Sign in to follow this  
Lord Horn

The Price of Football

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19842397

Thought that this makes interesting reading.  I have always argued that we had relatively reasonable season ticket prices compared to other teams but when you look at the cheapest season ticket prices we are way above some teams that I would have anticipated being in a similar range.  Also not the cheapest day out for any casual supporter who manages to get a ticket.

Football is expensive. Premier League football especially so. Yet all over this message board there is panic setting in that we have started badly, we need a new manager (another few million to pay off the sacked), get in a manager with another club (another few million in compo), buy a striker (how many million for a proven Premier goal getter?) etc etc

Hysteria after seven games because we desperately need to stay in this league. Yet in other threads people don''t want to pay £30 a ticket for Spurs in the cup, criticism over our season ticket pricing structure - we don''t have owners with a bottomless pit of cash, we don''t have the international merchandising pull of a big club, we don''t have glory hunting fans dotted all over the UK, if we want to play in the big boys league we have to play with a big boys budget and unfortunately the one place where we can raise the revenue is.......us, the fans.

Of course there comes a point where everyone gets priced out, it''s a balancing act and one that the club must have researched deeply and one day football as a whole must reach the tipping point where it all comes crashing down, thankfully we seem to be in a relatively healthy position should that happen and when it does maybe it will be our fans that benefit from the restructure, for now I think we just have to accept it for what it is if we want that matchday experience.

We do not have rich owners like many clubs both in the premier league and even in the championship. If we want our club to be able to compete financially we as fans will need to stump up more moving forward to give the club more fire power in the transfer market. I agree the current financial model for Premier league is crazy and would collapse overnight if sky sports ever decided to withdraw their support.

In the meantime I would support a significant increase in the price of tickets provided it all went into the playing side of the club. This would change the financial demographic of the club but would mean that a wealthier fan base would in the long run benefit the club.

I wish the premier league would introduce a wage cap or improve upon the financial fair play rules so fans don''t have to pay even more just to fulfill the wage demands of overpaid football players.

I wonder how much the amount of season ticket holders to capacity ratio affects the prices. I bet the clubs reasoning for the prices is based on supply and demand.

At least our pies are cheap!

And TC, yes possibly, although we have one of the lower ''most expensive'' season ticket prices. If it was purely to do with supply and demand - and given the amazing attendances we''ve had now for years - you''d expect our highest one to be creeping up a little bit more.

That''s a good point TC I forgot about the size of our waiting list, sad to see some of those prices though, imagine being an Arsenal fan with a couple of young kids, there is no way you could afford to go every week unless you''re very wealthy.

[quote user="Ting tong the plastics nemesis"]

We do not have rich owners like many clubs both in the premier league and even in the championship. If we want our club to be able to compete financially we as fans will need to stump up more moving forward to give the club more fire power in the transfer market. I agree the current financial model for Premier league is crazy and would collapse overnight if sky sports ever decided to withdraw their support.

In the meantime I would support a significant increase in the price of tickets provided it all went into the playing side of the club. This would change the financial demographic of the club but would mean that a wealthier fan base would in the long run benefit the club.

[/quote]

Very dangerous idea - this would have to be balanced against how many current season ticket holders you would disenfranchise - what''s the point in forcing people to pay twice as much say and end up with a half filled stadium - absolutely no plus side whatsoever.  Everyone obviously has to make an economic decision as to what their cut off point might be.  In the current economic climate it could be financial suicide to overhike the prices!

"This would change the financial demographic of the club but would mean that a wealthier fan base would in the long run benefit the club."

I''m not too sure if you have thought that through.

The ticket sales provide a VERY small percentage of the club''s overall earnings. Putting an extra £200 on around 5000 season tickets would raise £1m - around 1.3% of our current earnings. Direct that £1m towards the playing budget and I doubt it would add more than 3% to that budget. Figures I am sure could be easily raised by tougher wage/transfer fee negotiations.

As to a wealthier fanbase I''m not sure how putting up the price of tickets makes anyone wealthier. Perhaps the club could stick up the Spurs cup tickets to £60 - I could do with being wealthier coming up to Xmas. 

I like how Wigan''s most expensive season ticket is cheaper than all bar one (I think) other clubs cheapest season ticket.

I''ll admit I don''t pay for my season ticket, my Grandad does, but this is my last season as an Under 21, i''m fairly sure the price difference between that and adult is quite a bit. I hope it is anyway, otherwise my Grandad is paying for too much and should have asked me to pay for some/all of it (not that he likes letting me pay, I bought Spurs away tickets for the both of us and he pretty much forced me to accept money for the tickets).

Football is an expensive game.

We can look at these prices and think they are over the top, footballers are paid too much etc etc etc. But the fact remains that most of these clubs sell most of there tickets (well maybe not quite most and most anymore, a few clubs do struggle). Wigan''s cheap tickets is a sign that despite years in the premiership they still aren''t filling their ground. I''m sure thats in part to do with their location, they aren''t all that far from ''better'' teams. Whereas we could keep increasing out ticket prices and still bring in fans because we only have a handful of lower league clubs near us.

My rudimentary review of this seems to show we are about 12th in the ranking for most expensive in EPL - strangely where we finished in the league last year - a correlation that probably says as much as endless threads on here might.  You want a successful EPL team then you have to pay for it even if the football is not always appealing.

However well done BBC for analysing the cost to home fans - now how about seeing what the equivalent is for clubs charges to aways fans?  For instance for me and my son not likely to get any change out of £150 for our visit to Villa for tickets, train, taxis, food, programme and drink!!!  Compare that to the equivalent £50 for a home match (based on both having season tickets)!  Follow, follow, follow, follow the boys in Yellow!!

[quote user="shefcanary"]me and my son not likely to get any change out of £150 for our visit to Villa for tickets, train, taxis, food, programme and drink!!![/quote]TAXIS?? Get a bleedin'' bus.....cheaper, and less time in the pub so saving FORTUNES on drink!! Taxis indeed!! [:@][;)] [:D]

[quote user="Ting tong the plastics nemesis"]

[/quote]

Sounds like the ideas of a yuppy...

[quote user="Kirby_86"][quote user="Ting tong the plastics nemesis"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Weren''t they all interned in a coalmine in South Yorkshire when Thatch was deposed?????

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="shefcanary"]me and my son not likely to get any change out of £150 for our visit to Villa for tickets, train, taxis, food, programme and drink!!![/quote]

TAXIS?? Get a bleedin'' bus.....cheaper, and less time in the pub so saving FORTUNES on drink!! Taxis indeed!! [:@]

[;)] [:D]
[/quote]

Bus!  When I were a lad would have walked it - but as I''m older and all the bus routes nearby have been shut so they can service the "profitable" routes I''ll do my bit for the ex-lawyers / accountants / football managers / media merchants and use their part-time taxi services!!  [;)] [:)]

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Kirby_86"][quote user="Ting tong the plastics nemesis"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Weren''t they all interned in a coalmine in South Yorkshire when Thatch was deposed?????

[/quote]

Yes Lord Horn, but they escaped and now run Call Centres or Employment Service Companies with contracts with HM Govt. [;)]

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Kirby_86"][quote user="Ting tong the plastics nemesis"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes Lord Horn, but they escaped and now run Call Centres or Employment Service Companies with contracts with HM Govt. [;)]

[/quote]

Did they get to keep their red braces or were these considered to be potential suicide implements????

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="shefcanary"]me and my son not likely to get any change out of £150 for our visit to Villa for tickets, train, taxis, food, programme and drink!!![/quote]

TAXIS?? Get a bleedin'' bus.....cheaper, and less time in the pub so saving FORTUNES on drink!! Taxis indeed!! [:@][;)] [:D][/quote]

Bus!  When I were a lad would have walked it - but as I''m older and all the bus routes nearby have been shut so they can service the "profitable" routes I''ll do my bit for the ex-lawyers / accountants / football managers / media merchants and use their part-time taxi services!!  [;)] [:)][/quote]

I too walked it when I was a boy. We lived in the country in those days so it was twenty five miles each way. My mum used to pack my lunch of one crust of bread, a turnip and a bottle of tea in a sock to keep it warm. It was about this time I discovered I was born on the wrong side of the street.....the lads over the road had shoes........

I still walk seven miles to the games but sometimes after a few in the Nelson, Tilly seems to notice when my legs have gone and kindly drops me off in his cab! [:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="shefcanary"]me and my son not likely to get any change out of £150 for our visit to Villa for tickets, train, taxis, food, programme and drink!!![/quote]

TAXIS?? Get a bleedin'' bus.....cheaper, and less time in the pub so saving FORTUNES on drink!! Taxis indeed!! [:@]

[;)] [:D]
[/quote]

Bus!  When I were a lad would have walked it - but as I''m older and all the bus routes nearby have been shut so they can service the "profitable" routes I''ll do my bit for the ex-lawyers / accountants / football managers / media merchants and use their part-time taxi services!!  [;)] [:)][/quote]

I too walked it when I was a boy. We lived in the country in those days so it was twenty five miles each way. My mum used to pack my lunch of one crust of bread, a turnip and a bottle of tea in a sock to keep it warm. It was about this time I discovered I was born on the wrong side of the street.....the lads over the road had shoes........

I still walk seven miles to the games but sometimes after a few in the Nelson, Tilly seems to notice when my legs have gone and kindly drops me off in his cab! [:D]

[/quote]

Seven miles for you Lap - about 2 miles for the sobre fan!!!! [;)]

[quote user="shefcanary"]Seven miles for you Lap - about 2 miles for the sobre fan!!!! [;)][/quote]Are there any sober fans? They all seem very drunk to me! They all seem to sway about with the room........And they all fall down together whilst I''m the only one standing! People don''t seem to be able to hold their drunk those days! [:S][;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

I usually can spot when the rubber legs,liquid hips and loose fitting teeth descend upon you Lapps but how you manage it on Fosters i have absolutely no idea.As for giving you a lift home just remember that if God intended you to walk he would not have invented Taxis.[;)]

Those were the days, when you could leave your front door wide open without fear of being robbed.  For thruppence ha''penny you could go to the cinema with your gal, buy some popcorn and candyfloss and some choc ices from the seller with the tray round her neck, go to the pub for a couple of drinks afterwards, then stop for fish and chips on the way home and still have change in your pocket!

I want cheap tickets, cheap refreshments, world class players in my team, somebody else to bankroll all of it, and the freedom to say whatever I like about that person be it slanderous/libellous or otherwise.