Sign in to follow this  
Kojak

Opening ceremony

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

kick it off, the reason you were doing so much better earlier when you defended me for simply stating my opinion on the opening ceremonies was because you expressed what you had to say in a cool, objective manner.

Now, on this latest input you lose all such objectivity and allow your emotions to influence your input by claiming what I say is absolute bull. If you read again what I responded to Bethnal with and then think about it ( for a second or two ) you will see that I refute Bethnal''s input ( regarding Romney having a foot in the mouth problem every time he speaks ) with the fact that Romney demonstrated exactly the opposite in a very long campaign for the Republican leadership, and certainly far better than any other candidate. You then say I infer that Obama is universally unpopular inside the USA. I inferred no such thing. I said he does not enjoy the popularity here that he apparently does outside our country. The major respected polls currently have a very close situation between the two candidates. However, on a daily basis the liberal news media are constantly citing more random and less respected random polls based upon questions skewed in favour of Obama. All of what I just stated are facts, not bull. Now moving away from that, to my opinion, I clearly want a change in government. We simply cannot afford what this President has undertaken. During his first term in office he is spending more than $40,000 of every single second that goes by than the government generates in income. This is not only my children''s future being mortgaged, but my grandchildren''s also. If he was the leader of any major corporation he would have been fired well before now on that one fact alone. 

In closing, a couple of thoughts for you. I am always surprised at  the obsession that many seem to have with American poitics. I was born and grew up in England but, while I cast an occasional glance at various columns on the British scene, frankly it does not go beyond that. Why should it? I don''t vote in your country and I don''t have to pay taxes based upon the choices you make.

Finally, with respect to your concerns about the loss of non-Jewish blood in the middle east. Blood is blood, whether it''s Jewish or otherwise. The region is obviously affected by outside influences by the amount of oil it sits on. However, quite apart from that, if you want a good history lesson on the tribal differences that exists in the region then may I suggest you read "Seven Pillars Of Wisdom" by your very own T.E. Lawrence.  

[/quote]
Quite right on your point about objectivity Yankee, it was late and I was commenting emotively, although I think some of your phrasing was a little ambiguous, I certainly jumped the gun in my response after misinterpreting your wording.
Your opinion is yours and yours alone, and you are fully entitled to it, and obviously I recognise what you''re saying with regards to the economy, but if you contextualise it a little, Obama didn''t exactly inherit the financial bed of roses to begin with. As I say, I don''t agree with everything he has done, certainly not on the economic front and he has certainly made some mistakes, but Romney''s European tour was gaffe after gaffe, including a particularly offensive one to the Polish people which entrenched my dislike of him further, contributing to the emotive response last night.
You say Romney demonstrated his qualities during a long primary campaign, but firstly look at the opposition. Hardly high calibre candidates, with only Sanotorum providing any remotely credible alternative. Secondly his primary campaign, although not totally overwhelmed by gaffes, certainly featured an significant number of prominent ones such as the etch-a-sketch moment (although this was not Romney, it was one of his top aides and certainly provided ammunition to the Democrats - in the glare and scrutiny of a full presidential campaign, mistakes like that will cost you)... the infamous "I like being able to fire people who provide services to me" and "I''m not concerned about the very poor" quotes rounded off by claiming $374,000 he made from Speech Appearances was "not very much money".  This series of high profile gaffes doesn''t lend much credence to your claim that he was virtually gaffe free in the primary campaign, in fact it supports the notion that he is prone to foot-in-mouth syndrome.
In response to your closing quotes, the reason I am so interested in American politics is I just graduated a degree in International Relations and given America''s role in the world society, it is obviously a prominent feature in the geo-political landscape. As for the rest of the world, I would assume it is America''s place in world standing, leading of global military interventions, and various other factors such as the notion of the "American dream" etc.
I take your point about taxes etc meaning you have more right to an opinion, but that''s very simplistic given the American foreign policy machinations. Like it or not, USA is a dominant global force and therefore not only is it interesting to outside observers, American leadership doesn''t just affect American lives, it directly affects the lives of millions across the globe, so in my opinion it is only right that it comes under international scrutiny. To be candid, various American administrations have utilised the CIA to try and overthrow FIFTY democratically elected governments across the world since 1945. FIFTY in 67 years. The real question is why wouldn''t the world be obsessed with American politics?
I agree blood is blood, I wasn''t trying to make any value judgement on the value of one life vs another, I merely meant that if Romney gets in to power, there will be a lot of blood spilt and most of it will be Arab. The disgraceful unwavering support for Israel from the US is bad enough already, and will only make for a worse situation in the Middle East with Romney in charge. I have resigned myself to the fact we will NEVER see peace in the Middle East, and the blame for that lies solely with America and their totally shameful bias in the peace process and their refusal to let anyone else actually try and broker peace. The only way we would ever see peace is if the Arab League of Nations stopped bickering amongst themselves (perpetuated by the US to ensure there is no united Islamic council) and kicked the USA the hell out of the region (where they have no right to be, and no right to intervene in regional politics anyway), but I can''t see that happening in my life time for sure.

Yankee - when you say ''Liberal media'' do you bascially mean all media apart from Fox?

AP, Reuters, Kyodo and Bloomberg have all called him ''gaffe-prone'' and cite Obama beating him in the opinion polls. But I suppose next to Cain he is the height of respectability.

Anyway, enough of this American politics chatter - it is pervasive enough in all our lives let alone on a website dedicated to Norwich City. I''m sure we will never change each other''s opinions so let''s not get into a long arguement trying. I know I got involved first, but only wished to point out Romney wasn''t just having a dig at Olympic security - which is why everyone got so upset.

Good day

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Yankee - when you say ''Liberal media'' do you bascially mean all media apart from Fox?

AP, Reuters, Kyodo and Bloomberg have all called him ''gaffe-prone'' and cite Obama beating him in the opinion polls. But I suppose next to Cain he is the height of respectability.

Anyway, enough of this American politics chatter - it is pervasive enough in all our lives let alone on a website dedicated to Norwich City. I''m sure we will never change each other''s opinions so let''s not get into a long arguement trying. I know I got involved first, but only wished to point out Romney wasn''t just having a dig at Olympic security - which is why everyone got so upset.

Good day

[/quote]

I agree.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]
Exactly what I was saying about this GOP media-bias spin being nothing more than a smokescreen for a weak candidate. It''s just a tool to coccoon themselves from the reality that he is unelectable. Doubtless if/when he loses in November, there will be a lot of bleating about the media handing Obama the win.

He did a pretty good job running Massachusettes. He did a fantastic job helping companies become more profitable so more of us can afford their products. That is far more important than 10 second news bites aimed to make him look bad. The media was all over him being booed by the NAACP right here in Houston. Watch his entire speech and you''ll see what YC was getting at re:biased media. 99% of the time they applauded him, only when he attacked Obama did they boo, and he didn''t back down or apologize. But the story in the news was how he got booed. It''s like if I got a 99% on an exam and the story was I got 1% wrong. Sensationalist junk.

So you think if there was no outside help for teeny tiny democratic free speech Israel, things would be ok in the Middle East? It''s odd we support Israel which has no oil and yet get involved over there for oil according to the protestors.  

So you want Pres. Obama back for 4 more years of economic stagnation, uninformed emotional responses, and beer summits? Don''t worry. Romney''s policies are not all that right wing. I enjoyed the exchange. Cheers, guys.

As this is the only thread remotely related to an International  sporting event being held in the UK capital city this year that we''re not allowed to mention by name it seems the most relevant place to post the latest of those John Terry pics.[img]http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536662_10150979049253947_495247701_n.jpg[/img]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

So you think if there was no outside help for teeny tiny democratic free speech Israel, things would be ok in the Middle East? It''s odd we support Israel which has no oil and yet get involved over there for oil according to the protestors.  

[/quote]
You''re entitled to your opinions on the rest of the post, but this is nonsense. USA supporting Israel has absolutely nothing to do with oil except to keep yourselves a foothold in the region. It has everything to do with AIPAC''s framework of influence in your "democratic" process. 
Democratic free speech Israel? LOL You have absolutely no idea what you''re talking about. Palestine;s democracy is controlled by the USA and Israel and Israel is the one denying the Palestinians free speech. That''ll be the same nation that has turned Palestine into the world''s largest concentration camp and denies them free speech, along with medical care and supplies, civil liberties, electricity, food, clean water whilst stealing their land and murdering their citizens every time they think they can get away with it, supported by the USA. 
I think the Middle East would be better if America and the British hadn''t conspired to rob Palestinian people of their own country in 1947 and create a false nation, the only state in the world based on religion actually, but yes, I think in more direct response your question, the UN should mediate things, the US has proven repeatedly it is incapable of being impartial but USA won''t step aside because any neutral authority would immediately stop Israel abusing human rights and massacring civilians, and by monopolising the "peace process" and  turning a blind eye to Israel''s behaviour the US can further America''s foreign policy ideals in the region by maintaining a massive military force in the Middle East.
I''m not going to argue this point any further, because you''re clearly not going to agree, but my god, just open your eyes. Even the Jews don''t support Israel''s actions, it''s only the Zionists and the brainwashed Americans who are too indoctrinated and dumb to notice what''s really going on. 
PS Before you play the Hamas terrorism card, they are only terrorists because USA deems them so and used their influence with world organisations to have them recognised as such by these global institutions in a bid to put further obstacles in the way of the Palestinians and give Israel yet another "helping hand". Look at the death tolls and the living conditions, look at who has killed the most civilians, look at who deliberately targets them, look at the side that is using chemical warfare and breaking international law left, right and centre. The only terrorists to be seen are the ones wearing Israeli fatigues and firing US weapons and tanks at innocent children.
Reply if you want, but I won''t be re-visiting this thread so won''t see it, the ignorance of Americans who blindly swallow everything they''re told about Israel and actually think the Palestinians want to be in this fight make me incredibly angry. They fight because they are oppressed, not because they have a burning desire to do battle with light arms against the 4th largest military in the world. Jews and Muslims lived peacefully together in that region until 1947, so it''s not the historical religious war that your Americanised propaganda will have you believing either.  Seriously, do some research, read some books or something.

It''s been perfect so far and the images of London portrayed to the World, such as shown during the Triathlon today will benefit tourism for years to come.

All the whingeing shopkeepers and restaurant owners etc. who have complained that their businesses have been stifled will then benefit. Surely they realise this?

The Triathlon is a tough event and all the competitors who go through the swimming and cycling knowing that their running is weak clearly put themselves through it for pride only.

It has to be a warm day though as they must be soaked and uncomfortable coming out of the swim to sit on a saddle for half an hour or more. Why isn''t the swimming last?

Some nice bums though.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Some nice bums though.[/quote]

Ladies Triple Jump - I think her name was Sandi Krevice!!!

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/34zykxj.jpg[/IMG]