Sign in to follow this  
AndyCanary

Ruddy signs 4 year deal with club!

NORWICH City goalkeeper John Ruddy has rounded off a successful year by committing his future to the Canaries and signing a new four-year contract, with the Club having a further option to keep him at Carrow Road until 2017.Ruddy joins fellow City players Russell Martin and Andrew Surman in showing their commitment to the Club ahead of the new 2012-13 Barclays Premier League season by signing a new deal.The 25-year-old joined City from Everton for an undisclosed fee in July 2010, and was instrumental in getting Norwich to the Premier League in 2010-11, and once again rose to the occasion last season to help the Club finish a sensational 12th on their return to the top-flight.His match-winning performances earned him second-place in the 2011-12 Player of the Season awards and a call-up to Roy Hodgson''s first England squad for Euro 2012, although he was forced to withdraw due to an injury picked up in training with the squad.John Ruddy in action against Aston VillaNEW DEAL: Ruddy was one of City''s star performers last season.Speaking exclusively to Canaries Player, Ruddy said: "I''m delighted. I have never wanted to leave Norwich since I''ve been here. I''ve had a great two years so far, and I can''t wait to be a part of it for the next four years."I love the atmosphere around the place and it''s a fantastic Club to play for. We''ve a new Manager coming in too, who I''m looking forward to working with."The main thing for me is that my family are really settled here as well. My lad starts school in September, so it''s nice to get a bit of security for them too."It''s been a non-stop rollercoaster since I joined, with a lot more highs than lows, thankfully, and hopefully that will continue over the course of the next four years."City boss Chris Hughton added: "I am delighted to have secured John''s future at the Club for a further four years. He has been a key part of the Club since he has arrived."He has made some fantastic progress over the past couple of years here and is an integral part of the Club''s future."His great work over the past couple of years has seen him work his way into the England squad with his call-up this summer and hopefully he can continue his great progress now for years to come."John Ruddy 320INTERNATIONAL: Ruddy was called up to Roy Hodgson''s Euro 2012 squad.Ruddy began his career at Cambridge United, where he made his debut in a 1-0 win at Leyton Orient in May 2004, and went on to appear 43 times for the club before moving to Everton for £250,000 in 2005.The St Ives-born Ruddy made his Everton bow in dramatic circumstances - coming on as a ninth-minute substitute for James McFadden after ''keeper Iain Turner, who himself was deputising for the injured Nigel Martyn and Richard Wright, got sent off. He went on to keep a clean sheet in the 1-0 win over Blackburn Rovers.A succession of loan spells followed for the 6ft 4in stopper, at Walsall, Rushden and Diamonds, Chester, Stockport County, Wrexham, Bristol City, Stockport County again, Crewe Alexandra, and finally Motherwell.Ruddy spent the 2009-10 season on-loan to the Scottish Premier League side, helping them to fifth position in the league, and keeping clean sheets against both Celtic and Rangers.His performances there impressed former manager Paul Lambert enough to bring the big ''keeper to Carrow Road, and he hasn''t looked back since.

Always felt he would sign a long term deal once he came back from holiday. I think the club is a perfect fit for him on both a personal and professional level.

Sorry Andy I didnt see your thread [:$]

Great news for us,

It''s 4 years + 1 extra year if WE want it.. Remember Ruddy has just got married and has a young family.. So that means they''re going to settle here and by the time the contract has expired he''d have lived here for 6/7 years. Keepers are like fine wines they get better with age so this could turn out to be the best bit of business the club has ever done.As long as we keep trying to move forward Ruddy is going to find it really hard to move on from Norwich after his family have settled! [:)]

[quote user="Shaker Maker"][quote user="Spanner"]Great news :) captain?[/quote]I''d give it to Howson.[/quote]I like the sentiment but I''ve never been a fan of having Goalkeepers as captains.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]What do you folks thinks this means for the careers of Rudd and Steer?

Four years is a long contract in footballing terms.[/quote]Very good question.. You''re right 4 years is a long time especially considering as goalkeepers there is only 1 spot they are all playing for.I guess on our side is that they''re young players and keepers have long careers.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Great news. Carrying on the fine tradition of great goalkeepers at this club (with the odd exception!!)

Nethercott, Kennon, Keelan, Woods, Gunn, Green, Ruddy.  

Not bad.

[/quote]Shame on you for forgetting Theoklitos....[:D]

Despite winning plenty of plaudits last season, I was interested to discover recently that Vorm only made one more save than John Ruddy, and the only keeper that made more than the pair of them was Hennessey.

Ruddy can only get better, he is an integral part of Norwich City''s continued success.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Just shows the sort of rubbish the papers print.........it''ll cost Mr Lambert a fair few quid if he wants him now.Well done NCFC[/quote]Well Southampton have had a £6 million bid for Butland turned down so what does that make Ruddy worth ? must be eye popping figures. If the likes of Rodriguez and Butland are worth £6 million then surely Naughton is a snip at the same price.

[quote user="unique"]Despite winning plenty of plaudits last season, I was interested to discover recently that Vorm only made one more save than John Ruddy, and the only keeper that made more than the pair of them was Hennessey. Ruddy can only get better, he is an integral part of Norwich City''s continued success.[/quote]

Just taking a single statistic (number of saves) as a judge of how good a goalkeeper is is misguided.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="unique"]Despite winning plenty of plaudits last season, I was interested to discover recently that Vorm only made one more save than John Ruddy, and the only keeper that made more than the pair of them was Hennessey. Ruddy can only get better, he is an integral part of Norwich City''s continued success.[/quote]

Just taking a single statistic (number of saves) as a judge of how good a goalkeeper is is misguided.

[/quote]agreed, the number of people you hear say "but he''s a great shot stopper!" as praise for a goalkeeper.... well of course he is or he wouldnt be in bloody goal! he needs to be a leader, able to communicate, command his area, his balance, positioning, awareness and concentration all need to be tip top.he needs to be able to distribute a ball, be agile and physically strong....Goalkeepers probably work harder than any other player in training.. you have 4 or 5 midfielders, 2 or 3 strikers... but only 1 goalie... the most important player on the team so he has to be up to it... we can all stand in goal have the ball hit us in the face and be a "Shot stopper" but that isnt what a goalkeeper is there for.