Sign in to follow this  
Shankslad

Don't mention the war.............

Talk about "Don''t mention the war" I''ve just spent the day at Aston Villa - but before anyone starts chucking rotten vegetables at me let me explain I was there for a conference!!

Then I was taken on a tour of Villa Park and learned that it''s best not to mention Paul Lambert............ they don''t like it up ''em y''know, they don''t like it up ''em!!!   He doesn''t appear too popular just now, certainly not with the people I met.   I don''t think it''s just the football either, I think they find him a bit .....er..........er.......... shall we say a bit brash in his manner.   Of course I made sure they noticed the Norwich City tie I was wearing and pointing to the badge on it I informed them I''d come to collect the money!!!

I also made the following casual observation to them that  they are owned by an American billionaire and sit in the bottom three whilst Norwich City are comfortable mid-table and are owned by a bleedin'' cook!!!   I know it''s wrong but sometimes it''s nice to gloat!

Actually the tour was very interesting and the Villa staff were excellent.

[quote user="Metal Militia"]

I really like Paul Lambert, top manager who did very well for us.

[/quote]

I''m really pleased for you.

The last stadium tour I did was Liverpool. That was great fun, and the ground staff there were fantastic.

I was really impressed with the two lasses that took us on the tour. I would say early to mid 20''s and quite knowledgeable for scousers.

I was incredibly impressed when they made a big deal about Goss being the last player to score in front of the standing Kopp.

It was like heaven leaking out of silky clouds, for a moment I was mesmerised . . . .

That tour was very good.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Neither is Delia bein'' a bleedin'' cook[;)]

[/quote]

She is a presenter, quite a different thing

The Villa ground is quite impressive though the conference suite had these massive great iron girders going over the ceiling. I managed to blag myself onto the touchline but no further as some ''mate'' appeared and ushered me up back upstairs.

Thanks Shankslad, an interesting post. I’ve been on three non NCFC ground tours over the years, two of these were as an opposition fan on match day. On each occasion I found the club staff great value and happy to talk abut their own club, even more so to an interested away fan!

And funny you should say that about Lambert at Villa as that’s what I heard from a friend of a friend who was at Villa Park earlier in the season.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Neither is Delia bein'' a bleedin'' cook[;)]

[/quote]

She is a presenter, quite a different thing

[/quote]

No, she is a cook, or chef if you prefer. It is true she presented her own cooking programmes but her main role, her raison d''etre for being on TV, was as cook and not presenter.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]Thanks Shankslad, an interesting post. I’ve been on three non NCFC ground tours over the years, two of these were as an opposition fan on match day. On each occasion I found the club staff great value and happy to talk abut their own club, even more so to an interested away fan! And funny you should say that about Lambert at Villa as that’s what I heard from a friend of a friend who was at Villa Park earlier in the season.[/quote]

You don''t have to go to Villa Park to hear how "brash" PL was. Have a quiet word with some of the Colney staff....

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Ah GPB! You''ve thrown the line out, and I''m having the first nibble. I don''t know any of the Colney staff, so can you elaborate.............?[/quote]

I don''t think it is a big secret Crabby, in my former days I was an Academy Scout that attended Colney quite alot. I still have a few friends there, and it seemed quite general that PL could be a bit sharp. Personally on the few times I met him he was fine, but I think going man for man on Zidane in a Champions League final suggests a certain single mindedness [:)]

[quote user="Zak Burger"]I  trust you asked them if the Holte end was named after Grant?[/quote]

Apparently named after their first owner  - a Scotsman.   As was their first manager initiating long standing and strong ties with Scotland which is why they have the Scottish Lion Rampant on their badge

So for all intents and purposes they can historically be considered a scottish team!   If things go really bad for them they could always get themselves elected to the Scottish 2nd Division.    No!   That''s unfair!!   They could take the place of Rangers in the SPL as they''re both big clubs!

[quote user="Graham Paddon''s Beard"]

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Ah GPB! You''ve thrown the line out, and I''m having the first nibble. I don''t know any of the Colney staff, so can you elaborate.............?[/quote]

I don''t think it is a big secret Crabby, in my former days I was an Academy Scout that attended Colney quite alot. I still have a few friends there, and it seemed quite general that PL could be a bit sharp. Personally on the few times I met him he was fine, but I think going man for man on Zidane in a Champions League final suggests a certain single mindedness [:)

Oh I see, thanks for  that.I did always think that someone who took  himself off to a foreign country, with no contacts/family etc did display certain characteristics.

Grant Holt''s 3 year contract:    "How did they react when you mentioned the famous Norwich City? "

They were actually very friendly, repectful and complimentary.   They seemed resigned to accepting that before it can get better it may have to get worse in order shed the big wage earners who aren''t even warming the bench, before a proper building job can be done.   Young regulars are becoming increasingly resentful at the amount some non regulars are paid for doing little

I think more than ever they now appreciate the significance of Norwich''s achievment from Lg 1 to PL and the position and prospects now.   They said it''s hard to imagine now that Holt and Hoolahan were actually playing in league 1 before the arrival of PL.   

[quote user="Shankslad"]

[quote user="Zak Burger"]I  trust you asked them if the Holte end was named after Grant?[/quote]

Apparently named after their first owner  - a Scotsman.   As was their first manager initiating long standing and strong ties with Scotland which is why they have the Scottish Lion Rampant on their badge

So for all intents and purposes they can historically be considered a scottish team! 

[/quote]Reminds me of the team from a small village in Suffolk, they have long standing ties with the Cockerneys which is why they have a Pony on their badge. [;)]

Seriously though I can see a number of clubs who will have to accept that they''re in such a mess that to go forwards they might first have to go backwards, Villa are at that stage now as are imo QPR. Could it be that some of these big clubs and any number of Championship clubs are going to have to aspire to follow the "Norwich model"?

I''ve only ever done tours of stadiums of other sports. Did Madison Square Garden, and Petco Park in San Diego. Was interesting seeing the setup for other sports. Ooooh, I did the the tour at Old Wembley actually with my U14''s football team at the time.

Nou Camp is well worth a visit if you get the chance, stadium is massive but looks and feels its age, the museum is amazing though.