Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Olympics Football

I know there are no city players, but is anyone looking forward to it?I think I am probably more than the euros - got some tickets for "all traffic" as well, but not quite sure who I''m watching yet !!Anyhoo, Football 365 have done atop ten players to watch - its another great shop window for players like the euros - would we be tempted on any of these ......?http://www.football365.com/topical-top-10/7928433/Top-Ten-Players-To-Watch-At-The-Olympics

[quote user="NWC"]I know there are no city players, but is anyone looking forward to it?
I think I am probably more than the euros - got some tickets for "all traffic" as well, but not quite sure who I''m watching yet !!
Anyhoo, Football 365 have done atop ten players to watch - its another great shop window for players like the euros - would we be tempted on any of these ......?
http://www.football365.com/topical-top-10/7928433/Top-Ten-Players-To-Watch-At-The-Olympics

[/quote]

No !

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="NWC"]I know there are no city players, but is anyone looking forward to it?
I think I am probably more than the euros - got some tickets for "all traffic" as well, but not quite sure who I''m watching yet !!
Anyhoo, Football 365 have done atop ten players to watch - its another great shop window for players like the euros - would we be tempted on any of these ......?
http://www.football365.com/topical-top-10/7928433/Top-Ten-Players-To-Watch-At-The-Olympics

[/quote]

No !

[/quote]

Why not? Some of the best players in the world will be playing? And it isn''t like any of them have turned up just for a laugh.

The Olympics is an often maligned football tournament but you only have to watch some of Messi''s performances from 2008 or 2004 to realise that people are taking it seriously. Team GB is a little bit of a side show but just look at the squads Brazil, Uraguay and Spain have put out - there is no messing around with those.

BYG is right that there are some counties, especialy the south american counties that use the olympics very well, building squads for the future and the senior sides of spain, brazil, argentina definately see the benefits. Ive often thought that it would be good to enter the english under 21''s squad as a GB side but no doubt the scottish and welsh FA would kick up about it, even though they dont want to enter players anyway. There are however just too many footballing nations absent from the games to take it seriously which is a shame because it could potentially be a much better tournement than the ''proper'' under21''s tournements which are taken seriously.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="NWC"]I know there are no city players...[/quote]

Brilliant excuse for posting it here then.

[/quote]Heaven forbid you could be bothered to read all of the post before passing one of your infantile swipes....."Anyhoo, Football 365 have done atop ten players to watch - its another

great shop window for players like the euros - would we be tempted on

any of these ......?
"There we go, I''ve put it in bold for you. Is that OK? Thanks.

Pearce picked the wrong players, omitted Beckham, selected Richards who conceded penalty in Brazil friendly. I will watch it for Brazil but GB could well be humiliated IMO.   

Back to the Anthem, did you know there was an extended anthem for the games? words below:

Verse one

God save our gracious Queen!

Long live our noble Queen!

God save the Queen!

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us,

God save the Queen.

Verse two

Thy choicest gifts in store

On her be pleased to pour,

Long may she reign.

May she defend our laws,

And give us ever cause,

To sing with heart and voice,

God save the Queen.

So there you have it folks, the extended version you all need to know. Keep calm and carry on singing.

I''d be more inclined to watch the football if GB were not in it.   A farcical token gesture by GB to put a team out.   Wrong manager, wrong players, wrong countries (should have been equal numbers from each home nation, or not at all).  In short a joke.  If  they couldn''t get it right, they should have just left it alone.   

No, terrible manager and terrible team choice. The team was picked to win favour not to win the tournament. Ryan Giggs? Enough said.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

I''d be more inclined to watch the football if GB were not in it.   A farcical token gesture by GB to put a team out.   Wrong manager, wrong players, wrong countries (should have been equal numbers from each home nation, or not at all).  In short a joke.  If  they couldn''t get it right, they should have just left it alone.   

[/quote]

Surely having a team of players selected to ''tick boxes'' would have been even more farcical than allowing a manager to pick who he wants regardless of nationality. Anyway, your plan would mean having 4.5 players from each of Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Surely having a team of players selected to ''tick boxes'' would have been even more farcical than allowing a manager to pick who he wants regardless of nationality. Anyway, your plan would mean having 4.5 players from each of Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

[/quote]

I''m  half English/half Scottish.  I''m sure we could find some half -English, half -Scottish players, or half Welsh, or half Irish??  [:^)]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m  half English/half Scottish.  I''m sure we could find some half -English, half -Scottish players, or half Welsh, or half Irish??  [:^)]

[/quote]

None of the other GB teams in the Olympics (i.e. hockey, water polo, basketball etc etc etc) restrict themselves by having equal quota''s from all 4 home nations, they all pick the best players/athletes available, what makes to say the football team should be different LDC?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

It''s a joke, Bale not injured, and GB have no chance of winning.

[/quote]

Why does that make it a joke? England had no chance of winning the Euros or World Cup but people wouldn''t have describe the tournaments as a joke, just England.

I suggest tuning into the Spain v Japan game - some great quality on show.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I''m  half English/half Scottish.  I''m sure we could find some half -English, half -Scottish players, or half Welsh, or half Irish??  [:^)][/quote]Racist!

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

None of the other GB teams in the Olympics (i.e. hockey, water polo, basketball etc etc etc) restrict themselves by having equal quota''s from all 4 home nations, they all pick the best players/athletes available, what makes to say the football team should be different LDC?

[/quote]

Hmm...good point.  [:)]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We might have been better to go with a group of halfwits. I''m sure they are available in abundance. Further, when the bubble bursts they would not have the sense to know what hit them and we could all have a good laugh.

Fantastic result by Japan to beat Spain.In fact Spain were lucky, with smarter finishing Japan could have had at least 3 more.

I''m watching the football, also athletics, cycling, triathlon, swimming, boxing and many more and I''ll be supporting the British teams all the way !

[quote user="NWC"]Fantastic result by Japan to beat Spain.In fact Spain were lucky, with smarter finishing Japan could have had at least 3 more.[/quote]It was indeed an incredible result - especially considering Japan haven''t picked two of their best young players in Kagawa and Miyaichi. They also only selected 2 overage players out of a possible 3.

Check out the Uruguay vs UAE on now, Omar abdulrahman looks a very good player and still in his homeland!!

[quote user="NWC"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="NWC"]I know there are no city players...

[/quote]

Brilliant excuse for posting it here then.

[/quote]

Heaven forbid you could be bothered to read all of the post before passing one of your infantile swipes.....

"Anyhoo, Football 365 have done atop ten players to watch - its another great shop window for players like the euros - would we be tempted on any of these ......?"

There we go, I''ve put it in bold for you. Is that OK? Thanks.
[/quote]

It''s not even a tenuous link you buffoon.

Pathetic attention seeking at best.