Sign in to follow this  
 Zak Van Burger

Compensation for Hughton agreed according to the Telegraph

article"

Hughton will leave St. Andrew''s after less than 12 months to succeed Paul Lambert

at Carrow Road, following lengthy talks between the two clubs over the past

two days.

Norwich have agreed to meet the £2m compensation fee demanded by Birmingham for

Hughton, who guided Blues to the Championship play-offs last season.

His back-room staff, comprising of assistant Colin Calderwood, coach Paul Trollope

and goalkeeping coach Dave Watson will also be moving to East Anglia.

"

The GK coach that is coming with him is the one that Hodgson has called on to help Ray Clemence with England.

Wow, that''s fantastic and exciting, clearly the best candidate in my opinion.

Can anybody tell me though, have we ever paid compensation like this for another manager.

I can''t think of any at this point? 

[quote user="At least Im still here"]article

"

Hughton will leave St. Andrew''s after less than 12 months to succeed Paul Lambert at Carrow Road, following lengthy talks between the two clubs over the past two days.

Norwich have agreed to meet the £2m compensation fee demanded by Birmingham for Hughton, who guided Blues to the Championship play-offs last season.

His back-room staff, comprising of assistant Colin Calderwood, coach Paul Trollope and goalkeeping coach Dave Watson will also be moving to East Anglia.

"
[/quote]

Assuming that figure is right (and it roughly fits in with the figure WBA were supposedly quoted) it emphasises the relevance of the ongoing talks with Villa over compensation for Lambert.

We paid c£500k for Lambert in the end ( part of it a fine), but haven''t normally gone for such a ''big'' name so compensation probably hasn''t been an issue. I guess we should just look on it as a transfer fee; hopefully a fairly large part of it will be offset by £ from Villa.

It sounds crazy, but 2 million is small beer when you''re talking about transfers in the regions of 4 or 5 million per player, plus wages of 10 - 20 k a week.If that 2 million gets you the right man to make the right decisions, it''s money well spent.Hmm -  Hughton is on a rolling 1 year contract isn''t he ?  same as Lambert ? Will Villa effectively be paying our compensation for Hughton ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]It sounds crazy, but 2 million is small beer when you''re talking about transfers in the regions of 4 or 5 million per player, plus wages of 10 - 20 k a week.If that 2 million gets you the right man to make the right decisions, it''s money well spent.Hmm -  Hughton is on a rolling 1 year contract isn''t he ?  same as Lambert ? Will Villa effectively be paying our compensation for Hughton ?[/quote]Thats how I''d like to see it happen.

I suppose if we get that amount from Villa then we have got the best possible result considering the circumstances.

You''d hope so blah, but it seems Hughton''s contract had a clause for a wee bit extra to scare sides off (not sure why £2m is too scary in football in this day and age). Hopefully Villa have stopped playing illy buggers and pay us what is due, and it will part offset our Hughton outlay.

I don''t think Hughton is on a rolling contract.

Neil Lennon and Alan Thompson(previously) from Celtic are on rolling contracts, might be a Scottish thing maybe.

I certainly remeber paying millions like this is compensation but if Villa contributes then happy days.  

[quote user="blahblahblah"]It sounds crazy, but 2 million is small beer when you''re talking about transfers in the regions of 4 or 5 million per player, plus wages of 10 - 20 k a week.

If that 2 million gets you the right man to make the right decisions, it''s money well spent.

Hmm -  Hughton is on a rolling 1 year contract isn''t he ?  same as Lambert ?

Will Villa effectively be paying our compensation for Hughton ?
[/quote]

The figure quoted for what we had agreed (when we hadn''t!) with Villa for Lambert was around £1m. On that basis we would end up around £1m out of pocket. I''m not complaining about that. I think Hughton is a good, safe choice. But there is - on those figures - quite a disparity. We would be paying £2m for a manager (plus his staff?) from the Championship on a one-year rolling contract while Villa would be paying half that for a manager (plus his staff?)  from the PL on a one-year rolling contract. And that is assuming we would get £1m, which is by no means certain.

IF true, was the European search just a smokescreen to put the other clubs in the Prem who are looking for a new manager off the scent?

I really can''t see Holt looking forward to working under Calderwood again.  You would think though, that given things with Holt are smoothed out, that the new manager will play Holt to his strengths.

I am not as cockahoop as some about Hughton, but I will obviously be fully behind him if he is appointed and we could have appointed a lot worse.

Purple, I read that Brum put in an excessive clause to try to scare sides off, after losing McLeish - hence why Hughton would cost more.

If we consider it a transfer fee it isn''t that big an amount given how much our new players are likely to be on!

I love the fact we have dropped this on the day of Lambert''s first press conference. 
The cynic in me would love to believe McNally has done it on purpose.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]It sounds crazy, but 2 million is small beer when you''re talking about transfers in the regions of 4 or 5 million per player, plus wages of 10 - 20 k a week.If that 2 million gets you the right man to make the right decisions, it''s money well spent.Hmm -  Hughton is on a rolling 1 year contract isn''t he ?  same as Lambert ? Will Villa effectively be paying our compensation for Hughton ?[/quote]

The figure quoted for what we had agreed (when we hadn''t!) with Villa for Lambert was around £1m. On that basis we would end up around £1m out of pocket. I''m not complaining about that. I think Hughton is a good, safe choice. But there is - on those figures - quite a disparity. We would be paying £2m for a manager (plus his staff?) from the Championship on a one-year rolling contract while Villa would be paying half that for a manager (plus his staff?)  from the PL on a one-year rolling contract. And that is assuming we would get £1m, which is by no means certain.

[/quote]

I think that compensation package includes not just Hughton but all of the other backroom staff coming with him but I could be wrong. I wonder if he also had a buyout clause in his contract or anything like that? I expect us to be out of pocket from the whole fiasco but if we can get a bit of money for Culverhouse and Karsa then hopefully we have not lost too much money.

If we push this along too it also kicks Villa up the arse to get the compo sorted.

[quote user="morty"]If we push this along too it also kicks Villa up the arse to get the compo sorted.[/quote]it''ll certainly make them look the cheapskate big team impersonators that they really are if we''re done and dusted and paid up and Villa are still trying to get out of paying.

"The figure quoted for what we had agreed (when we

hadn''t!) with Villa for Lambert was around £1m. On that basis we would

end up around £1m out of pocket. I''m not complaining about that. I think

Hughton is a good, safe choice. But there is - on those figures - quite

a disparity. We would be paying £2m for a manager (plus his staff?)

from the Championship on a one-year rolling contract while Villa would

be paying half that for a manager (plus his staff?)  from the PL on a

one-year rolling contract. And that is assuming we would get £1m, which

is by no means certain."Indeed PC - I would guess that McNallys argument to Villa will be "this is how much it has cost us to get this sorted - you pay it or we''ll see you in court / at a tribunal".  But I''m just guessing.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"The figure quoted for what we had agreed (when we hadn''t!) with Villa for Lambert was around £1m. On that basis we would end up around £1m out of pocket. I''m not complaining about that. I think Hughton is a good, safe choice. But there is - on those figures - quite a disparity. We would be paying £2m for a manager (plus his staff?) from the Championship on a one-year rolling contract while Villa would be paying half that for a manager (plus his staff?)  from the PL on a one-year rolling contract. And that is assuming we would get £1m, which is by no means certain."

Indeed PC - I would guess that McNallys argument to Villa will be "this is how much it has cost us to get this sorted - you pay it or we''ll see you in court / at a tribunal".  But I''m just guessing.
[/quote]

blah, I think if I was Villa''s chairman and McNally put that argument to me I would die laughing. It would just show what a weak bargaining position we were in. Not only had we let Lambert go without agreeing compensation, but we had also already found and agreed compensation for his replacement. Trying to link Lambert''s compensation to what we had had to pay Birmingham would just make us look silly.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

Can''t see him keeping Lambert''s squad up next season but think Hughton could well be the man to get us back up again in 2013-4.

[/quote]Seriously?We have the best squad in years, I think with the odd addition, that we have the money for, I think we can do okay.Each to their own though.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

Can''t see him keeping Lambert''s squad up next season but think Hughton could well be the man to get us back up again in 2013-4.

[/quote]

That''s just the sort of positive attitude that''s needed.  

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

[/quote]

Seriously?

We have the best squad in years, I think with the odd addition, that we have the money for, I think we can do okay.

Each to their own though.
[/quote]

I think some of those players who thought they were staying on will unfortunately now be being told they are surplus to requirements.

I wonder if Hughton will be interested in Chris Wood?  Probably not as an immediate starter, but maybe one for the future?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

[/quote]Seriously?We have the best squad in years, I think with the odd addition, that we have the money for, I think we can do okay.Each to their own though.[/quote]

I think some of those players who thought they were staying on will unfortunately now be being told they are surplus to requirements.

I wonder if Hughton will be interested in Chris Wood?  Probably not as an immediate starter, but maybe one for the future?

[/quote]I honestly don''t think theres a lot wrong with our squad as it stands, you can''t keep 25 superstars happy, there will always be players of varying abilities within a squad.I think virtually every player within our squad can "do a job" and this is epitomised for me by the likes of Lappin.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

[/quote]

That''s just the sort of positive attitude that''s needed.  

[/quote]

I''m just being realistic.

Lambert transformed a squad of Championship and League One players into a side capable of Prem survival.

With him gone and minus a bottomless pot of money you have to anticipate our squad struggling even under the very capable management of Hughton.

Reading, QPR and Southampton will splash their of cash and I''m sure Martinez will finally fix Wigan.

For us to survive you have to hope that the Hammers flop and that Swansea and WBA make a couple of dud appointments. I can''t see Sunderland, Stoke or Villa hanging about the bottom 5.

It''s easy to underestimate the significance of Lambert''s influence now he''s gone.

I fully support the new manager and the boys but, in my humble opinion, we should brace ourselves for a far bigger challenge than last year and not be surprised or too disappointed if it''s a stretch too far.

I don''t think anyone underestimates just how difficult next season will be, but writing them off before a ball is even kicked is maybe a little harsh lol!