Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Team for Man. U.

Team for Machester United.

This is the biggest home game of the season, made moreso about the remarkable way they played in order to retrieve the situation versus Villa. They were awsome, but a bit suspect at the back.

This is the one situation where I feel it is not a question of stay as you are with a winning/successful side, so for me:

My, on a hiding for nothing, line-up is:-

Ruddy, Garrido, Bassong, Turner, Whittaker.

Fox, Johnson, Tettey

Hoolihan, Howson

Holt, Jackson.

Drastic changes, I know, but this is the exceptional game of the season. Exceptional measures are called for. Tactics and effort alone won''t beat this lot. Inspiration might, you never know. Width from attacking full-backs btw.

The fact that I have picked a team of 12 demonstrates the difficulty of the task [:)]  Howson or Jacko perhaps. Are they susupect at the back? Can Rio outpace Jacko? Or will Jonny out-wit him.

Now fellow tacticians ......... slaughter me.  (What no width?)

Honestly, this is not a pish take, not much anyhow.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Team for Machester United.   This is the biggest home game of the season, made moreso about the remarkable way they played in order to retrieve the situation versus Villa. They were awsome, but a bit suspect at the back. This is the one situation where I feel it is not a question of stay as you are with a winning/successful side, so for me:  My, on a hiding for nothing, line-up is:-

Ruddy, Garrido, Bassong, Turner, Whittaker.

Fox, Johnson, Tettey

Hoolihan, Howson

Holt, Jackson.

Drastic changes, I know, but this is the exceptional game of the season. Exceptional measures are called for. Tactics and effort alone won''t beat this lot. Inspiration might, you never know. Width from attacking full-backs btw.

The fact that I have picked a team of 12 demonstrates the difficulty of the task [:)]  Howson or Jacko perhaps. Are they susupect at the back? Can Rio outpace Jacko? Or will Jonny out-wit him.

Now fellow tacticians ......... slaughter me.  (What no width?)

Honestly, this is not a pish take, not much anyhow.

[/quote]

I''m no tactician - but what I do know is that we have to play the same way match after match - whoever the opposition.   Play as we have learned to play over the last few weeks, keep the faith and stick to your guns.   No drastic team changes necessary imo, just belief in the way the manager is doing things and carry on.   1 -1,  0-0 or a 1 - 0 win in a tight game  would be just as acceptable - just as it has been in the last few weeks. 

The only change from the recent unchanged side I would entertain would be to bring in Elliott Bennett to RM and then choose between Pilks or Snoddy for LM. But I wouldn''t be disappointed to see another unchanged line up.

I think I would go

4-2-2-2

Ruddy

Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido

Tettey Johnson

E Bennett Snodgrass

Holt Jackson

stick to 4231, it worked against arsenal, provide protection out wide where there goals come from and midfield security and lack of space for rooney in the middle

as well as nullifying their threats it also best suits our own attacking ability; wes in the middle and quality delivery from wide by pilkington; our strikers wont miss again will they? Holt will be up for this so I am pretty sure we will score.

I think I prefer elliotts pace to break forward and defending over snodgrasss and martin if fit over whittaker so would go

Ruddy

MArtin Turner Bassong Garrido

Johnson Tettey

Bennett Hoolahan Pilkington

Holt

Subs

Bunn Whittaker Tierney Morison Jackson Snodgrass Howson

----------------Ruddy------------Whittaker-Seb-Turner-Garrido---------------Tettey------------------Bennett--------------Pilks-----------------Hoolahan----------------------Holt--Morison--------Diamond. 4-1-2-1-2. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!!

I could see Garrido given a rest for Whittaker and Russ returning RB.

The centre halves and centre midfield pick themselves at present.

Hoolahan plays and Holt saves his goals for the top sides. Incidentally, I thought Holt worked extremely hard at Reading and was unlucky not to score with a Reading defender getting a faint touch. Holt gets fit through games and looks at peak fitness to me.

Snodgrass works hard but so does Benno. Either could play.

Pilks has been a little disappointing but was good against Arsenal and needs to show the same disdain for top opponents.

Man Utd worked really hard at Villa. But Villa are a young side and lacked the nous to run the game out. Scholes remains a threat as does Cleverley. With any luck Rooney will play for England on Wednesday and get a knock.

We absolutely have to improve on our crossing. This is the key to beating Man Utd and we need early balls in.

I suspect the Norwich starting eleven will be unchanged.

Two changes for me Foxy and Benno to come in;

Ruddy

Whittaker   Turner  Bassong  Garrido 

Tettey  Fox 

Bennett  Hoolahan Snodgrass

Holt

Nothing against BJ but we really need to be efficient with possession and Fox makes better use of the ball. Tough between Snoddy and Pilks, Neither have particulary impressed me this season but both are cleary capable of producing some magic on their day. I''d nearly be tempted with Surman. As for Benno, his pace and directness will be essential in a counter attack set up.

I fancy us for a draw.

i hope we are more attack minded for this match. for me, their defence is very suspect this season. ferdinand is only a shadow of his former self, and without scholes the midfield is only "quite good". the less we think about their attack, the less worries we will have. RVP has withdrawn from the dutch squad with a thigh strain and rooney withdrawn from the england squad. we can only hope they are not minor knocks.

[quote user="flying high up in the sky!".

How is man u at home the biggest game of the season? quote]

Erm, how is it not ???

"How is man u at home the biggest game of the season?" he asks.

Your point being?"

Besides that, I did not say: Man. U. "at home was the biggest game of the season." as you mis-represent.

My exact words were: "Man. United is the biggest home game of the season." A distinct difference epecially as we could well have a Wembley game to look forward to before the season is out. To my recollection, for all of the time we have been in the top-flight, past and present, this fixture has always been the biggest at the Carra. in any given season. Do you dispute that?

It continually gets on my pisser that there is always one, always one, who picks up on a triviality of a  point in such a thread, whilst expressing no opinion whatsoever on the debate in question.

Such an invaluable contribution to the thread, for sure.

[quote user="Renskay"]I think I would go 4-2-2-2 Ruddy Whittaker Turner Bassong Garrido Tettey Johnson E Bennett Snodgrass Holt Jackson[/quote]

Otherwise known as 4-4-2

Same again this Saturday except perhaps if Russell M fit is Whittaker to LB and Garrido to play further forward on left to replace Pilkington who has been especially poor recently and needs to be given a wake up call.  Garrido has played left midfield before and could fill in.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="flying high up in the sky!". How is man u at home the biggest game of the season? quote] Erm, how is it not ???[/quote]

Because there are three points to play for

[quote user="star_manic"]i hope we are more attack minded for this match. for me, their defence is very suspect this season. ferdinand is only a shadow of his former self, and without scholes the midfield is only "quite good". the less we think about their attack, the less worries we will have. RVP has withdrawn from the dutch squad with a thigh strain and rooney withdrawn from the england squad. we can only hope they are not minor knocks.
[/quote]

I think we all know the answer to that