Sign in to follow this  
 Zak Van Burger

Compensation for Hughton agreed according to the Telegraph

Defensively is where my concerns lie I think Morty. I accept that some of the reason for that high goals against column is because we just play that way and has been offest by the large amount of goals we have scored. But we have also been guilty of some pretty terrible individual and collective errors at times. When you also factor in that our first choice left back has been seriously injured for 6 months and our first choice right back was loanee it does mean we need to sign players in that area. Out of the back 5 at the moment, the only 2 names I would committ to paper and be genuinely happy with are Ruddy and Bennett.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

Can''t see him keeping Lambert''s squad up next season but think Hughton could well be the man to get us back up again in 2013-4.

[/quote]

That''s just the sort of positive attitude that''s needed.  

[/quote]

I''m just being realistic.

Lambert transformed a squad of Championship and League One players into a side capable of Prem survival.

With him gone and minus a bottomless pot of money you have to anticipate our squad struggling even under the very capable management of Hughton.

Reading, QPR and Southampton will splash their of cash and I''m sure Martinez will finally fix Wigan.

For us to survive you have to hope that the Hammers flop and that Swansea and WBA make a couple of dud appointments. I can''t see Sunderland, Stoke or Villa hanging about the bottom 5.

It''s easy to underestimate the significance of Lambert''s influence now he''s gone.

I fully support the new manager and the boys but, in my humble opinion, we should brace ourselves for a far bigger challenge than last year and not be surprised or too disappointed if it''s a stretch too far.

[/quote]

I can see the argument that Lambert had them playing above themselves potentially. But just because you once happened to start your career in League 1 or the Championship doesn''t mean you should be regarded as being of that standard forever. I am admittedly using very extreme examples but Phil Jagielka and Joleon Lescott both had Championship grounding and have subsequently excelled in the Premier League over many years. Joe Hart started life in League 2 and is now arguably the best goalkeeper in the world. I think quite a few of the signings particularly Bennett and Pilks have really showed that they belong at this level and are more than capable of handling it.

I accept that next year will be a massive challenge with 3 very strong promoted sides coming up with money to spend. There are unlikely to be any complete duffers this year like Wolves but we have a strong squad which with some shrewd additions particularly in defence can do well this season. They also have a calm and experienced head to guide them through the tough times when we inevitably lose a few on the trot.