Sign in to follow this  
Greg Downs Hairpiece

Celtic Game

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Good to see we''ve picked the whipping boy for next season. Was getting bored of unreasonably slating Moro every week. Need someone new. Can''t wait for Fulham now.[/quote]

My reply re Ward was tongue in cheek hence the smilee

Celtic goalie has an eye injury courtesy of Vaughan so had gone off , replaced by Forster.

Did Paul Lambert leave us to take up a post at Celtic TV? The host on this stream sounds so much like him it''s scary.

Half-time, 0-0. Quite a good match for a friendly, with a few tasty challenges.

Vaughan''s playing as if his life depended on it. Has not impressed the Celic commentators, though, with his firm challenges; they reckon he led with his elbow on their goalie.

Hughton expected to make 9 substitutions for second half, with just Ruddy and first-half sub Russell Martin to stay on. Hughton was maybe just putting Wardy in the shop window ...

Vaughan and Morison looked good upfront, Vaughan particularly loked lively, thought Ayala looked good and glad to see Tierney back.

Johnson did ok in the middle but missed Howson.

What did you think?

[quote user="technika"]

@banana - yeh wasnt paying attention, hadnt noticed you had put 1st & 2nd half line ups

[/quote]

No need for that mate.

The Crofts/Johnson midfield offers good defensive shape and reliability but offers little in terms of vertical or horizontal movement (which is what Howson provides) or creativity (Hoolahan), it''s obvious that in (most) matches that only one will play as one of the central midfielders, I feel it will be Johnson as he just seems more (defensively) composed and better in possession.Crofts had a habit in the first half of trying to ''force'' the pass, something I don''t like to see from midfielders, whilst Johnson was more than willing to just keep the ball with a simple pass)

My post was in reference to Clint, not you CA. You just beat me to posting first.

For those watching a stream, Victor Wanyama, Kenyan international and currently playing as CB having come on as first-half sub, is a player I''d be very impressed if we signed. Normally defensive midfielder, he''s quick, got a great eye for a pass, comfortable with the ball, and strong in the tackle.

Surmans movement and technique is sublime. Not much pace, but everytime he drives forward with the ball you just know he''s going to pick the right pass, great player who is wasted out wide IMO.

I''m glad its not me having to pick the starting 11 for the Fulham game.

[quote user="Gareth"]Surmans movement and technique is sublime. Not much pace, but everytime he drives forward with the ball you just know he''s going to pick the right pass, great player who is wasted out wide IMO.[/quote]

thought he''s looking a bit lightweight myself  [:D]

Barnett and Bennett have worked well together and look very composed, apart from that we looked better first half.

Not a bad workout! Good Ol'' Holty, he''ll be big again for us this year

I''f I had to pick up my 11 players from only this game:

Ruddy

Martin - Barnett - Bennett - Tierney

Bennett - Howson - Hoolahan - Surman

Holt - Vaughan

Tierney, Hoolahan and Holt would be choise for 3 best players.

Not our best game, but quite solid performance.

I''m sorry but no-one mentioned Howson yet.  He ran the 2nd half for us. Started from the back and allowed Hoolahan to operate further forward and cause problems.  Also it was his volley saved by Forster which enabled Holt''s open goal tap in.  Howson was so composed and I never saw him lose the ball.  Wonderful performance and you get the impression he didn''t get out of first gear.

Agreed...bar one nervous moment in our own box Howson looked the best player...I have to say though Barnett looked very good too...his passing was surprisingly good, fair dues.

I have to add, Celtic had a lot of players missing and over the 90 we had the lot out.

[quote user="Muddy funster"]I''m sorry but no-one mentioned Howson yet.  He ran the 2nd half for us. Started from the back and allowed Hoolahan to operate further forward and cause problems.  Also it was his volley saved by Forster which enabled Holt''s open goal tap in.  Howson was so composed and I never saw him lose the ball.  Wonderful performance and you get the impression he didn''t get out of first gear.[/quote]

Absolutely spot-on.

I also thought Vaughan looks like he''s trying to make up for lost time

One note of caution. Celtic lost 4-0 to Ajax a few days ago. Should be a big test for us next Tuesday.