Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Football or what?

He''s been spot on with his decisions on the whole. The guy upstairs has been the major culprit.

A proper days test cricket. I don''t think LDC would have enjoyed it.

The odds slowly heading back in England''s favour.

Loved it today. Painted the outside porch in the sun with TMS on 198 Long Wave.  Gripping day''s play, "proper" cricket as you say.Disappointed Broad didn''t walk though, I think that will set the tone for the behaviour of both sides during the series.  I know we got a couple of poor calls yesterday but that''s no excuse.

[quote user="Herman "]He''s been spot on with his decisions on the whole. A proper days test cricket. I don''t think LDC would have enjoyed it.

The odds slowly heading back in England''s favour.[/quote][:)] I would prefer to watch paint dry............like some others it would seem  [A][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Loved it today. Painted the outside

porch in the sun with TMS on 198 Long Wave.    [/quote]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "]He''s been spot on with his decisions on the whole. A proper days test cricket. I don''t think LDC would have enjoyed it.

The odds slowly heading back in England''s favour.[/quote][:)] I would prefer to watch paint dry............like some others it would seem  [A][quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"]Loved it today. Painted the outside

porch in the sun with TMS on 198 Long Wave.    [/quote]

[/quote][8o|] [:@] [:P]Started at 10am, finished at 4pm, my favourite sport on the radio at all times (except Lunch when they had that god-awful band playing.  Third rate Beatles cover band.)

Dunno, LDC, there''s a definite Pink Un link, what with Henry Blofeld waxing lyrically about Norwich City or the deployment of the odd very silly point.

We just need an "Umpire Watch" thread to complete the parallel universe.

That bloody Duckworth Lewis band. They are all over the place at the moment. Smug, gimpy crap. Missed Blowers rapping though, which is a small shame.

Do you like Boycott? He annoys the hell out of me, but my mate likes him because he annoys the hell out of people like me.

LDC, to try and turn you around;

Tomorrow is going to be hot. Get yourself a deckchair, decent portable radio, a fat Saturday newspaper/book* and a large G&T/crate of beer* and relax with Blowers, Tuffers et al.

*These are semi-optional.

A great line from Selvey''s report in The Guardian:This leaves Steve Finn, whose bowling, while never lacking industry, has been so generous and lacking in confidence in this game that when he has been bowling Edward Snowden could have sought asylum on a good Trent Bridge length and come to no harm.

[quote user="Herman "]That bloody Duckworth Lewis band. They are all over the place at the moment. Smug, gimpy crap. Missed Blowers rapping though, which is a small shame.

Do you like Boycott? He annoys the hell out of me, but my mate likes him because he annoys the hell out of people like me.[/quote]Boycott is irritating but I like him - he''s become a parody of himself since his serious illness, and I didn''t like his "sportsmanship" today though it is funny to listen to.  Much prefer him to Tufnell, who sounds like an Aldi delivery driver''s mate.

[quote user="Herman "]LDC, to try and turn you around;

Tomorrow is going to be hot. Get yourself a deckchair, decent portable radio, a fat Saturday newspaper/book* and a large G&T/crate of beer* and relax with Blowers, Tuffers et al.

*These are semi-optional.[/quote]

I''ll give the deckchair and the beer a go, but the cricket...............wouldn''t mean much as I don''t even know the details of players etc.  However, I''ll give it a chance - I''ll  listen tomorrow to see if TMS is as good as it used to be............

Bit of a collapse there in the end but hopefully Bell''s brilliant innings should mean England have enough. Can the Aussies get 311?. Plenty of time left.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Cricket for me and it''s a comforting contrast to the pressures my heart is put under watching the yella fellas.

I am, however, like a spare doo dah at a thingy until footie starts again[/quote]

You sure about that?![:D]

A wee bit close for comfort. Well done Australia and England. Brilliant test match.

Absolutely RC!

To people who say how can anything that lasts for five days be interesting, go back to The Sun and let us appreciate the War and Peace of sport.So many twists and turns you couldn''t make it up.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Well that was awesome! Great atmosphere after the final wicket. Cricket at its very best![/quote]You mean everyone ran out there waving machine guns and it was a total bloodbath?As that''s the only way I can ever see a cricket match being vaguely entertaining...[:D]

Spot on Nuff. Probably one of the most enthralling games in a long time. EC certainly got his money''s worth. Lucky sod.

Football is my No.1 sport and I am a coach of football as well (going through th badges) but I played county rugby and  I am about to start back playing again after a 4 year break. I also follow cricket and will often have it on in the background. Aside from that I am a gym bunny and go 3/4 times a week to grunt and look in a mirror. Ive also signed up to do a "tough mudder" in september for charity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7eLlfXEYNgSO GET SPONSORING!

I''m deeply suspicious of any grown man who claims not to like cricket (and by cricket I mean test cricket and not that other cricket for people who don''t like cricket). There truly is nothing better than a warm summer day, a good book/newspaper, a steady supply of ale (golden and hoppy for me at this time of year) and the sound of TMS. So in answer to the OP it''s cricket and cycling for me. Two sports which take the best part of a day to watch or play (sadly I was never any good at cricket but I do cycle two or three times a week.) and are pretty far removed from the breakneck speed of Premier League football. The older I get the more I find myself drifting away from watching football when NCFC are not playing and watching more and more cycling as soon as the season starts. A sport where (even more so than cricket) it can seem as if nothing much is happening for hours but which I find eternally fascinating for the sheer courage and effort displayed by the riders. Yesterday was pretty much the perfect sporting day for me with the conclusion of the first Ashes test and a summit finish up Mont Ventoux in le Tour. A gripping finish in both (with the added bonus of a Peter Sagan wheelie at the bottom of Ventoux which was splendid!) although I must confess to not really taking to Froome and half hoping that young Quintana would be able to pull away from him.

My other main sports are:-

Golf - I try to play at least twice a week (cuurent handicap of 12)

Cricket - I am involved locally and have previously been a member of a ceratin first class county which entitled me to good tickets for international matches, including the Ashes

Horse Racing - I have visited every racecourse in G.B. (all 61) and am a long-standing annual member at Fakenham

Speedway - supported King''s Lynn for many years but interest has waned a bit this year

Ok, I tried listening to the cricket, at least there was something happening, but my other half insisted on watching the golf.............

Now I can understand playing golf, even cricket, but watching middle aged overweight men  staggering  about on TV, hitting a little ball around when the weather is so good outside, I find hard to understand.............perhaps its just me..........

To be honest, the best cricket is all about close games where it''s 2-3 wickets or 30-50 runs between success and defeat.  A crushing victory, as this may turn out to be, is pretty underwhelming as a spectacle even if against the old enemy.This may be the worst Australian test side in my lifetime. They have a few decent players - Watson, Harris, Siddle - but as a unit they are woeful.  I reckon you''d get one Aussie into the England team at best (I''d have Siddle over Bresnan/Finn).

A couple of lines I''ve nicked from the internet;

Is it fair to say the Aussies have a mild form of ''Reviewing Tourettes''?

My grandmother can use technology better than the Australians.

Bat for another session I say, absolutely marmalise ''em

I''m with Chops on this. It''s good beating the Aussies, but when they are as poor as they have been, it feels a hollow victory. England haven''t been that great but have enough quality to walk it.

As a spectator, an Aussie fight back would be good for the game.