Sign in to follow this  
barclay seats 4849

First all english prem team for 7 years !

Apparently ...... our  team fielded for the match at White Hart Lane was the first team made up of 11 players all  born in the UK sine the 2005/2006 premiership season !!

Surely this deserves more of a mention in the media ,,, ? As we seem to struggle to produce an England squad , possibly due to so many  foreign players in the EPL ?

I think you''ll have to distinguish between UK & England as obviously it makes a difference in this case!

All our players were English born though, Martin and Pilkington have just decided they are Scottish and Irish. Although Pilks hasn''t played for Ireland yet, maybe he has a chance with England? Along with Howson, R.Bennett and Ruddy. All fairly young and doing well.

I think that''s part of Lambert''s success.... and I reckon the players love it too.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]All our players were English born though, Martin and Pilkington have just decided they are Scottish and Irish. Although Pilks hasn''t played for Ireland yet, maybe he has a chance with England? Along with Howson, R.Bennett and Ruddy. All fairly young and doing well.[/quote]As I understand, Pilkington has only played for Ireland u-21''s, as such he can ''change'' his international alliegence to England if a call up comes along. And yes, Pilkington should get a call up to England, IMO, 23 years old (time to improve) Left or Right winger (England have problems with left midfielders) and 8 Premier League goals in his first season? If I was manager, yes please!

I think ''English'' as a first language is the main thing.... and coming from the likes of the US, Canada or Australia etc. is much the same thing.It''s the culture differences I think which can unsettle the unity of players.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]I think ''English'' as a first language is the main thing.... and coming from the likes of the US, Canada or Australia etc. is much the same thing.

It''s the culture differences I think which can unsettle the unity of players.
[/quote]

Poppycock, the 3 best teams in Premier League history (Arsenal''s Invincibles, Mourniho''s Chelsea and Man U ''99 Squad) were all full of players from all over the world.

It isn''t about nationality but about personality.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]I think ''English'' as a first language is the main thing.... and coming from the likes of the US, Canada or Australia etc. is much the same thing.It''s the culture differences I think which can unsettle the unity of players.[/quote]

Poppycock, the 3 best teams in Premier League history (Arsenal''s Invincibles, Mourniho''s Chelsea and Man U ''99 Squad) were all full of players from all over the world.

[/quote]Disagree by all means.... but if you think the Arsenal, Chelsea teams etc. ran smoothly you''re very naive.... The tranfer system is littlered with expensive players who ''didn''t fit in''...... and it wasn''t simply because nobody liked them. We don''t have the money to play such ''personality'' games.Paul Lambert''s policy is a deliberate one.... and it works.

Too simplistic by far. You get English players who don''t fit in at certain places but do so elsewhere. You get U.K. players who don''t fit in at certain places but do so elsewhere. You get foreign players who don''t fit in at certain places but do so elsewhere. Conclusion? You tell me.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]I think ''English'' as a first language is the main thing.... and coming from the likes of the US, Canada or Australia etc. is much the same thing.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Spot on Beth. Ignore the small minded "Little Englanders". Danny Pacheco fitted in just fine last season. It was perfectly obvious to anyone who went how he was part of our team ethic.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Disagree by all means.... but if you think the Arsenal, Chelsea teams etc. ran smoothly you''re very naive.... The tranfer system is littlered with expensive players who ''didn''t fit in''...... and it wasn''t simply because nobody liked them. We don''t have the money to play such ''personality'' games.

Paul Lambert''s policy is a deliberate one.... and it works.
[/quote]

The deliberate policy Lambert has is to scout players thoroughly and not pick up a Goran Maric or Simon Whaley due to someone telling you they are decent.

There have of course been problems at teams like Chelsea, although most of them have been caused by John Terry, Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard. No ''cultural differences'' there.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]I think ''English'' as a first language is the main thing.... and coming from the likes of the US, Canada or Australia etc. is much the same thing.It''s the culture differences I think which can unsettle the unity of players.[/quote]

[/quote]Disagree by all means.... but if you think the Arsenal, Chelsea teams etc. ran smoothly you''re very naive.... The tranfer system is littlered with expensive players who ''didn''t fit in''...... and it wasn''t simply because nobody liked them. We don''t have the money to play such ''personality'' games.Paul Lambert''s policy is a deliberate one.... and it works.[/quote]

The deliberate policy Lambert has is to scout players thoroughly and not pick up a Goran Maric or Simon Whaley due to someone telling you they are decent.

There have of course been problems at teams like Chelsea, although most of them have been caused by John Terry, Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard. No ''cultural differences'' there.

[/quote]That''s just weak management in Chelsea''s case.... and it''s pretty clear that Terry has racism issues. Whether we like it or not, a lot of footballers come from ''working class'' stock and overseas cultures aren''t always well tolerated within their background. Politicians and human rights campaigners can protest all they like about what''s right and what''s wrong.... but many people in this country are still much happier with ''their own kind''.It''s not a ''skin'' thing.... it''s a culture and attitude issue.

Seems like the media have finally picked up on this..........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2127956/Made-England-How-home-talent-got-Norwich-singing.html

I think this was a deliberate ploy by Lambert by picking all English players and sending them out with a motivational message to impress Redknapp and force Holt into the future England manager''s reckoning after the previous weeks debate. It worked !!!

I think we end up with British players, including Americans with Scouse accents and Spaniards who have grown up in UK reserve sides because he can watch and evaluate these boys for himself, nothing more than that.

Having said that, too many British players never get a chance because of the widely cast net of so many EPL sides, and Lambert does give people a chance.

Lambert is proving British players have the technique and application to succeed at the highest level to go with their natural effort and competitiveness.

I said it a while ago, but Lambert ( and Rogers) are doing a real service to the home game because if the Home Countries want to compete they need their players to play at the highest level. It can be done and we are showing how.