Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

Footballers' salaries

We often read of footballers earning xK per week, but does anyone know, out of curiosity, whether premiership footballers are actually paid weekly, or monthly like most people?

And another thing I was curious about, the xK per week, is it paid during close season as well, or just during the playing season?

I don''t think there is a general rule about this. I''ve read about some players being paid monthly. But I''ve heard mostly it''s weekly. It''s their salary and is paid all year around.One thing you maybe surprised to know is that the figures that they quote I.e. £100,000pw is after tax. The players and clubs deal in after tax figures.

Some elements of the salaries are paid annually but otherwise, footballers are paid monthly and payments continue during the summer, of course. I am posting because this thread reminded me of an old, true story.

Footballers used to be subject to a maximum wage and were, indeed, paid less during the summer. Fulham''s "Tosh" Chamberlain was paid £20 during the season and £15 during the summer. When the maximum limit was removed, teammate Johnny Haynes became the first £100 a week player (all year). Chamberlain demanded parity, but was offered a deal with a summer/winter differential. Chairman Tommy Trinder explained: "Haynes is a better player." Chamberlain said: "Not during the Summer."

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I don''t think there is a general rule about this. I''ve read about some players being paid monthly. But I''ve heard mostly it''s weekly. It''s their salary and is paid all year around.

One thing you maybe surprised to know is that the figures that they quote I.e. £100,000pw is after tax. The players and clubs deal in after tax figures.
[/quote]

I find that hard to believe. Do you have a link to back that up ?  I agree that some big-name foreign players won''t move unless the tax is paid totally by a club as tax here is so high, but those are the really top greedy guys and are a very small number. My understanding for argument sake is that Holt is on around a 22K a week before tax and pays his own tax, otherwise quoting 22K a week salary is a lie as it would be around 30-35K.   

[quote user="AndyCanary"]
One thing you maybe surprised to know is that the figures that they quote I.e. £100,000pw is after tax. The players and clubs deal in after tax figures.
[/quote]

Clubs don''t ever release figures about how much a player is paid the before or after tax figure isn''t known. The amounts in the press are pretty much educated guesses.

Players often avoid paying large amounts of taxes by having lump sum payments made to companies in the Cayman Islands for ''imaging rights''.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I don''t think there is a general rule about this. I''ve read about some players being paid monthly. But I''ve heard mostly it''s weekly. It''s their salary and is paid all year around.One thing you maybe surprised to know is that the figures that they quote I.e. £100,000pw is after tax. The players and clubs deal in after tax figures.[/quote]

I find that hard to believe. Do you have a link to back that up ?  I agree that some big-name foreign players won''t move unless the tax is paid totally by a club as tax here is so high, but those are the really top greedy guys and are a very small number. My understanding for argument sake is that Holt is on around a 22K a week before tax and pays his own tax, otherwise quoting 22K a week salary is a lie as it would be around 30-35K.   

[/quote]No I don''t. The other guy is right, no clubs disclose salaries, they don''t need to. But the figures that agents work with for their clients are after tax.Here is a footballers pay slip.. John Arne Rise:[IMG]http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/30/dsc00222_2.jpg[/IMG]

Norwich players are paid monthly and bonuses/appearance fees etc are totted up and paid 3 or 4 times a year. I''m not sure why but I think its something to do with when the club get TV money or similar.

[quote user="paul moy"]So as I suspected, no link... what a surprise !![/quote]Hush you gums you turd. Instead of being a smart a$$ why don''t you find a link to say otherwise if you''re so sure.Despise dweebs like you who troll forums disagreeing with people without any substance.

[quote user="paul moy"]So as I suspected, no link... what a surprise !![/quote]

According to the Daily Mirror, Juve have resumed talks with Van Persie’s agents and pledged to top any proposal made by Manchester United.This would include a £50m offer to Arsenal for the transfer fee, plus a five-year contract with wages thought to be worth £190,000 a week after tax.http://www.football-italia.net/22504/juve-offer-%C2%A320m-van-persieZlatan Ibrahimovic is now the world’s highest-paid footballer after PSG agreed to pay him £220,000 a week after tax.http://now-football.com/2012/07/19/thursdays-transfer-gossip/It is believed Rooney and his advisers want £150,000-a-week after tax, which would effectively be £250,000-a-week gross in January and an incredible £300,000-a-week next April when the Government’s new 50 per cent tax bracket comes into force.http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/10/22/2177223/wayne-rooney-wants-150000-a-week-after-tax-but-manchester-united-There are just a few links that it took me 2 minutes to find. A perfect example is the Rooney situation. Google ''Rooney 150,000 a week and you get over 9 million results.. Google Rooney 250,000 a week and you get barely over 600k results.Wages are negotiated by agents. It all starts at the top and works its way down, rather than the other way around. I.e. If Messi is on £250k a week then Xavi will be on £200k and Fabregas £150k (for example)... Rather than working upwards from Fab.So when agents negotiate for their players they don''t want to have to battle through the nitty gritty of tax laws, they want to talk about what the player will take home. Why would a money motivated played go to the EPL on £100k pw gross when he''d take home £60kish pw when he could goto a different league with lower taxes and take home £80k pw? He wouldn''t, and that is why agents work in nett figures.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="paul moy"]So as I suspected, no link... what a surprise !![/quote]

According to the Daily Mirror, Juve have resumed talks with Van Persie’s agents and pledged to top any proposal made by Manchester United.

This would include a £50m offer to Arsenal for the transfer fee, plus a five-year contract with wages thought to be worth £190,000 a week after tax.
http://www.football-italia.net/22504/juve-offer-%C2%A320m-van-persie

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is now the world’s highest-paid footballer after PSG agreed to pay him £220,000 a week after tax.
http://now-football.com/2012/07/19/thursdays-transfer-gossip/

It is believed Rooney and his advisers want £150,000-a-week after tax, which would effectively be £250,000-a-week gross in January and an incredible £300,000-a-week next April when the Government’s new 50 per cent tax bracket comes into force.
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/10/22/2177223/wayne-rooney-wants-150000-a-week-after-tax-but-manchester-united-

There are just a few links that it took me 2 minutes to find. A perfect example is the Rooney situation. Google ''Rooney 150,000 a week and you get over 9 million results.. Google Rooney 250,000 a week and you get barely over 600k results.

Wages are negotiated by agents. It all starts at the top and works its way down, rather than the other way around. I.e. If Messi is on £250k a week then Xavi will be on £200k and Fabregas £150k (for example)... Rather than working upwards from Fab.
So when agents negotiate for their players they don''t want to have to battle through the nitty gritty of tax laws, they want to talk about what the player will take home. Why would a money motivated played go to the EPL on £100k pw gross when he''d take home £60kish pw when he could goto a different league with lower taxes and take home £80k pw? He wouldn''t, and that is why agents work in nett figures.

[/quote]

As I said, this applies to the greedy few, not players of the ilk of Holt. It does not prove your case at all.  

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="paul moy"]So as I suspected, no link... what a surprise !![/quote]

According to the Daily Mirror, Juve have resumed talks with Van Persie’s agents and pledged to top any proposal made by Manchester United.This would include a £50m offer to Arsenal for the transfer fee, plus a five-year contract with wages thought to be worth £190,000 a week after tax.http://www.football-italia.net/22504/juve-offer-%C2%A320m-van-persieZlatan Ibrahimovic is now the world’s highest-paid footballer after PSG agreed to pay him £220,000 a week after tax.http://now-football.com/2012/07/19/thursdays-transfer-gossip/It is believed Rooney and his advisers want £150,000-a-week after tax, which would effectively be £250,000-a-week gross in January and an incredible £300,000-a-week next April when the Government’s new 50 per cent tax bracket comes into force.http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/10/22/2177223/wayne-rooney-wants-150000-a-week-after-tax-but-manchester-united-There are just a few links that it took me 2 minutes to find. A perfect example is the Rooney situation. Google ''Rooney 150,000 a week and you get over 9 million results.. Google Rooney 250,000 a week and you get barely over 600k results.Wages are negotiated by agents. It all starts at the top and works its way down, rather than the other way around. I.e. If Messi is on £250k a week then Xavi will be on £200k and Fabregas £150k (for example)... Rather than working upwards from Fab.So when agents negotiate for their players they don''t want to have to battle through the nitty gritty of tax laws, they want to talk about what the player will take home. Why would a money motivated played go to the EPL on £100k pw gross when he''d take home £60kish pw when he could goto a different league with lower taxes and take home £80k pw? He wouldn''t, and that is why agents work in nett figures.

[/quote]

As I said, this applies to the greedy few, not players of the ilk of Holt. It does not prove your case at all.  

[/quote]Haha, you really are a fool aren''t you.. You do realise that there won''t ever be any cast iron proof of this because the is no FIFA law to saw salaries are discussed in nett figures.How do most people on PAYE discuss their income? They discuss it in Gross terms... but where is the ''proof'' that you are asking for the prove that? There isn''t any.. I could find some people talking about it but in your eyes that would just be some people talking about it.The fact is (as I said before) agents talk in nett figures. Holt''s agent (your example) isn''t going to talk in gross terms just because his player or him are ''greedy'' they''re going to do it because THAT''S HOW THE INDUSTRY WORKS.I don''t know why I''m bothering to try and explain it to you, you clearly as as daft as a brush.

The fact is (as I said before) agents talk in nett figures. Holt''s agent (your example) isn''t going to talk in gross terms just because his player or him are ''greedy'' they''re going to do it because THAT''S HOW THE INDUSTRY WORKS.

[/quote]

What makes it a fact? Are you a football agent?

Looking at the payslip you posted on here JAR gets paid £83,413.67 net a month - did his agent go into the meeting and argue for that amount or was it negotiated to be the £120,000 a month he gets paid gross?

You said in your first post that the figures seen in the press are gross figures - but agreed with me when I said those figures are just made up. A made up figure isn''t gross or net.

It sounds like you are trying to sound clever and ''in the know'' when just guessing at how things go on in the background.

[quote user="Norfolk canary"]Paul moy you are a berk from Berkshire[/quote]

Double troll alert !!

What, of course, the examples do show is that the ''wages'' of Premiership footballers really are obscene.

Whilst we get at one end of the scale a young man on benefits trying to afford the admission to watch a game of footballers we get on the other end of the scale some footballers being paid (Samuel Eto''o) more than his weekly benefit in two minutes.

Yes, the footballers deserve to be well paid ................ but how well?

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]With all that money, why do so many have such bad haircuts?[/quote]

It''s not just that. Most of  them can''t even afford a razor to have a proper shave.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

The fact is (as I said before) agents talk in nett figures. Holt''s agent (your example) isn''t going to talk in gross terms just because his player or him are ''greedy'' they''re going to do it because THAT''S HOW THE INDUSTRY WORKS.

[/quote]

Looking at the payslip you posted on here JAR gets paid £83,413.67 net a month - did his agent go into the meeting and argue for that amount or was it negotiated to be the £120,000 a month he gets paid gross?

You said in your first post that the figures seen in the press are gross figures - but agreed with me when I said those figures are just made up. A made up figure isn''t gross or net.

It sounds like you are trying to sound clever and ''in the know'' when just guessing at how things go on in the background.

[/quote]You do realise you are questioning the very foundation of a message board don''t you? If every one posted nothing but factual information there wouldn''t be any posts on here at all other than stuff like:OP: Ayala moves to Forest1st post: Yes I see that.2nd post: Yup reported on their web site3rd post: and on ours4th post: Thank you for letting me know5th post: I think he''ll only be over there to get some games under his belt as he''s been injured.6th post by Bethnal Yellow and Green: HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?.. YOU ARE CLEARLY TRYING TO BE CLEVER WHEN ACTUALLY YOU''RE JUST GUESSING!!! I''m not a football agent, but all of my comments are backed up by things I''ve read from players, managers or agents.My point was that the figures that we hear about are nett of tax. To prove my point wrong how about you and berk boy run along and find an article where a player is reported to be earning £x amount gross..I don''t see anywhere where I''ve agreed that the figures quoted are gross.. I said the figures quoted were nett. Where I agreed with you is that the figures quoted in the press are very rarely released by the clubs and are often leaked or speculation.In the case of JAR pay slip the nett figure is inclusive of his bonus''s. Without the bonus''s his weekly wage is something like £13.5k which is £700k a year nett. If you add in his appearance bonus it''s around £14k a week. Anyhow, the bottom line here is that I stand by my original point which is the format players discuss wages is in nett terms.

[quote user="AndyCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You do realise you are questioning the very foundation of a message board don''t you? If every one posted nothing but factual information there wouldn''t be any posts on here at all other than stuff like:
OP: Ayala moves to Forest
1st post: Yes I see that.
2nd post: Yup reported on their web site
3rd post: and on ours
4th post: Thank you for letting me know
5th post: I think he''ll only be over there to get some games under his belt as he''s been injured.
6th post by Bethnal Yellow and Green: HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?.. YOU ARE CLEARLY TRYING TO BE CLEVER WHEN ACTUALLY YOU''RE JUST GUESSING!!!

I''m not a football agent, but all of my comments are backed up by things I''ve read from players, managers or agents.
My point was that the figures that we hear about are nett of tax. To prove my point wrong how about you and berk boy run along and find an article where a player is reported to be earning £x amount gross..

I don''t see anywhere where I''ve agreed that the figures quoted are gross.. I said the figures quoted were nett. Where I agreed with you is that the figures quoted in the press are very rarely released by the clubs and are often leaked or speculation.

In the case of JAR pay slip the nett figure is inclusive of his bonus''s. Without the bonus''s his weekly wage is something like £13.5k which is £700k a year nett. If you add in his appearance bonus it''s around £14k a week.

Anyhow, the bottom line here is that I stand by my original point which is the format players discuss wages is in nett terms.

[/quote]

I''m not ''questioning the very foundation of a message board'' the example you give is an opinion whereas you are stating ''THAT''S HOW THE INDUSTRY WORKS'' as if you are the Oracle of football. You make a broad brush statement and then claim everyone else has to come up with the evidence that it isn''t true - when Paul had the temerity to ask how you knew this ''fact'' you call him an idiot and give him a load of abuse. Are we all just suppose to agree with you because you ''read it somewhere'' and not dare question how you knew such a thing.

If you look at JAR''s payslip again you will see he gets a nice round figure of £120,000 per month gross (with points and appearance bonuses plus an incriment for being in the Champions League). The monthly wage is obviously a negotiated figure, and that is his gross figure (it''s kind of ironic you posted the evidence that kind of disproves your statement).

Footballers are paid monthly, which is why when clubs are in financial trouble you will hear them saying ''I wasn''t paid November''s wages'' not ''I wasn''t paid the last 4 weeks wages''.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16906970

When players move between countries then net figures will be talked about as due to different tax laws a lower gross figure may still result in a high net figure (This was the case in Spain which had a fixed rate tax on all non-Spanish people regardless of how much they earnt, this has now been scrapped).

Like all things in life, I imagine there is no one way which every player/agent/club uses all the time - some agents might like to work in gross some in net, it really isn''t important.

Oh my.. I really didn''t think I was making this difficult to understand..My point:The agents negotiate in nett figures.The figures reported are in nett figures.I am not saying (and also doubt) that the clubs structure their deals in nett figures.. I thought that posting a pay slip from JAR would have made that perfectly obvious that I didn''t think that way.I can''t be a$$ed to go over this any more. I didn''t insult that moy turd because he questioned me, I insulted him because of the manner in which he questioned me. It''s difficult to have a decent debate with someone who just unreasonably throws back cr@p in your face.

''nett figures''

are they the same as net figures ?

One thing IS certain, you haven''t a clue about what you are warbling about

[quote user="City1st"]

''nett figures''

are they the same as net figures ?

One thing IS certain, you haven''t a clue about what you are warbling about

[/quote]

Yes City 1st, they are the same, ''net'' is now the more common American version of ''nett'' but both are fine to use and mean the same.