kicks it long), we did the same thing to Southampton a couple times and their goalkeeper struggled just as much. Against teams that sit deeper we''ll probably see more short passes from Ruddy.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Fair comment. Anyone else think Southampton took way too many unnecessary risks giving the ball to Boruc when he was under pressure?[/quote]
It''s how their coach works. He wants the goal keeper to be an 11th passer, to help his team build from the back. I don''t think Boruc has the technique or mentality to do that though. They might be better off playing a younger, more adaptable keeper.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]''johnsons not good enough and needs replacing''
In what way?  He made 5 tackles, and an interception. That makes him our joint second best defender against Southampton, so clearly he was doing his defensive duty. His passing accuracy was 77% and he attempted 48 passes, the most of any Norwich player. So, what I''m saying, is that not only did  he do the defensive work we associate with him, his most maligned attribute (his passing) was incredibly good. By every statistical measure Johnson had a good game. I also thought he played very well, though what that is worth to you I''m not sure.

[/quote]

If Johnson''s passing is incredibly good at 77%, I''d love to see the description of Fer''s who was at 94%. Fer made more tackles than Johnson too. Thought Fer was a complete and utter beast today - We have got a gem (I guess we already knew this) in this man.

Fer made more key passes, even dribbled, had several shots etc. Completely awesome in the middle.

Think Hughton''s comment that we''re building a good team is spot on. Redmond, Fer, Ricky, Ruddy, Bassong - Love it.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Fair comment. Anyone else think Southampton took way too many unnecessary risks giving the ball to Boruc when he was under pressure?[/quote]
It''s how their coach works. He wants the goal keeper to be an 11th passer, to help his team build from the back. I don''t think Boruc has the technique or mentality to do that though. They might be better off playing a younger, more adaptable keeper.
[/quote]Didnt they make a pretty concerted effort to get Butland?

[quote user="iron_stan"]not bad. buthowson needs a kick up the @r53johnsons not good enough and needs replacingsnoddy was poor but not as bad as what some people are making out on here, we do to go forward a bit quicker and put the ball in  a lot sooneranyone know whats going on with olsson ?peach of a goal though from redmond, elmander did ok, saints didnt really threaten too much, wish we had signed wanyama though hes exactly the player we need in front of the back 4, would allow fer and 1 other a little more freedom

i cant actually moan too much about hughton today he got it pretty spot on[/quote]Haha, Wanyama was fuc*ing terrible today you muppet.

[quote user="Downloads"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"]''johnsons not good enough and needs replacing''

[/quote]

If Johnson''s passing is incredibly good at 77%, I''d love to see the description of Fer''s who was at 94%. Fer made more tackles than Johnson too. Thought Fer was a complete and utter beast today - We have got a gem (I guess we already knew this) in this man.

Fer made more key passes, even dribbled, had several shots etc. Completely awesome in the middle.

Think Hughton''s comment that we''re building a good team is spot on. Redmond, Fer, Ricky, Ruddy, Bassong - Love it.

[/quote]
I was comparing it to what is usual for Johnson, by his standards his passing was incredibly good! By anyone elses standards it was still very good, but not fantastic. I agree what you said about Fer though, he looks very, very impressive. 

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Phillip J Fry"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Fair comment. Anyone else think Southampton took way too many unnecessary risks giving the ball to Boruc when he was under pressure?[/quote]
[/quote]Didnt they make a pretty concerted effort to get Butland?[/quote]
Wouldn''t have surprised me. Butland has all the talent needed to be a top goalkeeper and because he''s younger, you can spend time on his passing and technique during his first season when he will be a back-up.

wanyama did his job across the pitch mopping up in front of the back four, the one time he got it wrong was when he didnt get close to redmond and we scored

[quote user="iron_stan"]wanyama did his job across the pitch mopping up in front of the back four, the one time he got it wrong was when he didnt get close to redmond and we scored[/quote]He did ok but no idea why they spent £12m on him when they already had Jack Cork playing well in that position. Fer apparently cost less than half that and looked more impressive.

[quote user="iron_stan"]wanyama did his job across the pitch mopping up in front of the back four, the one time he got it wrong was when he didnt get close to redmond and we scored[/quote]

Sorry,but Wanyama was the worst player on the pitch. When they were getting a substitute ready i was sure it was him going off. I actually cheered when it was Lallana instead.

Wanyama will have better games and Fer will have worse ones, only time will tell if Southampton paid too much for him.

[quote user="star_manic"]

Sorry,but Wanyama was the worst player on the pitch. When they were getting a substitute ready i was sure it was him going off. I actually cheered when it was Lallana instead.[/quote]

im sure your view from the 128kb stand in the Philippines must have given you a great vantage point to form an opinion ;)

[quote user="morty"]Wanyama will have better games and Fer will have worse ones, only time will tell if Southampton paid too much for him.[/quote]Previous to any moves I''d have said Fer had much a better pedigree, more potential and had accomlished more.So that get him for 1/3 of what they paid for Wanyama, its a steal.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="morty"]Wanyama will have better games and Fer will have worse ones, only time will tell if Southampton paid too much for him.[/quote]Previous to any moves I''d have said Fer had much a better pedigree, more potential and had accomlished more.So that get him for 1/3 of what they paid for Wanyama, its a steal.[/quote]I don''t disagree, I think we have an absolute bargain in Fer, if he keeps up this form. I rate Wanyama, but I do think they paid a bit too much for him too.

Agree with all of the OP''s points apart from having a go at Johnson. He played much better yesterday and wasn''t far off a contender for MOTM in my book. Probs an 85% pass success and plenty of strong challenges. He was lucky not to concede a penalty though.

Whittaker was my MOTM, everything he did going forward and defending was spot on apart from where he could have squared to RVW.

Fer is an absolute tank and can play a bit too. Redmond could be worth £30m next summer if he keeps these performances up, no joking. Bassong and Turner deserve a mention too.