Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

LAMBERT A CLEVER MAN

TOOK OVER US AT OUR LOWEST POINT.3YEARS WITHOUT ANY PRESURE.GOING TO BE DIFFICULT TO FINISH HIGHER THAN 12TH NEXT SEASON.NOW GOING TO VILLA WHO ARE AT THEIR LOWEST POINT FOR YEARS . ANY HALF DECENT MANAGER IS GOING TO IMPROVE THEM ON LAST SEASON LAMBERT ON A WIN WIN SITUATION.THERE IS NO WAT LAMBERT WOULD HAVE GONE TO LIVERPOOL CHELSEA TO MUCH EXPECTED         CLEVER OR COWARD?????

[quote user="stoke canary"]TOOK OVER US AT OUR LOWEST POINT.3YEARS WITHOUT ANY PRESURE.GOING TO BE DIFFICULT TO FINISH HIGHER THAN 12TH NEXT SEASON.NOW GOING TO VILLA WHO ARE AT THEIR LOWEST POINT FOR YEARS . ANY HALF DECENT MANAGER IS GOING TO IMPROVE THEM ON LAST SEASON LAMBERT ON A WIN WIN SITUATION.THERE IS NO WAT LAMBERT WOULD HAVE GONE TO LIVERPOOL CHELSEA TO MUCH EXPECTED         CLEVER OR COWARD?????[/quote]

coward.....if he doesnt think he can improve on last season, then that''s an admission of his own mis-givings and shortcomings on his own management.

Clever. Reminds me of Harry Redknapp, knows when to get out when his stock is at its highest. Lambert knows full well that fans can turn on a manager within a matter of weeks, you only need to remember what happened to Nigel Worthington to know that managers can go from hero to zero in no time at all. So given how fans in general treat managers (See Kean, McCarthy etc) I dont blame him at all. As you say, he took us over at our lowest ebb in recent memory, and he will do the same with Villa.

I agree with Trent, Villa have potential. We are fighting above our weight financially and without extra investment, how far can this club go? We are a club who this year got our position through good play, but it is the worst premiership for a number of years. He can bring Villa on a little and have experience at dealing with egos etc. He will move on from Villa, I can see Europe being a very attractive option.It is the right and clever move for Lambert.

I think a lot of people have got to stop thinking that Norwich City means anything more to staff and players at the club than a place to earn a wage. Moving on is just a change of employer, not a change of deep seated loyalties as it would be for a ''fan''.Lambert sees Aston Villa as his next challenge on his way up the ladder.... and after Villa there will be another one. He has done an amazing job during his time here and we should just accept what we have and try to build on it with another manager.Norwich City is not glamour and glitz to anyone other than it''s support looking in and rather like seeing your beautiful girlfriend sat on the toilet taking a dump... the mystery of it all is gone.

It is interesting that he is taking on another club at a low ebb.  Leave a successful club to go to an ailing one.   Still in the premiership - but as has been said - can only get better (or be relegated) .    I guess it''s no surprise but I can see why he is doing this.    Each time a slightly bigger club.  Two or three years at  Villa then move up to another slightly bigger club that may be ailing - Man Utd after Ferguson?  Is he that ambitious?   Who knows.  In one sense I hope he succeeds long term - but in another I hope he finds it tough at Villa - if for no other reason that any club that struggles next season is a help to Norwich.  

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Clever. Reminds me of Harry Redknapp, knows when to get out when his stock is at its highest. Lambert knows full well that fans can turn on a manager within a matter of weeks, you only need to remember what happened to Nigel Worthington to know that managers can go from hero to zero in no time at all. So given how fans in general treat managers (See Kean, McCarthy etc) I dont blame him at all. As you say, he took us over at our lowest ebb in recent memory, and he will do the same with Villa.[/quote]

Spot on.

Flippin'' ''eck. A collector''s item. A Cluck posting that I actually agree with. What''s the world coming to ?

But he''s spot-on this time.

Even if his analogy to girlfiends and toilets is just TOO much information......

Aye, Cluck has hit the nail very squarly on the head.

You don''t have to love the place, the City, the people or the club. You perform to the best of your abilities what you are contracted to do and are renumerated in return. Beginning, middle and end-where you are and who you are with is just a detail.

I live where I live through current circumstances-but feel nothing for the place or the people around me. Its just where I happen to be, theres no attachment. Its no doubt the same for Lambert, Holt (who never made any secret of the fact he was a Carlisle lad and that was where he love and loyalty was) and countless others. Hucks, settling here and loving it was a huge, huge exception-he had countless offers to move on during his time at Norwich but he had made his fortune over many years at the top level and was in a good position to make that decision.

I can''t go with the logic of Holt being "only" on £16k a week or whatever and having to think of his family-there are numerous famillies that get by on that  a year and many more who would love the opportunity. This nonsense about it being a short career as if there is some sort of entitlement that you should make enough out of the game so that, by the time you are 35, 36, you should never have to work again-get over yourselves, find other work-that goes for your ''poor'' children as well who you have to "look after",  yes, of course, its good for them to have something to help out if they go to Uni, get married and after you''re gone-but there seems to be, again, this logic that they should be comfortable for life as well.

There are ex-Norwich players and recent ones who didn''t make a fortune or expect one doing all sorts of jobs, they never expected to have a Utopian lifestyle from the moment they quit-look at Fleckie, working with special needs kids and quietly getting on with his life, no sense of entitlement from him.

I can start to more readily accept why players and managers don''t have the sort of loyalties we have as fans when they stop expecting the fans and clubs for put them in luxury for the rest of their lives-the one reason, the only reason, from what I can deduce, that Holt, fired up by his agent, has kicked up the fuss about. He''ll always have a pot to piss in but he still wants more. Yes you don''t have to be loyal-but no you don''t have to be so obviously, clearly and obscenely greedy either.

But there you go, guess I''m just being naive.

Good post, Shucky. It illustrates that football is very much a priveleged, special circumstances, sort of industry.

In pretty much any other area you can name, if the dramatis personae act with the greed, crassness and lack of respect for the paying customer as those in football do, they get hounded and pilloried in the media till kingdom -come. Good recent examples are fat cat industrialists, overpaid underworked top managers,  out of touch politicians/union leaders and bankers.

But, when our hero footballers act like them, nothing is said. In fact they are encouraged to deal in excess.

A strange old world.

I believe it is always better for a manager to go

to a club that is on a low then one that is riding high. The expectation is not

as high and will find it easier to make changes. When a manager takes over from

a popular & successful manager 9 times out of 10 they end in failure. The

fans never believe the new man is as good as the one that has just left and are

more likely to jump on them when things aren''t going well. The players are less

likely to be open to change as they would be used to doing things a certain

way, which was working.
[quote user="Old Shuck"] 

I can''t go with the logic of Holt being "only" on £16k a week or whatever and having to think of his family-there are numerous famillies that get by on that  a year and many more who would love the opportunity. This nonsense about it being a short career as if there is some sort of entitlement that you should make enough out of the game so that, by the time you are 35, 36, you should never have to work again-get over yourselves, find other work-that goes for your ''poor'' children as well who you have to "look after",  yes, of course, its good for them to have something to help out if they go to Uni, get married and after you''re gone-but there seems to be, again, this logic that they should be comfortable for life as well.

[/quote]

The logic is Human Nature. Most people are not satisfied with what they have got and want more. Even the example you gave of Fleck went to Chelsea from Norwich for more money.

Lambert not so clever, he can only improve Villa, who couldn''t.  What would be acceptable to Villa fans/owners, if he thought City fans had high expectations be prepared for sky high expectations top half at least, MON got 6th place 3 seasons on trot.  If he gets Villa mid table in 3 years will not be enough to get a top 6 post, perhaps if he gets a Euro spot maybe.  And what can he do with £25m remember Bent cost £24m + salary, Villa will not accept bargain basement buys have to buy top players and pay them accordingly.  Big egos and players that PL has yet to manage.  Clever I don''t think so.

Good luck to PL for all youve done at our small club, but a step too far methinks. 

Totally agree with the op and cluck, In the cold light of day with a personal agenda to manage a a real big club this is a good move for him. It closes the door on us on his CV leaving it a success story, when he knew next season was going to be tough. He now joins Villa where in all liklelyhood even modest improvment will be hailed as a success. Villa will have to look over their shoulder everytime a big club needs a manager though, even after one season.

Cunning more than clever, looks after Number 1. Think he''ll have time to regret this move though but maybe he''ll be just cunning enough to use it as a stepping stone to other things just as he has done through his career. It''s not big, not clever, just the way it is - not sure football management has ever been any different tbh.

Let''s face it some times the grass isn''t always greener but another club giving you some attention, showing a bit of interest can turn their heads.

Agree with a lot of what has been said. These people (managers and players) are our (shareholders) employees and as long as they deliver the goods we are happy- we can expect no more and no less.The problem comes when the fans create heroes because that can often end in heartbreak.The paying customer can only show their feelings by cheering or booing or ultimately not turning up. If the shareholders think the board has messed up they can show their feelings at the A.G.M. which may not be quite the love-fest this year particularly if the compensation for Lambert''s contract has been fouled up.