Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Football or what?

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="lake district canary"]Its the summer, football isn''t top of the list. so where do we go for our sport? My two sports have always been football and tennis, one for winter, one for summer..  I''ve tried cricket and golf and really don''t see the point in them - watching or playing.  The antics of cricketers over the years has put me off.  The list is endless from Gower and co buzzing around in little aeroplanes to Flintoff''s drunken melees, not to mention the fixing scandals.  Golf is so tedious to watch and play, better just go for a walk. So what does anyone else do?  Running? Endurance sports? Arm wrestling?  [:^)]  [/quote]Cricket''s my favourite sport & always has been, possibly because I was quite good at it.  Also have a growing love for Baseball. I run 3-4 times a week, 5k up to 8 miles on Sundays.  Mostly because I spend too much time in front of a keyboard.  Surprised "the antics of Cricketers" has put you off cricket, but sexual abuse and violence towards women by footballers hasn''t deterred you.  I think you might as well just say you don''t like cricket rather than looking for lame excuses? [/quote]

Fair do''s - I don''t like cricket. [:(] 

I can remember going out with this bird who hated football, many many years ago. And one Saturday I told her I was going to the game, and she said no you''re not. The ''I am going'', ''you''re not going'' raged for ages, until it was time to leave to go to the ground. At this point she had changed into a short skirt and low top, and slowly took them off as I was about to leave. I thought well, they haven''t been playing that well lately!!! [:P]

So, Football or what turned into, or what!!!

[quote user="Herman "]Do you have Sky or will it be TMS for you Mr C?[/quote]I have TMS on in the kitchen where I''m working/pottering around, and Sky in the lounge.  The time delay between radio & TV means when something good/bad happens, I have time to get through to the lounge to see it.

Best of both worlds.

Not the greatest of starts for England. Threw a lot of wickets away today. Missed the last four walking home.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="Herman "]Do you have Sky or will it be TMS for you Mr C?[/quote]I have TMS on in the kitchen where I''m working/pottering around, and Sky in the lounge.  The time delay between radio & TV means when something good/bad happens, I have time to get through to the lounge to see it.[/quote]

If you have a lounge you must be very Posh!I enjoy my sport in the drawing room1

Horse Racing.

Really been getting into it this year, been interested for a few years, but now its something i''m looking at every day, not necessarily watching everyday, but at the very least have a quick look through the cards and results.

Tennis, boxing and if i''m in the mood rugby union. Also enjoy most motor sports (just not that clued up on most, F1 and Speedway I have a bit of knowledge on). Athletics & snooker I also quite like watching, quite nice to have on when doing something else at the same time.

[quote user="Herman "]Best of both worlds.

Not the greatest of starts for England. Threw a lot of wickets away today. Missed the last four walking home.[/quote]It only needed to be a short walk to miss those four.We''re about 135 short of par, I think.  To win the toss and bat, you wouldn''t usually accept less than 300 and the pitch doesn''t look to have too many demons in it yet.Bright side is with Australia 75-4, we could sneak a small lead or only concede a small deficit.  I doubt we''ll bat as badly a second time*, and I wouldn''t want to bat last & face Swann on a pitch that is bound to turn more and more as the match goes on.

* Jinx!

Poor application by the batsmen of both sides today, especially as a lot of the bowling was not too searching.

At this rate, it''ll be all over by Friday.

England must be clear favourites, what with Australia batting last and facing Swann.

I always try to get a fix of cricket over the summer. I usually get to an England one day match, also going to a day at Old Trafford this summer, second day of the Ashes test

Also Ice Hockey, as I am in Sheffield the team here is pretty successful and I have been going since their first season

"Let''s be ''aving you!"Poor application by the batsmen of both sides today, especially as a lot of the bowling was not too searching.

At this rate, it''ll be all over by Friday.

England must be clear favourites, what with Australia batting last and facing Swann.

It was a first day to prove to the doubters that cricket can be exciting.

But the poor batting helped. The bowling wasn''t great, bar the odd moment of brilliance, but a lot got themselves out.

Out in the field, sun on my back, radio on. And getting paid. Happy today.

"It was a first day to prove to the doubters that cricket can be exciting."

Ha ha, you''re right there! Excited Canary was going today and will certainly have got his money''s worth.

I used to enjoy cricket in the 80''s when there were some characters about (Botham, Gower, Lamb, Atherton, Jack Russell, Merv Hughes etc) Probably because it was more accessible being on mainstream TV.

I used to get to a fair few matches as well and witnessed the Edgbaston riot at first hand.

These days gardening and dog walking are my summer activities.

Had great fun today! Hopefully we can get rid of Smith early tomorrow and the rest quickly follow. I don''t think my tickets to day 5 will be getting used...

[quote user="Herman "]Out in the field, sun on my back, radio on. And getting paid. Happy today.[/quote]What do you do for a living? It sounds idyllic!

Horticulture. It''s good at the moment, topiarising plants, but winter is a bitch. Especially this last one. Got to take the rough with the smooth.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Fair do''s - I don''t like cricket. [:(] 

[/quote]

I don''t like cricket oh no....

I love it [Y]

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]AshesWeren''t we supposed to walk thisBit of a shambles so far.[/quote]We are the stronger team.   The 10th wicket Aussie partnership (Agar was stumped for 6 but the 3rd umpire didn''t give it for reasons best known to himself) was fantastically painful viewing, like slow torture, but their middle order was blown away and that should give us plenty of confidence over the five match series.You can''t judge the outcome after 2 days of a 5 test series.I see the "glass half empty" approach you employ to such good effect with football transfers well to cricket...

Brilliant knock by the kid. Felt sorry for him to miss the ton.

Another good days cricket so far.

I''m quite happy with the dealings so far.Redmond, Olsson, Wolfswinkel and Garrido top signings.Fer is one of the most exciting signings we have ever pulled off (if we manage it)Most of what I post is sarcastic regarding the rumours, but not gonna lie, i don''t see why we should get carried away because some bloke on Twitter said something regarding a player who may or may not be linked with us.

[quote user="Herman "]Brilliant knock by the kid. Felt sorry for him to miss the ton.

Another good days cricket so far.[/quote]Already more drama in 2 days than in the whole of the 2 test "series" against NZ.Erasmus might be packing his bags, doubt he''ll be given 3rd umpiring duties again for a while after the Agar & Trott decisions.

I''ve only seen them on radio so far but the commentators were pretty adamant they were both out, although a glitch meant they only had one angle for Trott''s.

[quote user="Herman "]I''ve only seen them on radio so far but the commentators were pretty adamant they were both out, although a glitch meant they only had one angle for Trott''s.[/quote]Trott''s is inconclusive, there may have been a faint inside edge - or there may not - but without both angles, the benefit of doubt should have applied to Trott as it did earlier to Agar.The England team has asked the match referee for "clarification" on the Trott ruling, which is the polite way of saying "we want to lock Erasmus in a cupboard."

So the third umpire only had the angles that everyone else had?!

Lots of things to learn about this sport.

[quote user="Jan van Chopsburg"][quote user="Herman "]I''ve only seen them on radio so far but the commentators were pretty adamant they were both out, although a glitch meant they only had one angle for Trott''s.[/quote]Trott''s is inconclusive, there may have been a faint inside edge - or there may not - but without both angles, the benefit of doubt should have applied to Trott as it did earlier to Agar.The England team has asked the match referee for "clarification" on the Trott ruling, which is the polite way of saying "we want to lock Erasmus in a cupboard."[/quote]From my (Australian) point of view, I think he got the Agar stumping right, but the Trott decision wrong.For Agar, it was an umpire review, and the batsman had to get the benefit of the doubt. It was close, but not conclusive. However, Trott was given not out by the field umpire, and the player reviewed. For me, there was doubt as to if he hit it or not. Doubt means that there was not conclusive evidence to over turn the on field umpire.Great test so far. While I expect England to go on and win the series, as they have more runs ''in them'', I don''t think England are as good as the media have made them out to be, and I don''t think Australia are as bad as the media have made them out to be.I also wouldn''t rule out a draw in this game. I know that sounds odd when 22 wickets have gone in 2 days, but I just think this deck could go on to be a little benign, not keep very low, and get easy to bat on. The only thing that concerns me about that is Swann. The ball he got Hadden with today was class, and turned a lot.Oh, and to get the thread back on track. I quite like cricket. If anyone plays, and needs a handy middle-order batsman from time-to-time, let me know.

Now it''s the Aussies turn to be pissed off with bad umpiring. Brilliant.