Sign in to follow this  
henrik

Time for a go at 4-3-3?

I''d go for:                           BunnWhittaker  Turner   Bassong   Garrido              Johnson    Tettey                     SnodgrassKamara         Becchio      Holt

Tactically i''d like to see the middle bank of three favouring which ever flank we are attacking/defending and my instruction to Snodgrass would be to get the crosses in for the three big guys up front as early as possible. Those three in the air would be a struggle for any team, even Swansalona! Attack attack attack. Its the only way. If we get a 2 goal lead, then we can switch back to our conservative selves, but the bottom line is if we don''t look to score goals we won''t win games, and if we don''t win games its off to the likes of Ipswich we go next season. Simple!

I think if kk had been fit we would have seen him in the wide role, interesting that after 2months he is not up to speed.

I agree though it could be good but I would change your formation a wee bit for defensive cover from a team from Swansea who will keep possession.

Bunn

Martin turner bassong garrido

Whittaker tettey Johnson

Snodgrass becchio kk

Interesting one as holty would be good as the central striker but kk can beat anyone in the air and why not target the full back. The energy that Whittaker, tettey, snoddy and kk would have the energy to really join the attack.

I can easily see a two man front, either way we need our best players in our team right now.

You''d play 3 in midfield and basically surrender that area of the pitch against the team that keeps the ball better than just about any other team in the league? We wouldn''t get a kick.

We''ve had success against Swansea in the past by defending high up the pitch and not allowing them the time on the ball to control the game. I''d be amazed if we don''t go 5 in midfield and attempt the same tactic.

[quote user="smooth"]I think if kk had been fit we would have seen him in the wide role, interesting that after 2months he is not up to speed. I agree though it could be good but I would change your formation a wee bit for defensive cover from a team from Swansea who will keep possession. Bunn Martin turner bassong garrido Whittaker tettey Johnson Snodgrass becchio kk Interesting one as holty would be good as the central striker but kk can beat anyone in the air and why not target the full back. The energy that Whittaker, tettey, snoddy and kk would have the energy to really join the attack. I can easily see a two man front, either way we need our best players in our team right now.[/quote]

Looks disjointed to me. Three up front and nobody to unlock the door or link play. Wes and Holty need to start.

Horse definitely needs to start. The stage is set for another one of his pantomime villain routines, the Swans hate him an he''ll thrive off it.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]I''d like to see Wes played behind Kei and Holt (maybe not v Swansea but in one home game).

It wont happen though as no way will we play 3 central midfielders behind the front 3!

[/quote]

I think we could play that. Unless Pilkington''s fit we''re struggling to fill the left side anyway. Hasn''t Johnson played left before?

Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido

Snodgrass Tettey Johnson

Hoolahan

Kamara Holt

???

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]I''d like to see Wes played behind Kei and Holt (maybe not v Swansea but in one home game).It wont happen though as no way will we play 3 central midfielders behind the front 3!

[/quote]

I think we could play that. Unless Pilkington''s fit we''re struggling to fill the left side anyway. Hasn''t Johnson played left before?

Whittaker Bassong Turner Garrido

Snodgrass Tettey Johnson

Hoolahan

Kamara Holt

???

[/quote]

Good point Nutty. I think Snod could fit into a central midfield 3. Of course he''d inevitably drift out wide and push up but that would be an exciting formation to play.

And you''re definitely right r.e Bradley Johnson. I''ve definitely been at away games this season where he''s played on the left. Cant for the life of me remember which games. Chelsea I think?!

I think we''ve lost the game in the middle of the park all too often to consider switching to 3 midfielders.Unless by 4-3-3 you actually mean 4-5-1 in which case you''re Chris Hughton anyway.

A diamond anyone? [;)]                 BunnMartin Turner Bassong Garrido                  Tettey          Snoddy Johnson                   Wes          Holt KamaraId love to see 2 up top to nullify Swansea building from the back. We have beaten them recently by playing a high pressing game and not letting them settle. More so under PL. I can see CH setting up 451, trying to soak up pressure and hit them on the break with our abundance of pace.I just wish he was more versatile than he currently is. We never seem to stamp our game on anyone.

Not sure about Tettey at the base of a diamond but that''s the same team I posted and it has potential for other formations. If diamond I''d definitely play Whittaker in place of Martin. From what I''ve seen he drives forward more.

Good thread though. A breath of fresh air today..

Bunn

Martin  Turner  Bassong  Garrido

Tettey  Johnson

Whitaker                           Snodgrass 

Hoolahan

Holt

This ^ vs Swansea = Victory

Just think with Tetteys match fitness he may be better sitting and keeping it simple. Jonno would add some balance with his left peg. But either way they can change.I agree with Whittaker, but i dont think Cafu has done anything to get dropped.For me (i said it elsewhere) im not convinced by Tettey. His first 5/6 games were good and since hes been poor. Not been able to keep the ball and positionally, drifting. I just wish we had some class in that area. Im worried CH will go with the "infamous" 2 holding defensive players (johnson & tettey) sitting on top of the back 4. The midfield then sit too deep and the forward is isolated. PLEASE CHRIS, LET THEM LOOSE! ITS IN OUR OWN HANDS! MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Or 352?

Bunn

Martin turner bassong

Tettey Johnson

Snodgrass. Wes. Pilkington

Holt. Kamara

I would like to see Fox in because he can provide the passing distribution from central midfield that we have been missing.  Bring Tettey on after 60/70 minutes because Fox will probably run out of steam due to lack of games.  Pilks might also be an option off the bench if fit don''t see Hughton starting him after injury.  Holt shades it over KK because he has scored several goals against Swansea in the past & he would be a real pain, they hate him!!  KK option for Holt off the bench.                    Bunn

Martin  Turner  Bassong  Garrido

Fox  Johnson

Whitaker                        Snodgrass 

Hoolahan

Holt

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Or 352? Bunn Martin turner bassong Tettey Johnson Snodgrass. Wes. Pilkington Holt. Kamara[/quote]

I think we''ve said this before Zip. We now do have the personnel to play three at the back. Lambert tried it a couple of times but had to ditch it before halftime. But I think it''s probably too much of a change at this stage in the season.

If Pilks is fit then I''d be tempted with the tried and tested team that did so well earlier in the season. Snodgrass/Whittaker and  Pilkington/Garrido are good combinations for me. It''s not CUSDP''s diamond but with fullbacks pushing on it''s possible for either Snodgrass or Pilkington to cut inside to more central areas. I always thought Lambert would end up playing this system. I remember reading that Hitzfeld used it a a kind of alternative diamond.

Still a good thread[Y]

I have thought for some time that 4-3-3 could be the answer, and it is played by several of the leading clubs.

It could work, if we had something like this:

Martin, Turner, Bassong, Garrido

Whittaker, Tettey, Johnson

Snodgrass, KK/Holt/Becchio, Pilks

In so doing , the midfield would be less narrow and more numerous defensively, and I think stronger. It would enable all three to get forward when possible, and shoot. The front three would have less need to track back, - an energy drain, and their presence upfield would require the presence of extra opposing defenders. It would also mean that on each side we have a widish midfielder and also a winger, which enables them to interact. More importantly it  would make it more difficult for opponents to make progress down the wings.

I''m sure that others will see some disadvantges, - that we lack the personnel, that CH is too wedded to his formation or that we are more exposed down the centre, etc. There may be some truth in some of these, but the formation doesn''t weaken the defence and it does give the wingers more scope.

If Pilks is still injured, or not ready, then there seems no alternative to KK playing wide on the left, where he could run defenders into the ground for 60 minutes, before being replaced by Benno or somebody else.