Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Villa Fans

Kicking off in Gt Yarmouth tonight, around a dozen of them have found themselves in a+e so far this evening.

Yeah I went up to Norwich today and there were loads of them on the train, heard them saying they were going to Yarmouth.

I looked on their forum earlier and say loads of posts saying coachloads are going to Yarmouth for the night and stuff, cant really think why :L

It''s not the first time they''ve kicked off in Gt Yarmouth, they did after a match back in the early 80''s, they were smashing up a club on the seafront and the word went round the pubs in the town centre and everyone legged it down there and taught them a lesson, the old bill were bricking it a wouldn''t step foot in the place.

[quote user="Harry"]Kicking off in Gt Yarmouth tonight, around a dozen of them have found themselves in a+e so far this evening.[/quote]I''ll find out tomorrow, my daughter''s doing a night shift.

One of my mates is on the night shift at the Hospital, that''s how I found out.

[quote user="Harry"]One of my mates is on the night shift at the Hospital, that''s how I found out.[/quote]

They should be made to pay for it, say £50.00 each. Why should we foot the bill of this unnecessary drain on NHS resources. Same goes for all late night  treatment needed because of drinking.

I read recently that at least one NHS trust is starting this practice, although |I can''t remember the details. It would be about time. The NHS is primarily intended for people who are genuinly sick through no fault of their own not for the treatment of drunken brawlers who go looking for trouble from the outset. Hit them in the pocket.

Extra policing at football grounds is charged to the club and reflected in ticket prices, us again.

[quote user="Harry"]It''s not the first time they''ve kicked off in Gt Yarmouth, they did after a match back in the early 80''s, they were smashing up a club on the seafront and the word went round the pubs in the town centre and everyone legged it down there and taught them a lesson, the old bill were bricking it a wouldn''t step foot in the place.[/quote]I was in a bar called The Wheel (?) in Yarmouth last time that happened.....A night to remember.

[quote user="Harry"]It''s not the first time they''ve kicked off in Gt Yarmouth, they did after a match back in the early 80''s, they were smashing up a club on the seafront and the word went round the pubs in the town centre and everyone legged it down there and taught them a lesson, the old bill were bricking it a wouldn''t step foot in the place.[/quote]

Ah the ''Old Bill'' - set me wondering about the origin of the species!

These are the musings of the Met.

Origins of the name "Old Bill"

We are often asked about the origins of "The Old Bill" or "The Bill" as slang names for the police. The simple answer is that no one really knows for sure. Over the years at least 13 different possibilities have been proposed, as follows:

1. "Old Bill" was King William IV, whose constables were an early form of police. (It is often said erroneously that he was on the throne when the police were founded. Actually he did not succeed George IV until 1830)
  2. The play "The Custom of the Country" written by John Fletcher in 1619 has constables of the watch refer to themselves as ''us peacemakers and all our bill of authority''.
  3. Constables of the watch were sometimes nicknamed for the bills, or billhooks they carried as weapons.
  4. Kaiser Wilhelm I of Prussia visited England around the time in 1864 when the police uniform changed from top hat and swallowtail coat to helmet and tunic. Such ''Prussian militarism'' may have led to the police being nicknamed after the first (and today less remembered) Kaiser Bill.
  5. The ''old bill'' was, in Victorian times, a bill presumed to be presented by the police for a bribe to persuade them to turn a blind eye to some nefarious activity.
  6. New laws for the police to enforce all come from bills passed through Parliament
  7. "Old Bill" might refer to Bill Bailey of the music hall song ''Won''t You Come Home...?'' used in conjunction with a pun on the Central Criminal Court at the Old Bailey.
  8. In the 1860s there was a Sergeant Bill Smith in Limehouse. He was a popular character and people used to ask after ''Old Bill''.
  9. Many police officers wore authoritarian-looking "Old Bill" moustaches like that adorning a famous W.W.1 cartoon character ''the wily old soldier in the trenches'' by Bruce Bairnsfather.
  10. In 1917 the government used Bairnsfather''s character in posters and advertisements putting over wartime messages under the heading "Old Bill says...". For this campaign the character was dressed in a special constable''s uniform.
  11. The original vehicles used by the Flying Squad all had the registration letters BYL, so the squad became known as ''the Bill''.
  12. The London County Council at one time registered all police, fire and ambulance vehicles with the letters BYL
  13. According to old Etonian illegal gaming club organizer and author the late Robin Cook (''Derek Raymond''), ''old bill'' is a racing term for an outsider or unknown quantity. From the point of view of the underworld, police would be outsiders

Despite all these suggestions, the earliest documented usage traced by the Metropolitan Police Historical Museum is from 1970 and ''Partridge''s Dictionary of Slang''. Without giving citations the book dates "Old Bill" from the 1950s "or perhaps earlier". So the term may possibly be post W.W.2.

Well, there you have it!

OTBC

[quote user="Harry"]Is that the one that used to be behind the tower?[/quote]That''s the one Harry.  A bit rough and ready but it was a pit stop on the way to the Tower. The Floral Hall in Gorleston was another regular venue.... the Country and Western nights were a sight to be seen!

Went in there a few times, used to usually ended up in Studio 80 on a Saturday night.

Not heard anyone talk about the Floral Hall for a long while, everyone refers to it as the Ocean Rooms or "Rooms" now.

I miss the swimming pool that was beside it, you can''t beat oudoor swimming pools, have some very happy memories of summers spent down there although I will never forget a friend of mine drowning in there after a late night swim when he was stoned.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"][quote user="Harry"]Is that the one that used to be behind the tower?[/quote]

That''s the one Harry.  A bit rough and ready but it was a pit stop on the way to the Tower.

The Floral Hall in Gorleston was another regular venue.... the Country and Western nights were a sight to be seen!
[/quote]

Did you piss in the yacht pond like that estwhile leader of that former inner circle then?

OTBC

OTBC

[quote user="Harry"]Went in there a few times, used to usually ended up in Studio 80 on a Saturday night.

Not heard anyone talk about the Floral Hall for a long while, everyone refers to it as the Ocean Rooms or "Rooms" now.

I miss the swimming pool that was beside it, you can''t beat oudoor swimming pools, have some very happy memories of summers spent down there although I will never forget a friend of mine drowning in there after a late night swim when he was stoned.[/quote]Yeah, you''ll have to go to Beccles now, if you want the Gorleston outdoor pool experience. It''s a good ''un though!Anyway, back on topic. Yeah, I remember Villa fans being in GY in about ''89 and two started on my mate. Thing is, he was a big as a brick shit house and did some martial arts or something, so he could really handle himself; he just pushed them back and told them to f*** off.As foir Villa fans. Idiots, they get a bit of sea air and they''re off. I guess that''s what happens when you live in a shit hole. Yeah, they should be sent the bill and be banged up too. Footy doesn''t need these sprt of retards.

[quote user="Frankel"]

Did you piss in the wind like the wannabe Rasclart from de islands?

[/quote]

Your ''Rasclart'' is actually two separate words.

OTBC

There were an abundance of groups of Villa ''fans'' in the City bars and clubs last night......Quite vocal and boorish.....but, good natured.

[quote user="Harry"]Went in there a few times, used to usually ended up in Studio 80 on a Saturday night.

I miss the swimming pool that was beside it, you can''t beat oudoor swimming pools, have some very happy memories of summers spent down there although I will never forget a friend of mine drowning in there after a late night swim when he was stoned.[/quote]Yes you''re right it was the Ocean Rooms. The Oak Rooms in Oak Street was my main venue going further back to the 60s. They had some pretty good ''groups'' play there... since becoming known as ''bands'' of course!Happy days. [:)]

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="Harry"]One of my mates is on the night shift at the Hospital, that''s how I found out.[/quote]

They should be made to pay for it, say £50.00 each. Why should we foot the bill of this unnecessary drain on NHS resources. Same goes for all late night  treatment needed because of drinking.

I read recently that at least one NHS trust is starting this practice, although |I can''t remember the details. It would be about time. The NHS is primarily intended for people who are genuinly sick through no fault of their own not for the treatment of drunken brawlers who go looking for trouble from the outset. Hit them in the pocket.

Extra policing at football grounds is charged to the club and reflected in ticket prices, us again.

[/quote]And if you''re on an innocent night out and get jumped, will you get charged £50 too? It''s a nice idea but it could never work in practice.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"][quote user"Harry"]The Oak Rooms in Oak Street was my main venue going further back to the 60s. They had some pretty good ''groups'' play there... since becoming known as ''bands'' of course!Happy days. [:)][/quote]Now this thread has gone completely off topic.....[:)]Can never understand why '' groups '' call themselves '' bands ''. I thought all bands could play musical instruments ?

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

And if you''re on an innocent night out and get jumped, will you get charged £50 too? It''s a nice idea but it could never work in practice.
[/quote]

True, but it might act as a deterrent and most incidents are cut and dried.

Society is having to change and a re-consideration of traditional values is necessary because of the economic situation. Our beloved Government is getting tougher on the benefits culture and I believe that this type of legislation regarding loutish behaviour will be part of this move. People who are an unecessary drain on our stretched resources should be made to pay for their actions in any way feasable. In this respect, the summer riots have been a watershed with everything from street cleaning citizens to very tough sentencing in the courts. 

I am no right winger, nor reactionary, nor saint, but I suppose that I have become less tolerant with age and resent individuals who threaten the society that I have spent years contributing to. The vast majority of decent individuals who go about their business, pay their dues and keep within the confines of the law deserve better than being forced to carry the total burden of the actions of those who contribute little except destruction and then demand their "rights."

It hasn''t taken long after the ending of the season for some old fossil to start sounding off with non-footballing matters.

Sorry. IMO Aston Villa is currently a club with far more problems than we have. It would be a headache move for PL and he is not daft.

I thought they were a pretty good set of fans actually. Good humoured, and good use of fancy dress. Load at times too, which is to their credit considering the pile of sh*te being served up by their team.

[quote user="morty"]I thought they were a pretty good set of fans actually. Good humoured, and good use of fancy dress. Load at times too, which is to their credit considering the pile of sh*te being served up by their team.
[/quote]

Yes agree. Brummies are a pretty docile lot and nice too. I lived there long enough to know. This topic started with the kick-off in Yarmouth and has become more generalised. From Great Yarmouth to Croydon in two pages.