Sign in to follow this  
pete

Still a striker/forward light

Great news re Grant, however we still need a forward to replace Wilbers, won''t be able to replace him with £100k.  If Vaughan stays fit which may be questionable and we get away with injuries again perhaps could get away with front 4.  But need another body on board, Wickham on loan a possibility but could Pacheco fill this spot?  Any realistic suggestions on any bargains.  Unfortunately Leon Best at £3m not available or is that good news I think so.

Pacheco is a good shout. He has real pedigree coming from Barca and U21''s in Spain. He''d fit in well as he seems to have a great attitude.I''d love him here.

I always find it weird that many of our fans think we need a new striker... we scored goals for fun last year and already have one of the top scorers at the club.We have Holt, Morison, Vaughan, Jackson and Chris Martin on the books. We only need another one if one of those goes or is injured long term. Granted theres question marks over Vaughans fitness and whether Martin (and to an extent Jackson) can cut it, but while they are at the club I can''t see us getting yet another striker it. Also, with the quality of our midfield and the "fashion" of no strikers ala Spain, CH may only play 1 up front next season as far as we know.The position we *need* to strengthen is left back. Then possibly defensive midfield (personally think the lack if a makelele type was a big part of our defensive issues last year) and then wings (no cover for Pilks/Bennet at the mo''). Others will argue that we need a CB, but personally don''t think we do (Ayala & Bennett will be like a new signings)... but would sign another quality CB before a striker.

[quote user="colneycanary"]Matt Jarvis from wolves. Yes he would cost quite a bit. But we haven''t spent much so far on the deals weve done so far.[/quote]Jarvis  is a winger and not a striker, but I''d love him here. Quality player. Though transfer fee & wages would be out of reach... he''d also be a luxery considering we have Pilks (as per my previous post, I think we need a winger, but more as back up).

I think we''re fine in this area although I wouldn''t mind Pacheco coming in to give us a different option if he was well priced.Chris Martin is surely taking the place of Wilbraham and should be given the same chances he was at this level to perform when needed.

I think we should buy pacheco on a permanent transfer from Liverpool and sell Chris Martin personally. I am completely guessing here but I would think say 600-700k for Chris martin and say 2million for Pacheco would a rough estimate. If I was anywhere close there, I think getting Pacheco over Martin for 1.3million would be awesome business. The difference in quality is mental!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I think we''re fine in this area although I wouldn''t mind Pacheco coming in to give us a different option if he was well priced.Chris Martin is surely taking the place of Wilbraham and should be given the same chances he was at this level to perform when needed.[/quote]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I think we''re fine in this area although I wouldn''t mind Pacheco coming in to give us a different option if he was well priced.

Chris Martin is surely taking the place of Wilbraham and should be given the same chances he was at this level to perform when needed.
[/quote]

Chris Martin has a mountain to climb to prove himself imo.   Wilbers showed so much pace, passion and courage last season.   When Martin played early in the season he looked lack lustre, slow and lacking in spirit.     Thats presumably why he was shipped out.    

Replacement for Wilbraham?   He''s got his work cut out..........

I''m not so sure this is an area that we need to be concentrating on yet. We scored plenty of goals last year, but conceded far too many. That says to me we need to sort out the defence first.We have a strong midfield base - fantastic - that can only help in chipping in with a few goals but importantly, help assist those we have upfront already. I understand that we aren''t exactly extra strong up front, but Morro, Holt, Jackson, Vaughan appears to be enough for the moment to cope well enough. Our focus should be on our back line - we need to be able to defend and be able to keep the ball before we can think about shooting and scoring. Once that area is adequately dealt with, we can then move on to the forward area - even if that does mean January - I strongly believe that going forward we will be ok. The worry is defending.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I think we''re fine in this area although I wouldn''t mind Pacheco coming in to give us a different option if he was well priced.

Chris Martin is surely taking the place of Wilbraham and should be given the same chances he was at this level to perform when needed.
[/quote]

Chris Martin has a mountain to climb to prove himself imo.   Wilbers showed so much pace, passion and courage last season.   When Martin played early in the season he looked lack lustre, slow and lacking in spirit.     Thats presumably why he was shipped out.    

Replacement for Wilbraham?   He''s got his work cut out..........

[/quote]

Neither is, was or will be a mid-table Premier League striker. Nor is Jackson. Vaughan cannot be relied upon. Unless we are going to play Spanish-style all the time, with one striker or none, and several attacking midfielders (of which we now have a few), we need another goalscorer.

Would like to see another striker brought in and one that will start . Holt,Morison,Jackson and Vaughan , that has to be one of the weakest striking line ups in the Premiership.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Would like to see another striker brought in and one that will start . Holt,Morison,Jackson and Vaughan , that has to be one of the weakest striking line ups in the Premiership.[/quote]It probably is, but how many goals did we score last year? I admit a new starting striker would be nice, but I feel our focus, for the moment, could be better used for the defence - not that I would complain if our next signing was a striker.

The key problem is that we can''t really afford to have a high quality player just sitting on the bench just in case of injuries/form etc.Having a fit Vaughan will be like having a new signing (although we said this last year), and whilst Jackson has badly struggled for goals at this level, his work rate and attitude have helped those around him.I don''t think Pacheco would cost more than about 1 mil, and Liverpool are likely to be willing to offload as he won''t get anywhere near their first team for the forseeable future.I still think Martin can prove himself at this level, and as he''d be a squad backup anyway I don''t get the rush to offload him.The idea of playing a lone striker and bulking up the midfield sounds good in theory, especially now that Butterfield is on the books, but I also think that CH is more a of 4-4-1-1 (or 4-4-2) man so is unlikely to adopt this idea.I''d argue that Holt and Morison is one of the stronger combinations outside of the big boys, Vaughan is potentially also a good option, and Jackson and Martin aren''t awful either. I''d rather have these 5 than setups such as Sunderland''s 3 of Wickham, Campbell and Dong-Won, and Villa''s 4 of Bent, Agbonlahor, Delfouneso and Weimann (Bent is the only consistent performer)...

[quote user="Ncfc"]Would like to see another striker brought in and one that will start . Holt,Morison,Jackson and Vaughan , that has to be one of the weakest striking line ups in the Premiership.[/quote]It probably is, but how many goals did we score last year? I admit a new starting striker would be nice, but I feel our focus, for the moment, could be better used for the defence - not that I would complain if our next signing was a striker.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Chris Martin has a mountain to climb to prove himself imo.   Wilbers showed so much pace, passion and courage last season.   When Martin played early in the season he looked lack lustre, slow and lacking in spirit.     Thats presumably why he was shipped out. Replacement for Wilbraham?   He''s got his work cut out..........

[/quote]

Neither is, was or will be a mid-table Premier League striker. Nor is Jackson. Vaughan cannot be relied upon. Unless we are going to play Spanish-style all the time, with one striker or none, and several attacking midfielders (of which we now have a few), we need another goalscorer.

[/quote]

Who scored all the goals last season?   Mainly  Holt & Morison - the others chipped in an scored afew - including Jackson (on very limited opportunities).    Those three plus a fit Vaughan should be enough.     Another squad striker would be useful as extra back up, but not necessarily a ''big money'' striker.      If Martin stays, he could be the fifth striker, but if the main strikers stay fit we will score goals again next season- perhaps more - after all, the midfield has been strengthened...................

We need to improve on each department, you cannot be complacent in regard to strikers either.Right now we need that number two striker. Jackson and Martin are not good enough.Morison and Vaughan will be fighting for that starting place, but Holty doesn''t score in 6-7 games they will stand a chance of starting. We need that fresh striker who has the potential to be a better striker than Holty. We need that as if Holty get injured and one of our other strikers did then we would be in an awful position.We would be in an awful position you could not have Jackson and Martin playing upfront for most of the season and say we didn''t need to bring in another striker.We need that right back, centre half, central midfield, winger and striker. But we also have picked up guys without a genuine transfer fee.

Agreed Wiz. Great news regarding Holt but if he was to be injured at the beginning of the season there''s not enough goals among Morison, Jackson and Martin - difficult to judge regarding Vaughan, let''s hope his fitness is better next season.

Defence is where we really need strengthening in depth I hope we spend much of our transfer budget here - I hope I''m wrong but simply can''t see us repeating our goals tally again next season so we need to stop a few more! In my view we still need LB, RB, CH potential starters to provide real competition in these positions.

Someone with abit more pace than what we have could be very useful, even if it''s off the bench. LB has to be a priority now though i would have thought as that''s where we seem to have a glaring hole now Drury has gone and with Tierney''s injury. Then i guess it''ll be about players who actually improve on what we''ve already got.

I think we are definitely several players light...the links to guys like Burke and Davies are still there, as are others. We may well have a couple of guys leave as well - there could still be plenty of dealing going on before the start of the season.

If we dont sell or loan any of our strikers, we do not need more strikers. Simple as that.

If Martin leaves, we should take someone low profile young talent, but before more important spots have been filled I dont want to see high profile striker.

Imo we should concentrate getting RW who is used to cut into the middle and can make goals.

Someone similar to Pilkington who has played striker, but is more comfortable as a winger. This way we get two flies in one hit.

Would love to see Snodgrass, but as rumours have gone down since our ex manager left so hard to say what will happen with him.

4 strikers (If Martin leaves) with Pilkington and this other winger who can play striker should be more than enough. Check how many strikers bigger teams have in their 25 players.

[quote user="Lavanche"]If we dont sell or loan any of our strikers, we do not need more strikers. Simple as that.

If Martin leaves, we should take someone low profile young talent, but before more important spots have been filled I dont want to see high profile striker.

Imo we should concentrate getting RW who is used to cut into the middle and can make goals.

Someone similar to Pilkington who has played striker, but is more comfortable as a winger. This way we get two flies in one hit.

Would love to see Snodgrass, but as rumours have gone down since our ex manager left so hard to say what will happen with him.

4 strikers (If Martin leaves) with Pilkington and this other winger who can play striker should be more than enough. Check how many strikers bigger teams have in their 25 players.[/quote]Could not disagree more about the strikers , Vaughan will more likely than not be injured most of the season (he always is ) Jackson is never going to score many in the top flight and Morison was so bad most of last season that most City fans were wanting him sold in the summer , Chris Martin see Jackson but even more so . So really most of our striking eggs are in the Holt basket , approaching 32 years of age , will he ever have another season like last year ? imo no .I believe City need to go out and spend a decent chunk of this biggest ever kitty on a decent young striker and while they are at it they should go get Kyle Naughton from Spurs before he ends up at Villa , no point having your biggest ever kitty if you are scared to spend it .

I''m very happy to have Holt and Morrison ,like last season most of the time give one 70 minutes then let the other loose,it worked well.After that I feel we are very lacking ,as stated before Vaughan is more than likely to be injured most of the season,fingers crossed he isn''t as he looks class from what i''ve seen.Jackson and Martin are simply not good enough at this level in my opinion.
Forwards as we all know are the most expensive players to buy ,so getting someone in that will accept our wages, that we can afford will be tough , the likes of Shane long would be great ,but I can''t see for one minute we would get him.I''m really struggling to think of someone that would fit the bill, but if I knew that I would be on 20k a week managing Norwich :-).

Last season we had to score two goals a game because we conceded in almost every game. We had to score goals, are game played to that. But we also scored more headed goals than any other team.We have to get the ball out quickly to our wingers (or slower wider players) who get to the byline and put the balls in the box. I will say it again with Morison and Holty we have the best striker force in the prem. in the air... all central defensive partnership are aware of this and we need to play to that.But I do think we need another striker Vaughan, Martin and Jackson are back up... Vaughan if fit can have a great season has the pace of Jackson but much more quality... but there is no question another striker is needed... Many of you lot are saying that Martin is more of a midfielder... we need that fresh striker and I am certain we will bring one in. We cannot be complacent, we need pace and a direct forward. A striker who can take chances from distance and one that makes the rest of the lower premier league take notice.Central defender, central midfielder, centre forward, winger and full back are still the positions that need to be filled.