Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Norwich vs Sunderland match thread

Doesn''t matter how many attempts you''ve had if you don''t score.

We are also very good at not shooting even when we get the ball into great areas. Either play it around too much, or putting in a rubbish final ball in a good position...

And we hang on in there!

Michael Bailey said something along these lines on Twitter, we were better in the second half than they were in the first.

One or two moments of luck keeping us in there, Kilgallon really should have scored. They had a few good opportunities, but wasted plenty. And we were good enough in defence to keep them out.

Did well to get the 2 goal lead. Shame we couldn''t attack as often with the same potency in the second half, but still we had a few opportunities.

Still worried about Holt not scoring. Some better set pieces today as well, we always look dangerous when the service is good.

Another massive home result! And another game unbeaten. The lads really have been working hard, and they''re getting what they deserve. Table is looking much nicer after those 3 points!

That 2nd half was dire and hard to watch, Sunderland unlucky to go away with nothing.But NCFC 12th in the league and 7 points from safety, I am well happy with that =)

I think the boys defended fantastically throughout (Gardner goal aside). Some credit has to go to Hughton for that as well. With Sunderland scoring on the stroke of half time, he obviously knows the momentum is with them and has made the focus of the second have to soak up the pressure and catch them on the break.

Sunderland played decent stuff in the second half, Larsson, Sessegnon and Gardner are all good players who can produce the goods even in their current state of form. Bassong and Bennett were colossal for us at the back though - outstanding performance from those two.

Very poor again? Hmm...

On another topic, anyone think Martin O''Neil will get the sack?

They really should have got something from that game, they didn''t. Its been like that often for them, they just aren''t playing as well as they can often enough, and when they do they aren''t scoring enough goals. They need something to change or they will be hard pushed to stay up. I can see more positives in Southampton & Villas team. Even QPR could turn it around with Redknapp, although it will be a very tough job to keep them down.

At the moment Sunderland just don''t look like they have the belief in themselves, and that second half won''t have helped.

People judge Holt because he isn''t scoring, ok he is a striker you expect him to score. But he never stops running and trying, also he has been good at defending too.Again in this game Holt work rate was great.

Lets not forget how much Holt does for the team, he tracks just as much as Rooney was highlighted as doing on MOTD last night. He also creates a lot of chances for others.

On top of that, during set pieces, watch him closely. Sometimes he pulls one or two defenders away from where the ball is going, and he is always a threat.

Who cares if he isn''t scoring when we''re still winning? It''s a team effort, and he''s well and truly part of that!

[quote user="ImDrunky"]That 2nd half was dire and hard to watch, Sunderland unlucky to go away with nothing.But NCFC 12th in the league and 7 points from safety, I am well happy with that =) [/quote]

7 points from safety? I must be looking at a different table!!!!! Great win!!!!!!! OTBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It''s not about the goals and I''m not saying he''s not working. I''m saying that at present he has the first touch of an elephant and looks low on confidence in front of goal.

[quote user="super canary"][quote user="ImDrunky"]That 2nd half was dire and hard to watch, Sunderland unlucky to go away with nothing.But NCFC 12th in the league and 7 points from safety, I am well happy with that =) [/quote]

7 points from safety? I must be looking at a different table!!!!! Great win!!!!!!! OTBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]lol my mistake.

Holts defensive work impressed me a lot today.

Unfortunately as a striker he is going to be judged primarily on his attacking play.

not really sure what the solution is though, replace him with jackson or morison and we risk losing the defensive side he brings.

just back from the game

good points -

we won

dominated first half scored 2 goals and not relying on holt like last season

played passing football in the first half

9 games unbeaten

2 good saves from bunn to keep us in the game in the 2nd half

bad points-

bunn should have done better for the goal, which came just before the end of the 1st half

bradley johnson looked like last season, though did pass a rather hopeful ball to pilkington for his goal (though didn''t need to do that everytime he got the ball)

holt isn''t scoring as much as last season (though did put a good shift in which is more important)

poor 2nd half and were lucky not to be 3-2 down by the end

Anyway another 3 points..............erm...........get in there.   12th in the league

What is with this Johnson bashing today?

As you may know i''m a big Johnson fan, so pay close attention to him. He lost the ball about 3 times, never in a dangerous area, won the ball back plenty. Covered Garrido a number of times when he went forward. Got an assist, also played another great ball forward for Pilks. General passing was good enough. Didn''t have any wayward shots. What more do people expect?

general passing was good enough? I don''t like your idea of what is good enough for norwich. His passing was like last season today, but again like last season put in a few good challenges.

Don''t want to be too negative as we had a great first half and got the 3 points

His passing wasn''t bad... Are you sure you were watching Brad and not Adam?

Whoever knows where to find the stats, could someone provide his passing stats again. Because after being accused of rubbish passing on Wednesday night, someone provided the stats to show he was the 3rd most successful passer of the ball on our team... And i''d suspect similar from today.

He''s one of those players, that when he does a couple of things wrong people notice it, and don''t notice the good work he does. Hoolahan was like it for a long time, still is for some. Morison as well. Doc was a classic example of this, some people couldn''t see any good in what he did.

Those Holt bashing should look at the whole game.   Why did so many managers pick Heskey in their teams - because they recognised his value to the team - not just for goals.   At the moment that is Holt.    Kevin Davies was not prolific at the top level, but was first on the team sheet.   That is Holt.

We know Holt can score - will score - you don''t just lose the ability - the service has to be better imo.  

[quote user="Gingerpele"] Because after being accused of rubbish passing on Wednesday night, someone provided the stats to show he was the 3rd most successful passer of the ball on our team... [/quote]

nearly but not quite GP - he completed the 3rd highest number of passes but of the midfielders also incompleted the most,  so had the lowest pass completion rate, below 75%.  Not great, when   Tettey is highlighting what can be done in that position (more passes tried and v high completed rate) and most of BJs completed passes are short and sideways.  His technical deficiencies were highlight around the 60 min mark when he overhit a 5 yard pass to pilks on the edge of the box so it went out of play and we lost a very promising position.

Not sure where the stats come from though.

We won,  thats what matters and BJ contributed to that.   Would love to have better than BJ but in that role we dont current have that player at the club so we have to stick with him.   Perhaps come Jan or July that may change..

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"] Because after being accused of rubbish passing on Wednesday night, someone provided the stats to show he was the 3rd most successful passer of the ball on our team... [/quote]

nearly but not quite GP - he completed the 3rd highest number of passes but of the midfielders also incompleted the most,  so had the lowest pass completion rate, below 75%.  Not great, when   Tettey is highlighting what can be done in that position (more passes tried and v high completed rate) and most of BJs completed passes are short and sideways.  His technical deficiencies were highlight around the 60 min mark when he overhit a 5 yard pass to pilks on the edge of the box so it went out of play and we lost a very promising position.

Not sure where the stats come from though.

We won,  thats what matters and BJ contributed to that.   Would love to have better than BJ but in that role we dont current have that player at the club so we have to stick with him.   Perhaps come Jan or July that may change..

[/quote]

It is hard to take him out of the starting 11 simply because of his improvement from last year and his ablity to break up gameplay. Although he didn''t have a great game today, i think it''s best not to change a winning team, however, i think fox should have replaced him in the last 20 minutes today to make sure we keep the ball.