Sign in to follow this  
Stig

"Reasonably priced striker"

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]Without the contracts being mentioned (and they won''t) I have no point of reference and so the flat figure of £8m is all I have to go on. Whether that includes a contract in that figure or whether a contract would extend that to £10mil+ I have no idea... On face value all I can assume is Hughton might have meant he doesn''t have the money or doesn''t want to spend that much + a contract on someone. Do I really have to be so precise? :[[/quote]

Hughton has a player budget which is the maximum the club can afford. This budget has been maximised by price increases in the stadium and putting out the begging bowl to get him some of the money the club are committed to pay for the category one academy. This player budget includes transfer fees and wages for the whole squad. He could free up more money by selling players or letting some go to save the wages. there is no more money. I don''t think there''s any law to say he can''t spend 8m if he''s got it, and the subsequent contract, in that pot.

Nutty has it spot on here.  A transfer fee of up to £7/8m isn''t the issue here.  What is the issue is that we cannot simply put the clubs future in jeopardy by signing players on £70k - £100k a week contracts, in the circumstances we are currently operating under.

£70k a week over 3 years and you''re looking at £11m, add in the transfer fee and costs, agents fees etc and you''ll be at £20m.  In effect that player is costing you c. £7m a year for each of those 3 years.

We have no idea what the player budget allows us to spend on weekly wages. We are continually told that all spare money is going into the player budget and I have no reason to disbelieve that.  Lappin leaving frees up a bit in wages as do any others that leave or are sold.  If we sign a striker for £3m we could possibly offer him a bit more in weekly wages(if required) than if we signed a striker for £7m.  That £4m difference equates to £25,000 a week over 3 years.  However, I don''t think we''d spend £25k extra a week on top of our highest earners, even though we are told that there is no wage cap, as that could and in fact most certainly would open up another can of worms with regards to existing players and potential new signings.

Also look at from this perspective.  Get a striker on the cheap for £1m like this French bloke and offer him a bumper contract of £60,000 a week.  How long will the other first teamers stay happy earning between £15,000 and £30,000? 

I missed the part where anyone suggested Hooper or Graham being on such astronomical wages. QPR can do such a thing because they are pants-on-head retarded and have no forethought for their future. We however do, and so would assume that we would offer a higher bid and a level wage in respect to our squad...

Because that would be common sense, and what we''ve always done as a club.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]I missed the part where anyone suggested Hooper or Graham being on such astronomical wages. QPR can do such a thing because they are pants-on-head retarded and have no forethought for their future. We however do, and so would assume that we would offer a higher bid and a level wage in respect to our squad... Because that would be common sense, and what we''ve always done as a club.[/quote]

Stig..

What are you going on about?

Does anyone actually believe we have made not one but two 5 million pound bids? We may have bid, but no way have we started at 5 million. Been a Norwich City too long to believe that, I believe we will get neither of those, Graham too Sunderland and Hooper will stay at Celtic, but if we do it will be for about 5 million max. When Lennon stated a bid had been made but nowhere near Celtics valuation it probably meant we bid about 3 million.

[quote user="Aveit"]Does anyone actually believe we have made not one but two 5 million pound bids? We may have bid, but no way have we started at 5 million. Been a Norwich City too long to believe that, I believe we will get neither of those, Graham too Sunderland and Hooper will stay at Celtic, but if we do it will be for about 5 million max. When Lennon stated a bid had been made but nowhere near Celtics valuation it probably meant we bid about 3 million.[/quote]

Well 5m isn''t a lot of money for a prem club to pay for a striker in 2013 is it? What was the premier league income in 2004/5 when we bought Ashton? Are you seriously telling me this board is less ambitious than we were then? Because surely we have more money available than they did.

Hughton said: "We want to bring in more attacking options, but people don''t understand how difficult it is.

"I see QPR spending big money and bringing in Loic Remy and that''s where they are and what they are able to do.

"There are a group of clubs able to do that. We have to do things our way.

"We need a player who is going to benefit what we are about and we will keep going right the way through but it''s never easy."

From the first page, just for you Mr.Chops. To get to the conclusion of "reasonably priced striker" I would think Sky assumed the comment of "There are a group of clubs able to do that. We have to do things our way. -" meant he wouldn''t want to pay an initial fee to a club of £8mil which was the rumoured price for Remy Loic. So sky slapped the article with the name "Reasonably priced striker" because anything under £8mil has to be reasonable.

That''s my guess anyway, y''know how these sites are... making stories out of such small comments and all.

And the "spending big money" is NOT just the transfer fee, it''s the wages, agents fees, other costs too.  It''s a total cost to the club of signing said player, and will be looked at in that way.

Comprende?[:^)]

Yeah I get that and all, but what Sky spoke about on the article was a comparison to Loic Remy, and the figure I heard for him was £8mil and that was my ONLY point of reference and the rumoured fee for Hooper was £8mil so I came to the only conclusion I could with those figures. What a kerfuffle! Yes Loic is probably going to cost QPR way more than the initial £8mil for his actual transfer.

Unfortunately, our bargaining position is weak as it is obvious for all to see that Norwich desperately need support for Holt. Hence, we shall have to pay the market premium demanded by our weak position. Not to do so risks the future income from the new TV contract. I''m sure the board can see this.

Wages for Remy were reported in other media and Hughton will know that and also fees and wages for other QPR players have been reported widely over the past year or so.  Hughton will therefore know, as most followers of football do, that QPR have been splashing the cash and will not just have based his comments on what was reported in the article, which as you say, was only the transfer fee for Remy.

Remy''s deal will end up costing them in the region of 25.5 million.  
While I don''t believe we will spend  that much on 1 player, we could sign both Graham and Hooper on £30,000 a week for 3 years for 8 million each and still not spend that much in total.
So I''m not that worried by not spending that much in total.

Don''t forget the demands players can lay down in regards to selection etc.

As we''re only playing with one striker, Danny Graham isn''t going to join to sit on the bench. And Let''s be honest, if Hooper was to join it would be to put himself in the shop window further down the road. So again, not one who wants to sit on the bench.

It obvious to me that hughton is not alluding to the £8m fee but the whole package.    Including wages etc the cost of signing remys contract is in excess of £27m.    I am sure that we are not looking at a complete package for Hooper of more than £10-12m.      That is more reasonably priced.

Makes you see why bosmans earn more - a three year deal for pogrebnyak on his reputed but denied wages is c£10m,    take a transfer fee off that and his salary wouldhave to drop significantly for him to be an attractive signing.  Its why players like to let their contracts run down.