Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Did Lambert get the subs wrong?

I read this on another forum but I also think that he got the subs wrong.

Johnson was doing well closing down the Man City

players so should he have stayed on. Pilkington was doing well creating chances

and protecting Adam Drury. I agree that it was actually Howson that was anonymous

and he should have been replaced by Surman.

Johnson was doing well closing down the Man City players so should he have stayed on. Pilkington was doing well creating chances and protecting Adam Drury. I agree that it was actually Howson that was anonymous and he should have been replaced by Surman.

[quote user="Ben "]I don''t think he got the subs wrong. When he brought on Surman and Hoolahan we looked much better and then obviously Surman the substitute scored. Where the game changed was when Yaya Toure came on and bossed the midfield.[/quote]Bringing on Surman was a good idea, but he should have been on for Howson. Another thing Lambert got wrong was bringing on Morison when he had already taken off Pilkington. Morison needs crosses in to the box.

Methinks Pilks was feeling his ''injury''. The other subs are a matter of opinion by us lot, taken without any knowledge of what Lambo and Culverhouse are planning for the game itself or for the future.

For what it''s worth I would have Jackson rather Morison. The latter I feel may be on borrowed time.

The half time subs were a surprise, but can hardly be said to be ''wrong'' as they worked well: following them and the formation tweak we had a great spell and on another day could easily have got to 2-2 and the game would have been ''on''.

Hoolahan''s link-up play and Surman''s goal got us back in the game. Had

we not conceded a sloppy third goal we could have had a

chance of getting something. Heads dropped a bit at that point, which

is a shame. But the Man City attack was ruthless.Lambert has got us where we are through being bold. I''m happy with his tactical choices today and I think our youngsters will learn from the experience.

i thought we needed an extra body in the midfield... i would have *tin hat on* Taken holt off and bought fox on at half time.. but then im not Paul lambert.

Well no, because we very quickly got back into the game and one of the subs scored. Lambo gambled and for a while it paid off, unfortunately we were just blown away by sheer quality on top form.

Also Pilks put a massive effort into the first half and must have been feeling the effects of ''not having trained much for 2 weeks''.

[quote user="Tao of Lambert"]Well no, because we very quickly got back into the game and one of the subs scored. Lambo gambled and for a while it paid off, unfortunately we were just blown away by sheer quality on top form.

Also Pilks put a massive effort into the first half and must have been feeling the effects of ''not having trained much for 2 weeks''.[/quote]Lambert said Pilkington went off for tactical reasons.Yes, I think Surman should have come on, but it should have been for Howson.

This may sound overly critical but I would like to see how many times we have won with a diamond midfield this season.

When deployed Vs Spurs earlier in the season we were torn appart.

With big strikers on you need width.

We didnt loose because of that though. We lost because after the first ten to fifteen of the second half we began to back off. You cant afford to give teams that good space.

I really don''t know which game you were watching, but Howson played very well. (MOM by the sponsors I believe?)

Holty had a very average game for him, that to some, perhaps it should have been him, and not Wilbraham, that should have gone off for Morison?

Pilkington had an amazing first 25 mins and then looked like he was hanging on from then on in, not chasing down etc, perhaps a slight injury/fitness. 

Hoolahan (PL!) changed our style, to such a degree that they had to put Toure on to counter him. 

Surman obviously scored, so you can''t really not justify his presence.

Johnson was doing a very good job, but we needed to be more proactive at 2-0 down.

I think taking Johnson off was a forced move, quite early on in the frst half he was bending down holding his calf a couple of times when the ball was out of play and looked like he was struggling. Pity because he was playing well up to that point.

We did just as well, if not better from 45 mins up until their first goal.

Surman scored, and they couldn''t touch Hoolahan. Every time he got the ball he did something productive, once he was surrounded by four Man.C players, looked like he was either going to lose the ball or get fouled, still found a way out and passed it. Considering they have so many small and tricky players, they didn''t have the first idea on how to stop Hoolahan. He ran the game, and we really should have scored more than one (and we should have scored before they went 1-0 up).

After the 3rd goal, and then the very quick 4th, the team were just deflated. I didn''t blame them, to be honest they were playing just as well as they did on Monday up until that point, they must have felt terrible and very hard done by, ok there professionals and should carry on, which they tried to do and we still had a couple of great chances. But after having so many decent chances, holding them off so much, to them go 3 goals down very quickly because of a keeper mistake and then a fantastic goal (better than that so called wonder goal Ben Arfa scored last week).

Subs weren''t to blame, at 2-0 down we nearly nearly pulled ourselves back in, subs key to that. Then quickfire double from City, which they have the ability to do against pretty much anything, is going to seriously dent any sides confidence.