Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Team for Stoke

Given some good performances last night - Howson, Whittaker, Bunn, Jackson, Tierney, Snodgrass - and given that the Villa game showed some lack of quality and punch -  have any of these played themselves in to the team?

My team would be -                RuddyWhittaker Turner Bassong Tierney          Fox   Howson Tetty       Snodgrass  Holt  Jackson

A touch unfair on the others maybe -  however, I wasn''t that impressed with the team at Villa  - and the more I look at the team above, the more I like it.   It has width and some pace and a strong midfield and some punch up front.  

I do think the teams performance was significantly improved after the introduction of the subs which says loads both about the departing and introduced players quality and impact.  It was a good fight back but I dont think we created enough yesterday in the first 80 mins, with Bunn for me our MOTM saying it all.  We did not have anyone driving the mdifield like Wes did on Sat.

Starting with the formation - we are unbeaten in 3 so would start 4231. 433 as you suggest leaves the mdfield deep and usually forces teams narrow - both snodgrass and Jackson naturally want to come in field.

From the back I agree whittaker impressed and could start,  but disagree about Tierney,   his defending simply is not good enough and Garrido is a class ahead;  Tierney pushes on more but I want my defenders to defend first.

I am a huge Fox fan but I thought he is clearly lacking match fitness,  quite laboured at time so I just dont think he is ready, so despite my calls for him I would def start with Tettey, although could try Howson instead of BJ - but at the mo I am not convinced this would be an improvement.

For the creative three wes is the first name on the sheet . Snodgrass gave the reaction we wanted last night - his two best performances for us have both been against spurs now - and looked good - I can live with him in place of Bennett - Snodgrass'' crossing and retention of the ball is better but Elliott does give us the pace option.   I would stick with Pilkington who while drifting in and out does provide 2 / 3 quality balls per game that create an opening.

Up front Holt on his own.

This structure for me gives us greater width,  plays to our strengths, uses the players who are in form, gives us some midfield solidity and uses our most creative midfielders.

Jackson/Bennett as a subs when is pace is most effective and morison to freshen up the attack if needed for me. 

Has Jackson ever played on the left of a front three before? I''m not taking the p*ss here as I genuinely don''t know. He doesn''t really convince me as a striker and I''m not sure he deserves a place in the team anywhere.One player stood out against Villa and he doesn''t make your team. Don''t really get that. Ruddy, Bassong, Tetty, Hoolahan and Holt should be the spine of our team. Strength, organisation and composure on the ball allied with a goalscoring threat. Bolt your pacy players around that spine and you won''t go far wrong in my opinion.

Ruddy

Whittaker(if martin injured)  Turner Bassong  Garrido

Tettey   BJ

Bennet       Hoolahan   Pilkington

Holt

Some people amaze me, why change a team that has picked up four points from 6 in the league and starting to show form? And please don''t suggest we need to match like for like with Stoke or that Hoolahan will get kicked off the park. Last time we tried to match Stoke it was one of the worse games of rugby I''ve ever seen, and we still lost. Hoolahan will run riot against players like Huth and Shawcross.  

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Has Jackson ever played on the left of a front three before? I''m not taking the p*ss here as I genuinely don''t know. He doesn''t really convince me as a striker and I''m not sure he deserves a place in the team anywhere.One player stood out against Villa and he doesn''t make your team. Don''t really get that. Ruddy, Bassong, Tetty, Hoolahan and Holt should be the spine of our team. Strength, organisation and composure on the ball allied with a goalscoring threat. Bolt your pacy players around that spine and you won''t go far wrong in my opinion.[/quote]

You could replace Jackson with Hoolahan in my line up, I agree.   I  thought Jackson did well in the first half against Liverpool on the left hand side and I think he can worry the Stoke defenders like he did the Liverpool defenders.   He didn''t score even though he had a couple of good chances - but then Hoolahan didn''t score last week with two good chances.  I''m not going to open up the Hoolahan argument again - I like him and he should be a key player during the season - but for this game I would try Jackson in the left channel again. 

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Has Jackson ever played on the left of a front three before? I''m not taking the p*ss here as I genuinely don''t know. He doesn''t really convince me as a striker and I''m not sure he deserves a place in the team anywhere.[/quote]Reading that back it seems quite harsh on Jackson (especially as he scored last night). I probably should have said starting line up instead of team as I think he can be quite effective coming off the bench when his pace is handy against tiring legs.

Same for Stoke as per Arsenal and Villa for me with, as has been said, Whittaker in for Cafu if the latter is not 100%.

Stoke are physical and boisterous so we''ll need that shielding duo of Tetty and Johnson ahead of the back 4.

Wes can make hay against them-if they stick a man on him else dish out some personal attention, we''ll get the set pieces, they''ll get the yellow cards. Holt will enjoy himself, its a game for him if ever there was one.

May well be another 1-0 but that''ll do me.

Going to be absolute brass monkeys tomorrow by all accounts so a question: thermal top under the Norwich shirt, yes or no? Feck this Newcastle thing of wanting to look reet ''ard, just want to be warm!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]You`ll be there on your own tomorrow Shuck so you can wear what you like mate,[/quote]

In a world of my own mate...still, "get there early and avoid the traffic".

[quote user="lake district canary"]Given some good performances last night - Howson, Whittaker, Bunn, Jackson, Tierney, Snodgrass - and given that the Villa game showed some lack of quality and punch -  have any of these played themselves in to the team?

My team would be -                RuddyWhittaker Turner Bassong Tierney          Fox   Howson Tetty       Snodgrass  Holt  Jackson

A touch unfair on the others maybe -  however, I wasn''t that impressed with the team at Villa  - and the more I look at the team above, the more I like it.   It has width and some pace and a strong midfield and some punch up front.  

[/quote]

Tierney was appalling last night. In fairness to him he''s hardly played at all this season so must be a bit rusty but I certainly would not be bringing him in for Garrido who has by and large been very good. The thing you really notice with Garrido is that you don;t really notice him or worry that we are going to be opened up down the left hand side all the time.

For me only 3 question marks for saturday , namely:

1. Snodgrass or E Bennett on the right of the advanced midfield 3;

2. Is Martin fit as if not Whitaker comes in; and

3. Maybe play Howson alongside Tettey and give him a bit of licence to push forward given we are at home.

Other than that its same team for me and I would be amazed (Martin injury aside) if its not exactly the same team that runs out.

If Snodgrass plays I''ll cry.

Why would you want him starting? Hasn''t looked any good at all since Spurs away. Somehow Scotland subing him has ruined him.

Hoolahan needs to play. He''s exactly the kind of player Stoke don''t want up against their defence.

I''d use pace against Stoke and keep Bennett and bring on Jacko later, but I wouldn''t be disappointed to see Snoddy start after watching him against Spurs. Bennett may be a better impact as a sub with his pace and Snoddy has looked better when he''s started rather than trying to ''hit the ground running'' when coming off the bench. He looks better when he has time to play himself into a match

Tierney looked ok yesterday, but doubt he''ll start when the defence against Villa and Arsenal was quite solid. Would like Garrido to carry the ball more though when there''s space in front of him rather than lumping it forward straight away. Bassong often carries the ball out into space and it really helps relieve pressure and also form better attacks

[quote user="Gingerpele"]If Snodgrass plays I''ll cry. Why would you want him starting? Hasn''t looked any good at all since Spurs away. Somehow Scotland subing him has ruined him. Hoolahan needs to play. He''s exactly the kind of player Stoke don''t want up against their defence.[/quote]

I would have been disappointed if he started until I saw him last night against Spurs mate. He was really good and his crossing was so much better than against Villa. Completely different player. He''s a great option to have. I still think Benno will start, but Snoddy has given CH a nice problem

I liked the look of Whittaker last night, very composed under pressure and some excellent tackling. Be good to see him start a premiership game.

Garrido is a better player than Tierney.

Snoddy should be on instead of Benno but I would like to see Pilks and Snoddy swap wings during the game. Apparently they are both capable of doing so.

BJ makes a hell of a lot of clearances in our penalty area when we are under the cosh but Howson at least gets his shots on target. Can''t decide between the two for the MF slot alongside Tettey.

Norwich will see a lot of the ball against Stoke due to the way they play - so I doubt Hughton needs to play both Johnson and Tettey. Would be good to see either Fox or Howson come in for Johnson (harsh as he has been playing well but Tettey has been superb recently). By adding a ball player into the centre of the pitch it will allow Norwich to make the most from the large amount of possession they are almost certainly going to have. Not too worries about having good crosses into the box as Stoke don''t conceed too many goals that way with the height they have - quick minds and quick feet are essential though.

Form players like Hoolahan, Holt, Tettey and Bassong are a must have of course.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Norwich will see a lot of the ball against Stoke due to the way they play - so I doubt Hughton needs to play both Johnson and Tettey. Would be good to see either Fox or Howson come in for Johnson (harsh as he has been playing well but Tettey has been superb recently). By adding a ball player into the centre of the pitch it will allow Norwich to make the most from the large amount of possession they are almost certainly going to have. Not too worries about having good crosses into the box as Stoke don''t conceed too many goals that way with the height they have - quick minds and quick feet are essential though.

Form players like Hoolahan, Holt, Tettey and Bassong are a must have of course.

[/quote]

Ain''t that the truth. Should be our motto

I don''t mind BJ playing because Tettey seems to get forward more than him now anyway so that leaves him to sit. Depends what you want in there, but I wouldn''t mind Howson either, but I''d rather he went forward and Tettey sat if it''s them two (even though Tettey has a decent strike). Would be interesting to see Snoddy and Pilks swap wings. I''m sure Benno and Pilks could do the same, but I imagine CH likes his players to stay in their positions. Whitaker did look good last night and provided he''s not shattered it''d be good to see him play. He said he''s used to 50 to 60 games a season, but this is a different level and he''s only just back from injury

You thought Snodgrass was good last night?

I thought he was fairly poor... Had about 15 corners and free kicks to put in the box, most were better than his usual delivery, but he had a lot of them.

For me, there is no way last night is a reason to start Snodgrass ahead of Bennett or Pilks...

Yeah he looked quite positive to me and certainly better than Villa. I though his delivery was quite decent and obviously contributed to Jacko''s goal with his free-kick. Some decent corners too. BUT I only saw the 2nd half so I honestly can''t say about the 1st half and will take your word for it! I would still start Benno (because he''s always my preferred choice on the right) but I wouldn''t be gutted if Snoddy started. You know they''ll both most likely get game-time anyway. I would start Pilks over Surman, but he needs to up his level and get back to his best. Want to see him and Garrido work well down the left.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]You thought Snodgrass was good last night?

I thought he was fairly poor... Had about 15 corners and free kicks to put in the box, most were better than his usual delivery, but he had a lot of them.

For me, there is no way last night is a reason to start Snodgrass ahead of Bennett or Pilks...[/quote]

Snodgrass has generally been good for us when he has played this season. Yes he''s missed a couple of good chances but he''s also had several good games and has not looked at all out of place playing in the premiership despite not having played at this level before. He is a decent player and I don''t really understand why several on here seem to have convinced themselves that he''s not, presumably on the basis of one iffy game against Liverpool. Completely unfair criticism of a player who has done nothing to deserve it.

That said thought bennett played well at Villa so nothing to chose between them in my eyes. Benno will probably start just because he is the man currently in possession of the shirt.

Forgot to mention that Stoke''s one left back broke his leg last game, so whoever plays there is likely to be right-footed (or Upson). Playing Snodgrass on the right who wants to cut in on his left-foot all the time would suit a right-footed left back (lot''s of lefts and rights in that sentance).

Getting Bennett to play on the right and telling him to go on the outside of his man will probably have more joy - or we can pray that a slow, out of form Matthew Upson plays there and then even I could beat him for pace.

I assume those that want to leave Hoolahan out against Stoke aren''t particulary interested in winning the game. It''s a home game against a team tough to break down, he''s exactly the type of player needed for this sort of game.

Whittaker - who I thought played well last night - in for Martin. Otherwise, as we started against Villa.

Stoke one of those must win home games. Anything less than a victory will see us pulled back into the mire.

Ruddy

Whittaker (let Martin rest) Bassong Turner Garrido

Tettey Johnson

Snoddy Hoops Pilks

Holt

It seems to me that it comes down to, do you sub strength for pace v a rough and physical team like stoke.

for me, I''ve noticed when stoke are up against pace, they get frustrated and make ''slip ups'' that give away free kicks. great, but they''re not exactly stupid about it. it''s never in a really dangerous position, and if it ends up injuring one of our players, its lights out for them for a few games

my vote goes for the strength and awareness of snoddy over the pace and touch of bennet. I''m sure many will disagree with me, but it is just my opinion.

Unchanged for me unless there is an injury;  with some very capable subs in Jackson, snodgrass and whittaker if needed...