Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

Wigan next week is the pivotal fixture

No fixture is more or less important to us. We need 6 points they can come from anywhere albeit i would not want to go into the man city game needing anything. The longer we go without a win then the more pressure builds on the remaining fixtures. Lose the next 2 and safety is still within reach  6pts from 6 games but nerves will satrt to creep in throughout the club. I actually thing the Stoke game is a big one as well they have been equally inept in front of goal as us

Lincoln, I do believe that you are prone to exaggeration, we are not playing that well at the moment but we are still getting points, that''s actually a sign of a pretty good team.

IMO, too many people on here have a difficulty with the difference between ''possibilities'' and ''probabilities''. It is ''possible'' that Wigan will get 22 points from their remaining matches, and that City will get none from theirs, but the ''probability'' of that is next to 0. Wigan have to play ManCity and Arsenal away and Spurs at home. They might get 1 point from those. That would mean they would have to win all of their other 7 matches to get 22 points. Not very probable, IMO.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

The realisation that our squad is pretty poor for premier league standards is resulting in most fans having no confidence. Every time we line up against another premier league team we are outclassed in every department. Bar maybe defensively. How can anyone have confidence when we know our midfield are never going to try and dominate and win a game, or that the chances of us scoring are next to nil?

We are probally the only side in the league who are capable of losing every game left. I don''t think we will but but hand on heart our team is weak enough for it to be a possibillity.

I''ve mentioned before we''ve got to get serious in the summer if we consolidate our premier league status.

[/quote]We all know you''re firmly in the '' glass bone dry '' camp lincoln but there''s a bit of a contradiction here.It''ll spoil your chortling if we do go down but admitting we''re OK defensively - maybe - surely means you think we''re going to cobble together enough points to be playing Premier League football next term ?

This board is full of frickin loonies.

For starters, people do realise that QPR and Reading would have to win 4 of their remaining 8 games to leapfrog us and them we would literally have to lose everything we have left. Form, neither team is capable of.

Secondly, Wigan are really the ONLY team who could send us down, and they have 10 games left. Downloads posted:They would need to win 4 minimum too, which would be a massive increase on their current season. Even in our current poor run we''ll pick up a minimum of say 4 or 5 points, which means they will need to win half their games.

So could the drama just wait like another 6 games before we start sobbing over nothing. The only reason I ask is that there is 2 months to go and I worry about some of your''s healths.

Far too much logic in that post Downloads for most of our fellow canaries on here!

Hmmmm, I still suggest that the Wigan game will be highly infuential in the final shakedown. Win, lose or draw, each scenario has ramifications.

Having watched todays Wigan game I''m more worried about the potential for injury to key players, the obvious tackle wasn''t the only act of abject thuggery on display today.

regardless of whether any of the other results go in our favour or not in the next round of matches, the only certainty is that if we lose at Wigan we will be 4 points off relegation , that will be the closest its been since September last year........the only question being how many teams would be between us and the bottom 3?.........a nervous fortnight ahead awaits.

Some of you must lead rather sad existences; worrying if the next turn you make will lead to falling down a bottomless pit. The paranoia is remarkable.

Lincoln, if we lose our 8 remaining games it would be an 80% increase on our season so far.......come on, I mean honestly, do you seriously, SERIOUSLY, see that happening?

Top post Downloads.

I see Wigan as certainties to stay up....again; and in that respect I''m less concerned for next weeks game as a ''them or us'' than I was for today''s.

Looking at the fixtures of all the other worried sides they are all up against it and the Wigan game has become another ''don''t lose.'' That said, like today, the best way to defend is to offer offensive threat.

We only need a big win and were on course to get it today and the whole scene will transform. Beat Wigan and that will happen; draw and we will be happy too I predict.

Forget QPR and Reading but don''t forget here are three relegation places and with Wigan and Villa playing well in my mind this means one of the pack above suffering a poor run and a free fall. After today, and with their upcoming fixtures that looks like Sunderland.

Agree with everything you say Rude Old boy except your assumption that Villa are playing well and thus safe. last week against Reading, Villa were not good, just the second worst side on the pitch, QPR can count themselves mugged yesterday. I still see Villa well and truly in the mix up and needing something at Wigan on the final day.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]But Villa and QPR look likely that they can score - the key attribute that we''ll keep them up.[/quote]LOL Yep well QPR scored two yesterday didn''t they......... Villa have scored against the two worst teams in the division, next up Liverpool still to come Manc utd and Chelsea

We only need 4 more points really. I can see a home win somewhere along the line against Swansea or West brom and 1 more point home or away should do it. Wigan might go on a good run like they normally do, they might beat us but their game in hand is at Man city so you can right that off. That would still put them 4 points behind us a and if you look at their fixtures they''ve got to play 4 away games in a row after that which wont be easy and they could be distracted by a possible FA cup final. Then there H spurs A west brom H swansea A arsenal H villa cant see anymore that 6 points there and if you look at our home games. Reading, Swansea, West brom, Villa, i should imagine we will win atleast one of them. I really can''t see them catching us.