Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

stop changing the team!!

Lambert really needs to play a setled side for the last 9 games instead of changing team and formation each week!! Surely this cannot help the players by changing the system all the time!! Nobody else appears to chop and change like we do!

Didn''t effect the team too much earlier in the season...

Was the team the same for the QPR, WBA, Swansea, Bolton wins and Chelsea draw? QPR, Chelsea, WBA. Sunderland, Bolton, Swansea was a pretty good run of games for us...

Other teams do chop and change, Man.U for example, wouldn''t be surprised if Fergie hadn''t kept the same starting X1 for 20 years. Ok they have a ''bigger'' squad, but still, the same team doesn''t equal good results...

but thats exactly the point Ginge, we do not have fantastiacally gifted players in every position!!!! and yes we played well at the start of the season mainly because we played virtually the same team instead of 4 or 5 changes each week!!!

I''m sure Lambert would love to have a settled X1, or maybe he wouldn''t. But he doesn''t even have a preferred formation, he has plenty of squad players. And even players you might identify as key starters, like Holt or even Hoolahan, get left out from time to time...

must admit i am also getting q bit frustrated with the number of changes, a couple is fine but 4 or 5 every game is too much. this is particularly true when there have been no new injuries

Also tends to suggest we are now changing things for the opposition rather than taking the initiative against teams

[quote user="baldyboy"]Lambert really needs to play a setled side for the last 9 games instead of changing team and formation each week!! Surely this cannot help the players by changing the system all the time!! Nobody else appears to chop and change like we do!
[/quote]

I''m sure Lambert knows what he''s doing!

The OP is right we were absolutley awful today away from home to a top 6 side and lost 5-0.

Hmmmm or did we pass them off the field for most of the match and lose to a stunning strike and a world class save from a great keeper???  I forget.

Not to sure what game you were watching Muddy Funster but we certainly did not "pass them off the field". We had some nice spells of possession and passing but they were in areas that were never going to hurt them. Not a poor performance by any means but very lacking in any final quarter of the pitch creativity and quality. Missed Wes.

We were poor in the final quarter of the pitch I agree, but I was wholely impressed by our passing today under pressure from a side who had clearly been sent out to close us down quickly to stop our passing game. Maybe pass them off the field was too much but it was less absurd than the OP''s post.  We looked excellent on the ball but dawdled again when trying to cross.  We definitely had more successful passes and looked the more comfortable on the ball.  The only reason the home side were a threat was due to their excellent duo up front who were a real threat, chased everything and got stuck in as well.

"For me the slump has been since Ward came back". For me it''s been since we lost momentum by needlessly resting players in the Leicester game.

Wow, its all Wards and resting three players (less than we changed today by the way) players against Leicester...

Ward was good today, better than Whitbread I thought...

The results up to the Leicester game and after it speak for themselves Ginge. There has been a clear dropping of perfomance since that game (Man U apart was decent) Winning breeds confidence, had we approached that game correctly we prob we have won it and been looking forward to a FA cup q final today.

played them off the field? world class strike? stunning save? Wow I would love to know what game you watched!! we were awful first half but a lot better second half, and yet again had Ruddy to thank for not losing more heavily!!!

I watched the sae game you did. Wow. I also shared the opinion with the Sky pundits. Oh, and Tim Krul said it was one of his best saves.  Awful first half?  You really have been spoilt with our meteoric rise haven''t you.  You are like a Man Utd fan who thinks we should win every game and cries if we don''t

Yes JF, I understand your frustration but Leicester went off the boil after playing us and look what happened to Cardiff after their ''brave'' Carling Cup final.

No, I think Lambo is making too many changes every game. I have no idea what is going at the moment but once again, for me, it was the wrong team with wrong subs made at the wrong time. Very similar to Wigan and Sunderland.

Ps Bloody Green strip and TV cameras

No I dont think we should win every game at all! I am happy with where we are but I dont see how people can say we played Newcastle off the park, thats all! If we were that good why didnt we have more chances than they did?

Agree about the subs and changes bury yellow but I still feel the momentum was lost. Leading up to the Leicester game we had won 6 games in 8 in all comps ending with arguably our best performance of the season playing Swansea of the park. Then the Leicester game and the attitude from the top was all wrong, The momentum was lost and the performances have not reached the same levels since.

I like looking at the opposition and making tactical and subtle differences, it is essential.But I would agree that we do not have the players yet to really do this with great confidence. That is due to our incredible run and staying in this division was always our aim. Now we have to secure it.The past has happened now, these games have gone and certainly we had Wigan and Newcastle where if we played up to our ability we should have picked up more points.We haven''t and we move on to Wolves where we need to pick up all three points. We need to be eager and at it from the word go. Howson can play in the midfield with his energy and drive and two upfront. We have to play with wingers who want to get crosses in, we have to play to get the most from our forwards. Who will score goals.4-4-2 and I can''t wait for Ayala to get fit or Bennett to prove his worth. For me not too many hcanges in the next game and then begin to have a settled team.

[quote user="First Wizard"]For me the slump has been since Ward came back.[/quote]

I thought Ward, Howson and Bennett were our best 3 today. Funny how different people see a different game.

Rotating the squad has its advantages and disadvantages and I think we should leave it to a couple per game but I would like us to change to a 4-4-2 formation next week.

We definitely need to play two up front against one of the worst teams in the league and we must play with wingers.  Also on the evidence of today Fox and Howson look like a good pairing in centre midfield.

We haven''t seen this formation an awful lot this season and I don''t know why because I think it suits us down to the ground.

Boyo'' think that is the team that I would play, we have brought in Pilky and EB for their ability out wide. Time to show it with Howson driving through the midfield and Fox sitting back (although he needs to up his game).I think today the one player who stood out of the outfield players was Howson, in fact he was clearly the best outfield player we had today. Ruddy however was our man of the match, fantastic saves and can rightly be angry about the defending for the goal.Ward not running through to stop the ball coming in and Whitbread''s sluggish reaction to Cisse''s run. Yes it hit his shin and flew in the top corner, but you make your own luck.But 4-4-2 for sure next week. Ireally hope EB''s hard work can come to show with some great crossing and Pilky can show some of the quality he has, as I feel in the systems we have played recently with them we haven''t been giving them the attacking duties that they desire. Hoolahoops out wide would still be very good. But 4-4-2 is needed

[quote user="smooth"]Boyo'' think that is the team that I would play, we have brought in Pilky and EB for their ability out wide. Time to show it with Howson driving through the midfield and Fox sitting back (although he needs to up his game).

I think today the one player who stood out of the outfield players was Howson, in fact he was clearly the best outfield player we had today. Ruddy however was our man of the match, fantastic saves and can rightly be angry about the defending for the goal.

Ward not running through to stop the ball coming in and Whitbread''s sluggish reaction to Cisse''s run. Yes it hit his shin and flew in the top corner, but you make your own luck.

But 4-4-2 for sure next week. Ireally hope EB''s hard work can come to show with some great crossing and Pilky can show some of the quality he has, as I feel in the systems we have played recently with them we haven''t been giving them the attacking duties that they desire. Hoolahoops out wide would still be very good. But 4-4-2 is needed
[/quote]

Agreed.  We have two big centre forwards who thrive on quality crosses into the box but yet we very rarely play two strikers with two wingers.  If we can get Bennett and Pilkington providing crosses for Holt and Morison with Howson driving forward from midfield with Fox as the dictator and Naughton and Drury providing support from the full back positions and Hoolahan coming on as an impact sub we could really be on to something.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="First Wizard"]For me the slump has been since Ward came back.[/quote]

I thought Ward, Howson and Bennett were our best 3 today. Funny how different people see a different game.
[/quote]

Only on Ward Ricardo.....I''m with you on the others, especially Howson.

[quote user="baldyboy"]Lambert really needs to play a setled side for the last 9 games instead of changing team and formation each week!! Surely this cannot help the players by changing the system all the time!! Nobody else appears to chop and change like we do![/quote]playing the same 11 means you become one dimensional and predictable.play the same side for 7 games then change 9 of the 11 for the last 2, we''d give Villa a spanking and a half!dont forget scouts watch games for tactical weaknesses and seeing the same 11 faces every week makes their job much easier.