Unfortunately I was unable to watch the game yesterday and have only seen the highlights on MOTD, how did Howson get on? He''s a player who I like and though showed real promise at the end of the last season. He didn''t seem to carry on where he left off at the end of last season which was a shame and then Tettey came in and has been great ever since. Short of Howson playing behind Holt at the expense of Hoolahan I don''t really see where he sits at the moment?

Thoughts on a postcard...

Was''nt at the game but watched it. He seemed to do alright, cracking effort against the post. Solid, but we missed Tetey :) I think Howson is one for the future.

Solid, but goes missing in games if I''m honest. His passing is great though, but can''t help thinking he''ll be all the more effective in that Hoolahan role in years to come.

Did nothing wrong, but can''t see him displacing anyone in the side at the moment

It''ll be interesting to see what happens when Tettey is fit. I quite like the idea of Howson and Hoolahan on the pitch together. Guess Howson for Tetts it''s sacrificing steel for guile. Swansea is probably one game where you might do that.

[quote user="York Canary"]Was it Howson or Hoolahoop who chipped through to Johnson when he hit the bar? (how sweet a goal that would have been!!)[/quote]Snodgraas

Haha even better.. completely wrong guess! Beautiful. Good to see the former Leeds boys working well together. Could have all scored in that game with Johnson''s 2 efforts and Howson''s strike

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Thought you didn''t see the match Mungo![/quote]......when has a little thing like that stood in mungos way of slagging off City players.

Yes, I too feel sorry for Howson. Early on he was played in a defensive role, which didn''t suit him really although he tried. It seemed a matter of time befoe Johnson''s lack of class would show,but he has gone on from strength to strength, and Tettey must surely be the first name on the team sheet.

These are holding mifielders, more dfensive inrole, although you wouldn''t know it from the number of times they are forward. Howson is better as an attacking midifielder who packs avery good shot. He has played second to Wes, mainly because Wes has been in a good run of form., and he must surely push Wes close. Howson has the same close control in crowded areas and can pick passes. If he lacks creativity, he excels at getting forward and making attempts on goal - not the strongest part of Wes''s game.

Could we play both, and create bucket loads of chances? It would have to be by dropping one of our wingers, which would be difficult given how many goals they have scored. So in the absence of injury, change of tactics or loss of form, it is difficult to see Howson getting many games. This is a waste of talent, but it also shows ourstrength in midfield, especially with a match-fit Butterfield due back in a month!

I thought he looked really good. His confidence on the ball, passing and energy were all very good. You could tell that certain players (i.e. Hoolahan) were far more confident at trying to keep the ball in the midfield as he added technique that is sadly missing when Johnson and Tettey play. Despite this it''s difficult to say who we should drop (if anyone) to allow him to play. When Holahan is playing as well as he is, you can''t drop him to let Howson play that advanced midfield role, and with Johnson and Tettey still performing to high standards, you can''t justify dropping them either. It''s certainly a unique situation, a player comes in and performs very well but you can''t guarantee him a place as his competitors are also playing very well.
I''d like to see Howson play more, but he''s going to have to wait until either someone gets injured or their form drops.

Given Hoots has today reported Wessi is injured and is out tomorrow if not agaisnt Wigan as well - let''s see what Howson can do with a bit of a run in the side.  Now''s his chance.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Given Hoots has today reported Wessi is injured and is out tomorrow if not agaisnt Wigan as well - let''s see what Howson can do with a bit of a run in the side.  Now''s his chance.[/quote]

Though according to Mango boy he''s already s*** and doesn''t need any chances. Howson did well out of his favoured position. We sure as hell wouldn''t have won with 10 men

A good friend of mine is a Leeds fan so we often talk about the trio we have poached from them in recent years. Out of the 3, Howson is the one they really didn''t want to see leave.

When I tell him Howson is struggling to break into our first team, yet BJ is going from strength to strength and Snodgrass is finally finding his feet, he still can''t believe it. He believes Snodgrass always will pitch in with goals and assists and was always going to be a good buy for us. He really can''t get his head around BJ being one of the first in the team everyweek, thought he would fade and never be seen again. But Howson, he still avidly bangs on about him being the best player of the 3, and not just because of his captain pedigree Leeds fans got to know and love, but because he really is technically sound and (as mentioned) has an eye for goal and a killer pass.

I still think, if Howson had a good run and managed to find a bit of form in that run, he''d hold that Wes role down and Wes wouldn''t get back in the side. Cue Butterfield.....

It''s always going to be hard for him to excel in defensive mid but he looks good when going forward. Has a fine strike and killer pass as you say and I think it will be between him and Butterfield to take up Wesley''s role eventually. Both have plenty of time on their hands to really mature into the role and be given chances

[quote user="shefcanary"]Given Hoots has today reported Wessi is injured and is out tomorrow if not agaisnt Wigan as well - let''s see what Howson can do with a bit of a run in the side.  Now''s his chance.[/quote]

This about sums up Howson''s current situation of he should get his chance now and he needs to take it. That miss against United was I felt a culmination of having been used in a defensive role and then not at all. Yes all these players are professionals but when you''ve only had one game in six with no sub appearances then you''re hardly going to be "sharp" are you? Even in the United game he was only on for 7 minutes (13 with Fergie time).

I think that with Wes'' unfortunate injury, Howson has to show Hoots what he can do when he''s given that free reign and responsibility behind the striker. We''ve seen glimpses so now it''s time to really push Wes for that starting place and make it difficult to get back in the team.

It really does show the quality of our squad now to have a player of Howson''s class and ability struggling to break into the team (not that I''m a massive fan or anything).

Interesting. I felt that miss of an open goal which would have sealed the game against manyoo was mainly down to having little ability and even less bottle.

Mungo

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]One snapshot early on, afetr that a compete passenger. we effectively won the game with ten men which makes the achievement all the more fantastic![/quote]

Once an idiot, always an idiot.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

Interesting. I felt that miss of an open goal which would have sealed the game against manyoo was mainly down to having little ability and even less bottle.

Mungo

[/quote]

Typically uncompassionate and ill informed view of  a player who had only just come on the pitch and who needed game time to find his confidence and form.   Similar to  Kane''s chance - no doubt he''s been written off too by the numpties who pretend to support the club but who actually show every sign of doing the opposite.   

By the way - open goal means a chance with no one in the goal - and if I remember rightly - don''t MU have a goalkeeper???

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

Mungo

[/quote]

It would be impossible for anyone to have less bottle and ability than you.