Sign in to follow this  
Martin Bryant

Good Norwich Pubs

Hi all. Ive been a few times but always struggle to find decent pubs for after the match... can anyone suggest where the busy areas of Norwich are?

was planning to stay with a group of friends at Holiday Inn Duke Street. Is this central?! :-P

[quote user="Martin Bryant"]Hi all. Ive been a few times but always struggle to find decent pubs for after the match... can anyone suggest where the busy areas of Norwich are? was planning to stay with a group of friends at Holiday Inn Duke Street. Is this central?! :-P[/quote]

Very central and within walking distance to a whole spectrum of pubs - whether you like real ale pubs or something else.  Enjoy your stay!

thanks! real ale and general lager will all do! previously have gone out round the stadium then jumped in a taxi and never remember where we go!

hopefully can just wander round the hotel area then ;)

Golden Star and St Andrews Tavern (both decent real ale pubs) within 100m of your hotel.  Also nearby ''Delaneys'' (more of a sports bar) and the bar at The Playhouse Theatre is good (more of a student hangout).  The more salubrious areas of Norwich are within 10 mins walk of your hotel (e.g. Prince of Wales Road etc etc)

Just a word of warning Martin, if you are not already bracing yourself for it - stand by for a post or two from trolls questioning your visit this particular weekend.

If you can retain the moral high ground, and tell them to poke off, then you will be doing us all a favour.

Hop eyou enjoy your weekend

At the top of Duke Street is a great pub called The Rumsey Wells. We used to go there after every game a few seasons ago. Good ales, good lagers, and they do amazing food including locally sourced bangers that are fantastic.

If you go up to the top of Duke Street (with The Rumsey in front of you) and turn right, you''re on St. Benedicts. About halfway down St. Benedicts is another great little pub called The Plough. It''s pretty small though but has a great beer garden so is more of a summer pub but worth popping in.

Then about 100 yards up the road from The Plough you have The X Bells (Was Ten before they got a posh sign) which is now a whisky pub I believe but I don''t drink it so not sure what''s on offer. Quirky little pub that normally has a really nice atmosphere.

There''s bigger (arguably nicer) pubs around Norwich but in the vicinity of your hotel you have three real gooduns!

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

Golden Star and St Andrews Tavern (both decent real ale pubs) within 100m of your hotel.  Also nearby ''Delaneys'' (more of a sports bar) and the bar at The Playhouse Theatre is good (more of a student hangout).  The more salubrious areas of Norwich are within 10 mins walk of your hotel (e.g. Prince of Wales Road etc etc)

[/quote]

How on Earth did I forget The Golden Star Lord Horn? That''s right next to the hotel Martin. What a cracking pub that is. The St. Andrews Tavern that Lord Horn mentions is The Rumsey Wells I mentioned in my post.

In the late 80s/early 90s I produced a mini pub guide for visiting fans in conjunction with the ''Never Mind the Danger'' Fanzine.  Glad to say that some of those pubs are still thriving today! [B][B][B]

hahah thanks - i should have said we are coming up for Norwich Wigan 15th December- is becoming a yearly thing- up from Tunbridge Wells for a winter game where I can easily get 7 or 8 tickets.. saw Bolton back in Feb :)

Im gonna google earth all them pubs! thanks for the tips... can picture a nice pub crawl ending up in the whisky place and regretting it in the morning!!

[quote user="Martin Bryant"]hahah thanks - i should have said we are coming up for Norwich Wigan 15th December- is becoming a yearly thing- up from Tunbridge Wells for a winter game where I can easily get 7 or 8 tickets.. saw Bolton back in Feb :) Im gonna google earth all them pubs! thanks for the tips... can picture a nice pub crawl ending up in the whisky place and regretting it in the morning!![/quote]

"What you can''t remember, you can''t regret!" (Quote - one of mine)

[quote user="E.L.F."]The Coach and Horses on Thorpe Road.  Chalk Hill Brewery located on site, great stuff.[/quote]

cheers.. looks good, i guess kinda in the wrong direction after the game when heading back to hotel direction... but all i know now is i want a beer!

Martin - on your way back to the hotel suggest you take in the Ribs of Beef on Wensum Street, after that go over the river turn left into Colegate and the Golden Star is at the far end opposite your hotel.

Two of my favourite haunts for before/after match real ale is the Maid''s Head bar (opposite the Cathedral) and the Adam and Eve - the oldest pub in Norwich - that also does good food.    There is a car park next to the Adam & Eve where you can park for the match, with a 10 minute walk along the river path towards the Stadium. 

golden star looks a good bet!

im thinking rumsey arms and pubs on route to the game.. back to hotel and then head off in the golden star direction!

mmmmm ribs....! although they say eating is cheating... i usually survive on a cup of bovril mid game!

Golden star is a great pub- another great one about three minutes walk away is the White Lion on oak st. It`s a little hard to find (probably best ask directions in the Star), but well worth it.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Golden star is a great pub- another great one about three minutes walk away is the White Lion on oak st. It`s a little hard to find (probably best ask directions in the Star), but well worth it.[/quote]

Nice to see you Mr. Carrow[Y]

I hope there''s no truth in the rumour that you''d gone into administration[;)]

I think it''s great to see fans who don''t make it to games very often really making a special effort to get to games like Man Utd. Have a great day Martin and I hope you find plenty of great pubs around Carrow Road stadium! Yellow Army!

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]I think it''s great to see fans who don''t make it to games very often really making a special effort to get to games like Man Utd. Have a great day Martin and I hope you find plenty of great pubs around Carrow Road stadium! Yellow Army![/quote]

Major fail Arsekin!

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]I think it''s great to see fans who don''t make it to games very often really making a special effort to get to games like Man Utd. Have a great day Martin and I hope you find plenty of great pubs around Carrow Road stadium! Yellow Army![/quote] 

Strike one!

Even better news that you''re coming to an unglamourous game - if there is even such a thing in the fabulous world of premiership football - Martin!  As for pubs, you and your mates might like to try  the Castle at the bottom of Ketts Hill. I''m sure you''ll get a warm welcome!

Mungo

Other decent pubs you might like to try are the Doghouse (just down the road from Delaney''s), and I also recommend the Woolpack on Golden Ball Street (close to the Castle Mall) too, it''s one of my favourite pubs and does decent food if you so desire.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]As for pubs, you and your mates might like to try  the Castle at the bottom of Ketts Hill. I''m sure you''ll get a warm welcome![/quote]If that''s the sort of pub you''re after Mingeo, Team Fanny Magnet highly recomend the Catherine Wheel in St. Augustines.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

As for pubs, you and your mates might like to try  the Castle at the bottom of Ketts Hill. I''m sure you''ll get a warm welcome!

Mungo

[/quote]

You shouldn''t tell them where our local is, Mungo, our secret will be out..........................why our surname is  BUMpkin

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]As for pubs, you and your mates might like to try  the Castle at the bottom of Ketts Hill. I''m sure you''ll get a warm welcome![/quote]

If that''s the sort of pub you''re after Mingeo, Team Fanny Magnet highly recomend the Catherine Wheel in St. Augustines.

[/quote]

Team Fanny Magnet has always embraced diversity Lappinitup.