Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

Michael Owen retires from football...

Would be interested to know the terms of the deal. If it is a pay as you play package, i think this could turn out to be avery astute move.

Charlie Adam would be a good FPL signing, he''s the only Stoke player who can lump it into the air and bring it down roughly near someone''s head.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Charlie Adam would be a good FPL signing, he''s the only Stoke player who can lump it into the air and bring it down roughly near someone''s head.

[/quote]

Has that Carling Cup penalty finally landed then[:^)]

I don''t like how sky sports are reporting it as ''Michael Owen, who failed in his dream to return to Liverpool signs for Stoke'' - Typical of modern media.  a

Yeah Ski'', was thinking the same thing when I read it. This might be a very good move, but I''m not too dissapointed we didn''t get him... I''d like Harry Kane to get a chance as he''ll be hungry to make an impression. You just wouldn''t know what to expect with Owen. He was(is?) a class player and can turn games...but he''d cost you money. Better to have some money left in case you need it in January imo

Also, if Owen had come here he would have been a focal point - someone who would be singled out every week by the media, by the fans, perhaps even the players.    In other words his high profile character would probably have had a detrimental effect on the team  ethic.   Much better we have a young exciting prospect in Kane  who is likely to fit in to the scheme of things. 

We do not need old has beens to improve our squad.    We alread  have enough senior players here (which every club needs).  Bring on the fresh talent rather than bring in the Heskeys/Owens/Yakubus etc etc.  - we simply don''t need them.

ldc, is this not something the larger managers do to themselves to take the focus from their other players?

I dunno... Maybe that would''ve been a benefit in signing a player of his calibre?

While i wouldn''t want him here personally (i.e. is he worth the outlay?) i could see how it puts us on the map in terms of prospective signings. I think most up and coming players would love to have the chance of sitting in the changing rooms with him, and learning in training.

Seems a nice guy too, even if his morals are a little bit geared towards money.

Michael Owen...a fit Michael Owen is arguably the best striker England have besides Rooney. 1 on 1, 9/10 he will bury it. Composed, clever movement. I think Stoke have got themselves a great deal. I just hope he starts a few games and plays week in week out. Crouch n Owen has potential to be lethal. Would have loved him here. My boyhood hero along with talisman Grant Holt! It gets the mind pondering

Early rumours are suggesting that he''s accepted a deal of 25k a week.Whilst we can''t confirm the full accuracy of this, it''s a far cry from the ''massive'' wages that some fans claimed he''d demand.This would have put him on par with players like Holt, and at that sort of price would have been well worth the gamble IMHO - if we''d have had the squad places to allow it, as it appears Stoke might get the transfer refused themselves around this area...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Early rumours are suggesting that he''s accepted a deal of 25k a week.

Whilst we can''t confirm the full accuracy of this, it''s a far cry from the ''massive'' wages that some fans claimed he''d demand.

This would have put him on par with players like Holt, and at that sort of price would have been well worth the gamble IMHO - if we''d have had the squad places to allow it, as it appears Stoke might get the transfer refused themselves around this area...
[/quote]

According to reports today he was offered a deal at Stoke in May but didn''t want to go there. He went back at the last minute because he couldn''t get a club he wanted. @bigtimecharliesettlesforlittlestoke.

[quote user="scrappy33"]He is better than any thing we have, some people on here are just clueless.[/quote]

Maybe he is or maybe he isn''t better than anything we have? Are you completely sure of this definitive statement?

Those who take into account his age and his injury record, and I am undecided about this player btw, cannot really be "clueless" as you so eloquently put it.

Why are posters clueless because they have a different opinion?

The next step I guess is to tell them they''re everything that''s wrong with the pink un.

If a poster has a different opinion then debate that opinion. Surely that''s what the board is for?

Well done to Stoke I say, it appears there are very few decent strikers available at present for moderate money and Owen has an amazing track record and big experience at this level, well worth the "risk" I say and expect him to perform very well at Stoke.